Chatter/Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chatter/Rattle

Hi everyone,

Did a search already but did not get a clear picture from what I read....

So car was making a drivetrain noise similar to what you would hear if you swirled ball bearings quickly in a plastic cup or maybe a diesel engine at idle(hard to relate what noises sound like over the web but thats the best i can do)? I brought it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as throw out bearing. They replaced the clutch as well while in there per my request as the clutch pedal was stiff and that is a symptom of worn clutch. The disk was getting close to but had not reached the rivets just yet so i have no problem with that. However, when I went to pick it up wendensday the noise was still there. They said they had flushed the tranny fluid (for free) as they thought that that could help eliminate the noise after a few days thinking that the wrong viscosity was in there. I had replaced the tranny fluid 3 weeks prior with euro blend 75w-90, but the noise was there prior to and after that without change. The noise has not abated and they said to bring it in again on Monday.

Further detail on the noise is that at idle with the clutch out it is loudest. Once clutch is depressed it gets much less pronounced but is still there. With clutch fully depressed and slight rev the volume of the noise stays the same but increases in velocity with the throttle.

Further element is that first and second are somewhat notchy, with first being pretty tough to engage at times.

Ok experts. What do you think?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the throw out bearing to me.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

It was replaced.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default New clutch friction disc? New pressure plate? New release bearing?

Originally Posted by 95993
Hi everyone,

Did a search already but did not get a clear picture from what I read....

So car was making a drivetrain noise similar to what you would hear if you swirled ball bearings quickly in a plastic cup or maybe a diesel engine at idle(hard to relate what noises sound like over the web but thats the best i can do)? I brought it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as throw out bearing. They replaced the clutch as well while in there per my request as the clutch pedal was stiff and that is a symptom of worn clutch. The disk was getting close to but had not reached the rivets just yet so i have no problem with that. However, when I went to pick it up wendensday the noise was still there. They said they had flushed the tranny fluid (for free) as they thought that that could help eliminate the noise after a few days thinking that the wrong viscosity was in there. I had replaced the tranny fluid 3 weeks prior with euro blend 75w-90, but the noise was there prior to and after that without change. The noise has not abated and they said to bring it in again on Monday.

Further detail on the noise is that at idle with the clutch out it is loudest. Once clutch is depressed it gets much less pronounced but is still there. With clutch fully depressed and slight rev the volume of the noise stays the same but increases in velocity with the throttle.

Further element is that first and second are somewhat notchy, with first being pretty tough to engage at times.

Ok experts. What do you think?

and the noise is more noticeable when clutch pedal released?

Well, then my WAG would be the transmission input shaft splines are worn and clutch is rattling on the input shaft.

Another less likely area would be the pilot shaft bearing. If the Carrera even has one, if it is worn or missing the input shaft can wiggle around some from minor imbalances from the clutch disc and this can account for the noise.

I would have hoped that the dealer would have checked the spline wear and condition of the pilot bearing as standard operating procedure when doing the clutch job.

Yet another possibility, even less likely, but maybe worth eliminating, is a portion of the shifting linkage is loose -- and some difficultly shifting into 1st may be significant -- and making contact with the tranny or the body or some other body/chassis/exhaust/drive component.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am experiencing a similar noise as described following an engine and clutch change. However, it is loudest at decelleration while in gear. Pushing in the clutch significantly reduces the noise, but does not eliminate it. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

They said that they checked the shaft for wear and that it was within spec and that it was fine. No mention of checking for spline wear at all though. The noise is definintely worst when the clutch is completely disengaged and out of gear. Maybe something to do with the flywheel? I am particularly worried that it could be something in the gearbox itself, but when I changed the fluid there were no contaminants of note (and i had run the fluid through a mesh strainer to make sure).
Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Update: They are going to fit a known good flywheel with bearing on today to see if that eliminates the noise. Hopefully it is just the pilot bearing...
Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I ask who is doing the work?
pm me, if you like.
Pat
Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Update: Turns out that the flywheel was also needing replacement as the center (rubber center apparently) had too much play. Not used to these dual mass clutch/flywheel arrangements myself, but there you have it. Hendricks was extremely accomodating on the price and the noise has been eliminated. Quentin took the time to walk through what they have done and I am pretty satisfied. The loaner cayman was pretty nice as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM
drifter7508
Intermediate

I have the same problem I think? My C4-00 sounds like this:
http://www.magnicksoftware.com/audio/996.zip (unzip and play audio file with quicktime)
Recorded the sound with clutch pressed down and unpressed. Unpressed it rattles!
Pressed down its silent.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome news Bill!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
pappapatrick
1st Gear

-BillJ, did your car sound like the sample "drifter 7508" attached ?

Thanks
P

Quick Reply: Chatter/Rattle