Sponsored by:

Alienated 718 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
The 718 is just the new kid to pick on. It's not 981 owners so much as it is Porsche owners. I've been on this forum for over a decade and it's always the same thing, just which flavor you want. The air-cooled people hate on the water cooled people, the 911 people hate on the Boxster people, the car people hate on the SUV people, the naturally aspirated people hate on the forced induction ones and pretty much everyone hates on the Panamera. There's so much tiny dick syndrome among Porsche owners it staggers the imagination. Bottom line......enjoy your car and don't pay attention to what others thing of it (especially other Porsche owners).
Ha! Panamera...that cracked me up. Well said overall. Haters going to hate, nothing to see here, let's just all move on. +1
Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't get why RL doesn't separate the 981 and 718 forums. In a Porsche vacuum, they have starkly different ethos in a powerplant respect. Different cars, different owners, often different fans.

Same for the 991's. The N/A and turbo guys are after different experiences and value some different things. To me.. again within a Porsche vacuum.. they're entirely different cars. The gridlock of "1 vs 2" would end with a simple forum split.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

718 Guys - Don't feel bad. I remember a car I had everyone used to make jokes about: The 1999-2002 BMW M coupe. Clown shoe, roller skate, baseball cap blah blah. Did it make me like the car any less? No, because I knew I had one of the best sports cars around. Now look at the values of those cars.

As for the 718, I think the car is FAR underrated and it was the catalyst for selling my 911 GT3 and going back to a GT4.

The sound is great, it's just different from the flat six. It's a very fun car with great balance. Why didn't I buy a 718 instead of the GT4? Well the GT4 for me was my first porsche and I have an emotional attachment to it. I had configured a pretty badass 718 Cayman GTS. I was close to pulling the trigger. Then I started calculating mods for track days. And I did love the GT4. So I found a great one so I snapped it up.

The 718 is a great deal because you can negotiate on them. I'll never question or knock a person buying a 718. It's really the best kept secret in Porsche's lineup. The flat four is really cool and sounds great in its own way.

Personally if the next GT4 has a flat 4 turbo I'll probably buy one if the price makes sense.

Also just be confident in your choice. Don't look for validation of your choices on the internet. You'll be disappointed. Go carve up some mountain roads in your 718 instead.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

718 seems pretty cool to me. I am looking forward to see how it develops as a club racing car down the line.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:25 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Got my 981 BGTS for my 40th birthday. Have a bad, bad feeling a 718 Spyder will be my 45th birthday present if it has a NA flat six. I look forward to joining the 718 club.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Part of the problem is the validation. I’ve seen multiple posts where someone asks an opinion between the 718 and 981. What’s funny is that many who post the question have already made up their mind regarding their purchase so you inevitably get a group fo 981 owners that will opine that their cars are better than the 718 and vice versa.

Mark my words, 8 years from now we’ll have someone inquiring if getting an electric Boxster is better than the outgoing 4 cylinder and those 718 owners are going to argue that the loss of the combustion engine is a major detractor. Change inevitably brings differeng opinions.

A good example, today I brought my Spyder to get smogged and the owner of the smog place is a Porsche nut but his comment to me when I was leaving is that “the Boxster is nice but I really prefer the 911”. Mind you he knows I have a 911 but I said I understand the opinion and I know many feel the same. He acknowledged that the Boxster handles and drives better than the 911 but there’s something about the 911 that he prefers. I’m not one to argue a mans opinion and taste, personally I think we are all entitle to it.

Stop worrying about what others think and start enjoying the drive.
What I noticed on Planet 9 are some very sensitive 718 owners. For example my personal view is that I prefer 6 cylinder NA engines over 4 cylinder turbo charged engines. I don't see that expressing my view is bashing the 718. Just like I don't believe that saying that I prefer blondes to brunettes, means that I'm bashing brunettes. Moreover, as a many decade owner of 911s, on numerous occasions I heard the comment that my 911 is nothing more than an overpriced VW. I didn't brood after hearing those comments, I just assumed that they were made by either uninformed or jealous people. OTOH maybe this is a generational thing and that ole timers like me have a thicker skin than young guys.

Bottom line is that the 718S I test drove has a lot to offer. It's just that it doesn't have enough to get me to shell out $40K plus my car to buy one. I'm fortunate enough to have purchased a 981S which gives me the same pleasure today as it did five years ago.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’m starting to wonder if this is thread is just a plug for the 718 Forum website.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:09 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 969 Likes on 457 Posts

Many feel sounding off here is the only way to let Porsche know we're not happy with a 4 cylinder six figure car. I don't think a lot of the comments are aimed at 718 owners.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Many feel sounding off here is the only way to let Porsche know we're not happy with a 4 cylinder six figure car. I don't think a lot of the comments are aimed at 718 owners.
Good point. If enthusiasts didn't complain about the lack of power in the original 240 HP Boxster, maybe 300 + HP Boxsters wouldn't be offered today.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Good point. If enthusiasts didn't complain about the lack of power in the original 240 HP Boxster, maybe 300 + HP Boxsters wouldn't be offered today.
This is how I’ve taken it. I feel that 718 critics are really aiming most of their criticism at Porsche and that the rest of the criticism towards 718 buyers since they seem to be supporting Porsche’s decisions.

I hate the sound of the 718, but can’t ignore the performance, which is why I don’t get all twisted up over those that bought one.

Also, while straight line speed isn’t everything, it IS something when a Toyota has enough to pass a Porsche. This is why we can’t ignore performance advances entirely.

-Matt
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D

This is how I’ve taken it. I feel that 718 critics are really aiming most of their criticism at Porsche and that the rest of the criticism towards 718 buyers since they seem to be supporting Porsche’s decisions.

I hate the sound of the 718, but can’t ignore the performance, which is why I don’t get all twisted up over those that bought one.

Also, while straight line speed isn’t everything, it IS something when a Toyota has enough to pass a Porsche. This is why we can’t ignore performance advances entirely.

-Matt
Well said. It's a given every new model will have upgraded power, usually bigger brakes, and more advanced electronics. It's what Porsche does. Incremental change just like a computer. Bastards! All out performance has never been at the top of my list. It wasn't important when I sold my 997.2 S and bought a 981 Cayman S. I was very happy to give up power for what I thought was a much more fun car to drive. Shortly after I acquired a gem of a RS60 Spyder as a garage mate for the Cayman S. Even less power but loads of fun and definitely better steering. In fact I liked it more than the 981 so I kept it and sold the 981 for a high spec Cayman R (w/under 2,000 miles). Now I had 2 great 987s and wasn't missing either the 997 S or the 981 S. After 2 years I found a like new 987 Spyder (again under 2,000 miles) and sacrificed the RS60 for it. The 987 Spyder is great but I decided having 2 987s wasn't as good as having one 981 Spyder as it is the best combination of all the factors I value most. So here I am. I love all these mid engine cars. I can have all the fun I want with any of their power outputs. But I can never give up the linear power delivery and noise of the flat 6. It's too much of what Porsche is to me. The handling and steering of these cars are so good that they all satisfy. I fully appreciate all Porsche has done to make the 982 perform to a higher level with the flat 4 but it's just not for me. Like you I have only praise for buyers who the 982 stirs their soul like 987s and my 981 Spyder do mine. Never was fortunate enough to drive a 981 GTS and I'm sure I'd like it greatly as I'm a big fan of the 3.4. They look fantastic too--best of the 981/982 less the 981 GT4/Spyder, which are not really meant to be compared as I see it. I can't wait for Porsche to go electric with this platform and to see how much better it'll perform than a 982. It will. But I won't want one because it won't be raw and visceral enough for me. I'll be happy for those who buy and love 'em.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 03-10-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Believe me Porsche knows it. My local dealer still has new 2017s for sale, and a mass of 2018s. The dealer is having a nighttime NCAA event next week called the Mid-Engine Madness Event to showcase the 718 (and hopefully sell a few). I may stop by for some free food and watch some B-ball

Go Heels!!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

There is a bit of snobbery that happens, not hate. I’ve seen it. The funniest one is on the 991 forum - “Watch Friday”. That’s for posers that want to impress others with their good taste in expensive watches. Hilarious. You just need to laugh at some of it. I would say about 70% could never derive the capabilities out of their cars and buy way beyond their capabilities for bragging rights. My C2 is all that I can handle, and I’ve been thrashing sports cars since I was 16.

OP, I suggest that if you want to see more posts on the 718, post more stuff. But most of all, enjoy your finely crafted Porsche and forget about the small minds.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:57 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't think having a separate sub-forum for 982 is going to change anything. As few others mentioned, there isn't much volume of threads to warrant a separate sub-forum, though we might want to see one. The admins might be looking at the #s primarily.

Though everyone here is educated and be able to afford a Porsche (many with long history of multiple Porsches, past and present), something strange happens to a person's attitude when start typing on a keyboard (or by any other means of input) and posting on an Internet forum. They tend to say things and in a manner they otherwise wouldn't, face-to-face. Assured by anonymity, people tend to act in a questionable manner (to put it mildly). There are lot of members who have met and mingled with one another in real world and possibly made friends. They tend to treat each other with respect, obviously. When they offer a difference of opinion, they would do so with courtesy. Essentially, Internet, being anonymous, doesn't have any such socially accepted norms. As many others have pointed out, 982 drivers need to just ignore the banter and enjoy the ride! It's all about the ride!!

For the record, I do like 982. Now, about that engine note.....! Kidding!!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Though everyone here is educated and be able to afford a Porsche (many with long history of multiple Porsches, past and present), something strange happens to a person's attitude when start typing on a keyboard (or by any other means of input) and posting on an Internet forum. They tend to say things and in a manner they otherwise wouldn't, face-to-face. Assured by anonymity, people tend to act in a questionable manner (to put it mildly). There are lot of members who have met and mingled with one another in real world and possibly made friends. They tend to treat each other with respect, obviously. When they offer a difference of opinion, they would do so with courtesy. Essentially, Internet, being anonymous, doesn't have any such socially accepted norms. :
<<<<< Yep, my real name is my screen name and your explanation is the reason why. If I am writing like an A.H., you’ll know who it is and can call me out. Anyway, these cars are a joy and we are all lucky to have one, whatever it is.

BTW, I am still voting my 2.7 L 981 Cayman as one of my best sports cars.

Quick Reply: Alienated 718 owners