Sponsored by:

Audi TT RS vs. Porsche Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Lots of hate for a really nice car.

At first glance I wouldn't really think too many people would cross shop a TTRS and a Cayman, but that's probably not true because there's not really much else out there that competes head to head with the Cayman.

I've ALWAYS liked the TTRS, and pretty much anything else Audi slaps an RS badge on. I think what gets lost in comparisons like these is that there really is no comparison for folks who are drawn to Porsche, from an aesthetics to "feel" perspective... but they're both similarly priced with similar practicality. To put it simply, I wouldn't spend my money on a TTRS when I know it doesn't have a back seat and I could just as easily spend that money on a Cayman.

All that said though, it's still a car that I would absolutely notice and be excited to see (and hear) if I saw it on the street or at cars and coffee. To each their own, but are the "overturned bathtub" comments really necessary?

On that note, seems like wriggly just had a substantial personality conflict with the sales guy at the Audi dealer. Not sure that's entirely his fault. If he's just telling you about its exclusivity I don't see how that's enough to turn you off on purchasing the car. Sometimes we just meet people we just don't like.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:11 AM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
are the "overturned bathtub" comments really necessary?
What about the squashed bug comment?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take one round a track or along a back road - the decision is very self evident
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but I’ve always thought of the Audi TT as a women’s sports car. In fact, my neighbor’s wife own one. Just looks girly to me.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:50 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Had to bump this. This is crazy. APR just ran 9s.... 9s in the TTRS with just a turbo upgrade (in the stock turbo housing). The Bugatti Veyron runs 9s. This is a few grand worth of parts.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Had to bump this. This is crazy. APR just ran 9s.... 9s in the TTRS with just a turbo upgrade (in the stock turbo housing). The Bugatti Veyron runs 9s. This is a few grand worth of parts.

https://youtu.be/ySNrfkVwsHE
That is really impressive. I remember you had to basically tear down the entire engine and drivetrain to run 9s in a DSM back in the day. This one has one more cylinder but yes... very impressive.

That said... not sure it really helps the argument vs a Cayman, which I just don't think of as a drag car. Of course 1/4 mile times are relevant, but it's not why people buy these cars.

Also... it's not a TTRS.

Quick Reply: Audi TT RS vs. Porsche Cayman S