Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Audi TT RS vs. Porsche Cayman S

Audi TT RS vs. Porsche Cayman S
By Mark Muhoro

Has the Audi TT RS finally outdone the Porsche 718 Cayman S? Find out more inside.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:35 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-04-2018, 03:06 AM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

haaaaahaaaaaaahaaaa
Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I notice they were frightened to compare the acceleration using real data and similar transmissions, and the Porsche still came out ahead.

BTW, in my eyes the styling of the Audi isn't even close to the elegance of the Porsche (Boxster or Cayman!).
Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 AM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove one before I bought my GTS and it just reminded me of an upturned bathtub.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Man, tough crowd. I would 100% pick the 718 over the TTRS too (at least 718S and GTS, maybe base), but the TTRS is a pretty sweet car. The acceleration metrics for similar transmissions are about the same for 718GTS and TTRS (close to 3.5 to 60, 11.9 or so in the quarter). Audi's bigger problem is they somehow make everything feel like an appliance compared to Porsche and even BMW.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Man, tough crowd. I would 100% pick the 718 over the TTRS too (at least 718S and GTS, maybe base), but the TTRS is a pretty sweet car. The acceleration metrics for similar transmissions are about the same for 718GTS and TTRS (close to 3.5 to 60, 11.9 or so in the quarter). Audi's bigger problem is they somehow make everything feel like an appliance compared to Porsche and even BMW.
Dont get me wrong, I love the sound of the 5 banger and it's spectacular in launch mode. Actually at 6' 4" it fit me a tad better than the Cayman GTS. The salesman treated me like a boob and lectured me for close to 10 minutes about how exclusive they are and sooo hard to get, blah, blah blah. I finally looked him square in the eye and put up my hand and said "excuse me kid" "I have grandkids older than you and I don't feel like listening to anymore BS." I left and a week later I went to my local Porsche dealer where they treated me like royalty.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Wriggly, you should share this story with the sales manager of that dealership.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Wriggly, you should share this story with the sales manager of that dealership.
I actually did, with a follow up call and he defended the salesman relating that he was one of his best and most knowledgeable associates. He went on to offer to have someone else take care of me. He just didn't get it I'm afraid.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I notice they were frightened to compare the acceleration using real data and similar transmissions, and the Porsche still came out ahead.

BTW, in my eyes the styling of the Audi isn't even close to the elegance of the Porsche (Boxster or Cayman!).
?

The TTRS does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and the 1/4 in 11.6 at 119mph
The CS in 4.1 seconds at a 12.4 at 115mph.

In real live there are already TTRS folks running 10s with just at tune. Certainly not stating its a better car but it is definitely a faster car acceleration wise.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 03:36 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
?

The TTRS does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and the 1/4 in 11.6 at 119mph
The CS in 4.1 seconds at a 12.4 at 115mph.

In real live there are already TTRS folks running 10s with just at tune. Certainly not stating its a better car but it is definitely a faster car acceleration wise.

Mike
Not exactly a fair comparison in this video. The TT RS is dual clutch auto vs manuals in the other cars. Make the 718 the GTS version with the PDK and it'd be a tad closer methinks. Not just about straight line speed however. Not Too many cars can compare to the 718 in the looks dept.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:47 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Auto vs auto and the S is just a tick behind the TT RS. I can't help but wonder how the extra 15 hp in the GTS would stack up. I test drove a TT RS and the styling reminded me too much of a squashed VW bug with a spoiler.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:02 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wriggly
Auto vs auto and the S is just a tick behind the TT RS. I can't help but wonder how the extra 15 hp in the GTS would stack up. I test drove a TT RS and the styling reminded me too much of a squashed VW bug with a spoiler.

https://m.youtu

Originally Posted by wriggly

Not exactly a fair comparison in this video. The TT RS is dual clutch auto vs manuals in the other cars. Make the 718 the GTS version with the PDK and it'd be a tad closer methinks. Not just about straight line speed however. Not Too many cars can compare to the 718 in the looks dept.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3cD25

Nobody read the article then? It compared a PDK vs DSG. The CS and the TTRS which are both cars in the 65K+ price range (the Pcar actually getting more pricey than the TTRS quickly).

That video did not show a "tic" lol. Thats a significant difference. Trap speeds dont lie.

Here's a video. APR just ran a 10.55 in the 1/4 mile on the RS3 which has the same engine as the TTRS but is a tad SLOWER....

The only thing on the car was a flash tune uploaded via the OBD port.... thats it.

Dont get me wrong, Id enjoy the handling of the porsche much better and I happen to prefer the styling but dont fool yourself into thinking the pcar is as fast. Its not.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM
wriggly
Advanced

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Nobody read the article then? It compared a PDK vs DSG. The CS and the TTRS which are both cars in the 65K+ price range (the Pcar actually getting more pricey than the TTRS quickly).

That video did not show a "tic" lol. Thats a significant difference. Trap speeds dont lie.

Here's a video. APR just ran a 10.55 in the 1/4 mile on the RS3 which has the same engine as the TTRS but is a tad SLOWER....

The only thing on the car was a flash tune uploaded via the OBD port.... thats it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1x-LbrP4Dg

Dont get me wrong, Id enjoy the handling of the porsche much better and I happen to prefer the styling but dont fool yourself into thinking the pcar is as fast. Its not.

Mike
I did read the article, and as it stated in the verdict, I chose the 718 for exactly those reasons. Someone recently ran a 718 GTS in Tennessee in 60 degree temps and did a couple of high 11 second runs. I've had my fill of straight line fast cars.
Yes its faster, but it still looks like a squashed bug.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:52 AM
wriggly
Advanced

The TT RS I test drove was sold shortly after and I had to laugh the dealer got the car back and is selling it now as used for virtually the same money. Can't help but wonder how many "Launch Control Miles" out of the 600 plus miles in its short first ownership.

https://www.continentalaudi.com/used...8da0207d2c.htm

Quick Reply: Audi TT RS vs. Porsche Cayman S