Sponsored by:

Alienated 718 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a few things:
In general there is not a lot of talk about cayman/boxster on here be it 987, 718, 981. Most of the discussion over the last 2 years has been Spyder oriented.
There has been plenty of hate on planet 9 towards the 718, (including from a "moderator") so much that someone actually felt the need to start an anti hate thread. So I would not say it's unique to rennlist. Part of the reason I stopped posting there was because of the continued vitriol towards the 718. Some people just cant move on.
also agree about splitting out the 718 to a separate subform. makes zero sense to have it all lumped together.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:43 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you my experience and why I don't visit this site, or post on it, all that often anymore. I am new to the Porsche brand. A little over a year ago I started researching the Cayman, where I ran across Rennlist and Planet9. After researching, seeing and driving several generations of the Cayman I determined that the 718 Cayman best fit my needs, and have since ordered one. IMO, 718 threads on Rennlist and Planet9 always end up in pissing match as to which Cayman is better than the other (performance vs. sound). That got real old, especially after I made my decision and purchase. The 718Forum is not like that, since it's mostly just 718 owners who post there.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by porker123
I didn't start this post to have a discussion on the 718 sales volumes I was just interested in why this forum appears to have almost eliminated all discussion of the 718 whereas other forums (not just ones dedicated to the 718) still have plenty of discussion on there. I'm not passing judgement, it was just an observation and I was interested in why this was the case.
I was trying to give an answer without being rude. If there was interest in the 718 from owners I assume nothing is preventing them from posting here. If they aren't posting it's not because the site doesn't like 718s, or other Porsche owners don't like 718s, it's because there isn't yet that much to say about 718s. At some point the vendors will make chips and exhausts and all that for it and there will be questions on who makes the loudest and chippiest. Right now, they're all under warranty and half are leased, and I assume the owners (however many!) are enjoying them, not seeking out advice.

This site has a section dedicated to cayman and Cayman S from across all chassis. Why? Beats me, it's fairly sparsely populated. This forum seems to favor Spyders. I really don't think it's anything pernicious.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:52 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by porker123
I didn't start this post to have a discussion on the 718 sales volumes I was just interested in why this forum appears to have almost eliminated all discussion of the 718 whereas other forums (not just ones dedicated to the 718) still have plenty of discussion on there. I'm not passing judgement, it was just an observation and I was interested in why this was the case.
I think you got the answer. Because any 718 owner who comes on here with the audacity to discuss his/her car is (often) treated by a lot of folks (not all) like a second class citizen. Pretty dumb, really.

Truth is, lots of folks got lots of money, and too many of them have convinced themselves that their possession of that money makes them somehow better than other folks and that conceit comes out in blazing colors behind the safety of the keyboard. I've only been around here for three months so take what I say for what it's worth. But the trend was apparent within the first three hours.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:55 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
a few things:
In general there is not a lot of talk about cayman/boxster on here be it 987, 718, 981. Most of the discussion over the last 2 years has been Spyder oriented.
There has been plenty of hate on planet 9 towards the 718, (including from a "moderator") so much that someone actually felt the need to start an anti hate thread. So I would not say it's unique to rennlist. Part of the reason I stopped posting there was because of the continued vitriol towards the 718. Some people just cant move on.
also agree about splitting out the 718 to a separate subform. makes zero sense to have it all lumped together.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's chows4us?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:00 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I think you got the answer. Because any 718 owner who comes on here with the audacity to discuss his/her car is (often) treated by a lot of folks (not all) like a second class citizen. Pretty dumb, really.

Truth is, lots of folks got lots of money, and too many of them have convinced themselves that their possession of that money makes them somehow better than other folks and that conceit comes out in blazing colors behind the safety of the keyboard. I've only been around here for three months so take what I say for what it's worth. But the trend was apparent within the first three hours.
I dunno, think you're reading way too much into things.

But if I may generalize, for 20 years 911 owners have largely thought 987/981/718 owners are chowderheads, not real Porsche people. I think we can all agree that anyone who buys a Porsche SUV is a dumb poser, right? So a little sniping about the 4-banger is nothing to get worked up about.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Plus, take a stroll over to the 991 forum and check out all the 991.1 v 991.2 hate threads. It just goes with the territory. I had a 991.1 TT and now drive a "vacuum cleaner". I don't take any of it personally. The mods wouldn't separate the .1s from .2s even thought the switch from NA to (small T) turbos was as much if not more significant than the 981 to 718 to the 991 guys over.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

The 718 is just the new kid to pick on. It's not 981 owners so much as it is Porsche owners. I've been on this forum for over a decade and it's always the same thing, just which flavor you want. The air-cooled people hate on the water cooled people, the 911 people hate on the Boxster people, the car people hate on the SUV people, the naturally aspirated people hate on the forced induction ones and pretty much everyone hates on the Panamera. There's so much tiny dick syndrome among Porsche owners it staggers the imagination. Bottom line......enjoy your car and don't pay attention to what others thing of it (especially other Porsche owners).
Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Plus, take a stroll over to the 991 forum and check out all the 991.1 v 991.2 hate threads. It just goes with the territory. I had a 991.1 TT and now drive a "vacuum cleaner". I don't take any of it personally. The mods wouldn't separate the .1s from .2s even thought the switch from NA to (small T) turbos was as much if not more significant than the 981 to 718 to the 991 guys over.
The GT3 GT3RS and R forum is a sheet show as well. Check out this thread toward the end.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-recently.html
Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

I am a proud owner of a 718 that I picked up on Feb 7th. Presently have 1400 miles on it. I love it...best manual I’ve driven and a great car. I lurk on this forum and I am not offended by differing viewpoints. I agree the 6 cyl sounds better....but it was a trade off that I was willing to make. I have always liked the Cayman better than the 911....I like the smaller size and the mid engine. I’ll continue lurking in the backround. At the moment I will be keeping it stock. After the warranty expires, I will consider my options.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Guys it’s terrible how Porsche owners treat each other because we all have great cars. I chat on the Ferrari board as I wanted to learn about my 458 as I got I became educated with the brand very different experience. It’s not a car fight. Enjoy your cars, and don’t look for validation.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I still think the lack of participation on here by 718 owners is mostly related to the relatively low number of owners overall, but people are making good points about the fact that this 987/981 vs 718 is no different than across all other models. I spent plenty of time on the 997 Turbo forum on here too, and the debate of which engine is better between the 997.1TT (Mezger) and 997.2TT (non Mezger) raged on and on too.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually think its ENVY.

I'm a 981 owner, a previous 986 owner. I love the 718. It looks great, performs great, and is another notch in the evolution. I enjoy reading owner discussions about it because I envision owning one someday.

I could give a Ratz Atz what other owners think about it. Perhaps that makes me a prime candidate for owning one. I see it this way; owning ANY Porsche makes us winners. They are all fantastic cars.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

The hate for the 718 on Planet 9 is palpable. It’s made the place worthless for any reasonable 718 discussion. I find here to be more benign neglect regarding the 718.

Hopefully 718Forum content will fill out over time and it will be a tech resource. There are many of the same 718 posters on the multiple forums. Just a matter of time before most of us pick a place longer term, IMO.

Last edited by Semitone; 03-07-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:17 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
IMO, 718 threads on Rennlist and Planet9 always end up in pissing match as to which Cayman is better than the other (performance vs. sound).
This is exactly the fuel to the fire that divides this forum and you've been quite the broken record when it comes to that oversimplification. What gets old and draws heated arguments is when 982 owners reduce the 981 to a car with one virtue ... sound. Stop doing that and you should see a change here. 981 owners have been very fair when it comes to the virtues of the 982. But don't expect everyone to factor the variables all the same. No one here earns their living driving these cars and no one here can drive their car as quick as they wish. 99% of Porsche enthusiasts couldn't tell a 981 from a 982 at 200 yards unless the 982 was in lava orange or miami blue. They're both worthy of the badge. So are 987s and 986s. Own the one that stirs your soul. If performance really matters then I assume you own the GTS. If not, performance doesn't matter to you so quit taking jabs at other owners because they have different preferences. We're allowed to like what we wish. The quickest car isn't automatically the most desirable.

Quick Reply: Alienated 718 owners