Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another question regarding cleaning sport exhaust pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another question regarding cleaning sport exhaust pipes.

I am having very little luck removing the soot from my pipes. I have hear mention of Autosol. Anyone know anything about this product or better means of cleaning the exhaust?

Thanks again,
KW
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
DanJK
Racer

I use autosol on my chrome kitchen appliances. It kicks *** for shine. Not sure about heavy grit though.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

easy off?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Blue Magic metal polish. Stuff works great and is non-abrasive. Check the detailing forums - they'll likely have more info and suggestions.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chrome polish should do the trick...always works for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A product bikers have been using for decades on highly chromed out motorcycles is NEVR-DULL. It is a chemically enhanced wad that is great for cleaning chrome and leaves a slightly oil residue when finished. Simply wipe that off when done. As with any cleaning job, it works a lot better if you stay on top of this from when the car is new. If allowed to build up, it will take that much more effort to get it back to the original condition.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a thread over on 6Speed with quite a bit of detail:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/d...aust-tips.html

A lot of positive comments there and in other detailing threads about "P21S Total Auto Wash" for cleaning tips. I don't know where to get it though - except online.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnstoy
There is a thread over on 6Speed with quite a bit of detail:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/d...aust-tips.html
Thanks for the link. Those tips are sparkling! I'll have to do mine like that.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For chromed tips I wouldn't recommend using steel wool, as the plating can eventually wear off. It's okay to use on the stainless tips as it's just pure metal throughout.

Here's what my recall replacement tips looked like after the service shop let me take them home to polish the lips up before doing the replacement:
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
For chromed tips I wouldn't recommend using steel wool, as the plating can eventually wear off. It's okay to use on the stainless tips as it's just pure metal throughout.

Here's what my recall replacement tips looked like after the service shop let me take them home to polish the lips up before doing the replacement:
Those would be easy to polish to a mirror finish with the right polish and a dremel tool or work beck mounted polishing wheel. However they are a brushed finish because they are easier to keep clean that way.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Flitz metal polish with a wool ball works perfectly.

If the pipe has heavy soot, remove and use an APC type cleaner with a brush, rinse, then polish with Flitz and a wool ball. Or use Wenol Red first, then Flitz.

Wenol Red is very heavy cut/clean polish. Be careful with Red as it can remove chrome if used too aggresive. They make a Wenol Blue with less cut/clean as well. Wenol Red can be purchased at most Williams-Sonoma stores. Blue is a bit harder to find.

Flitz is sold in several auto stores or bike shops. I find Flitz to be one of the best polishes for metals.

Final polishing can be done with a foam ball and finer polishes to really bring out the best look. I've used a Menzerna jewelers polish for fine polishing chrome tips to a very high gloss. Or use Menzerna PO106FF or PO85RD for paint finishes if you cannot find Menzerna Jewelry polishes.

Wool ball: http://properautocare.com/wopoba.html

Foam ball: http://properautocare.com/mopo1.html

Flitz polish: http://properautocare.com/flmepofipare.html

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Those would be easy to polish to a mirror finish with the right polish and a dremel tool or work beck mounted polishing wheel. However they are a brushed finish because they are easier to keep clean that way.
That was done purely by hand, using a few barrels of elbow grease.

Had to start with a file to round out some of the flat spots along the brims, as the surface curvature was far from perfect. After shaping a full radius curvature with the file I proceeded with coarse sandpaper to remove the file marks and then worked my way up the grit ladder until I reached 1500. From there I switched to steel wool 00 and then finished off with 0000 and generic metal polish.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
That was done purely by hand, using a few barrels of elbow grease.

Had to start with a file to round out some of the flat spots along the brims, as the surface curvature was far from perfect. After shaping a full radius curvature with the file I proceeded with coarse sandpaper to remove the file marks and then worked my way up the grit ladder until I reached 1500. From there I switched to steel wool 00 and then finished off with 0000 and generic metal polish.
Dang...nice work! too bad they get all sooted up so fast.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dang...nice work! too bad they get all sooted up so fast.
Thanks.

Yeah, but I just keep the brims clean so it's pretty easy to do with just a rag and a smear of metal polish and a couple circles around each and they're good to go. I never let the soot build up that way. So maybe once a week I'm doing this two minute process to keep them clean, and sometimes all it takes is just wiping down with a plain rag.

I gave my original tips the same polished brims look, but, thanks to experience, this time around I did a much better job:

https://rennlist.com/forums/2312033-post1.html

Last edited by OCBen; 05-22-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Yet another question regarding cleaning sport exhaust pipes.