356 Registry East Coast Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:46 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts
Default 356 Registry East Coast Holiday

Just a note to let any non Registry members that this coming weekend September 5th, 6th and 7th will be the 356 East Coast Holiday. It is being held in Asheville, NC. Close to 300 356s will attend this annual event. This year the Concours will be on the front lawn of the Biltmore Estate.
Even if you don't have a 356, come by and enjoy the beautiful cars at a beautiful location!
Old 08-31-2003, 08:01 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Robert,

take pleanty of pics for me! id love to make it but i cant get another weekend off work, and im not finnished with going through the standard post trip check list.

speaking of which im waiting for new pulley halves and hub from will at classic speed parts.

this is what i found when i tried to adjust my v-belt

both pics are of the same pulley half, the inner one closest to the generator. thank god its an easy fix. i know there will be at least 3 members of the 912 registry, from the east coast, showing up as spectators. man im jealous!

Harry

oh btw.. remember our discussion earlier in the year.. i did the cross country trip. now are you gonna do the tail of the dragon?
have a great time, and again, take pleanty of pics for us loosers who cant make it !
Old 08-31-2003, 09:25 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry.....Tail of the Dragon, here we come!!!
I FINALLY got the motor back in Helga last weekend and put about 750 break-in/shakedown KMs on her before we go to Asheville. A 3 month job turned into 6 months. Walt at Comp Eng. was running behind and found some problems with the crank. So new crank, pistons/cylinders, all machined to 0 tolerances, balanced and blueprinted. She's ready for any old "dragons tail"! Or any other tail for that matter!
Just finished a total detail, polished, waxed and she's smilin ear to ear. We leave early Tuesday morning and will probably see the Tub Club group driving from Dallas/ Ft Worth along the way. Just hope it stops raining for a few days, but we can't control the weather!
I'll post some pics when we get home.

Keep the Faith!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:19 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

ready to get some tail...sounds good!!
so did you get a freshen up or a complete rebuild? if you could send me some info on what was done, who, where and how much, id really appreciate it. i dont need one now, but i know id like to get one in the next 3 or 4 years or so, and most importantly when i do, i need to have it done right. mine is pretty fresh i guess (so i was told when they were checking out the damaged head, and especially exhaust valve 3 ) as i was told that all the signs point to fairly new, but there were several things that were not done correctly with the big bore kit, among other stuff that bugs me with it, which makes me suspect to poor work and quality. the thing im deathly affraid of is the fact that engine parts are getting so hard to come by (i know a guy with a 68 targa getting an engine rebuild, and the builder cant go any farther til' he locates a few parts.) not only is that a fear, but the rise in cost. from what i understand a good one right now is about 7k, god knows how much it will be in about 5 or 6 more years, from all the things ive been reading lately.

us yankees are gettin a bit of the monsoon season too, from before i returned.. my girl is still covered with road wear and needs a good wash and wax; bugs caked along the head lights as well as on the air vent grille, and i still have half of the plains on my hood and the sand of nevada on my dash. cali is still in my heart though . hopfuly asheville stays dry for you.

keep the faith,

Old 09-01-2003, 08:52 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry......
We're talkin' COMPLETE rebuild! Helga's engine was rebuilt by Ron Mott at Catalytic Enterprises. All the machine work was handled at Competition Engineering. CE's bill alone was 6 grand, another 4 to Ron. This all started with all new brakes. Rotors, calipers, master cylinder, lines etc. Then we pulled the motor and dug in. Just a few of the things were Cut Linebore, repair main bearing tangs, replace galley plugs, new crank, new cam, recondition rods, rockers and shafts, recon lifters, r&r guides and seats, valve job, crank timing gear, new set 86mm p&c, rod bushings, .5mm main and rod bearings, complete balance of all engine parts, well the list goes on.....and on.
Ron builds motors like each one belonged to him and was going into his personal car. VERY ****! Helga's new motor is so clean, it's "lickable" which she enjoys very much.

I gotta finish packing so we can head out in the morning.........

Definately Keepin The Faith!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:59 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

thanks! i have heared alot of great things about competition eng. i know they would definitly be the way to go. never heared of Ron Mott or catalitic ent. but i like that way of thought when it comes to engines. have a great trip! btw.. nice avatar, i take it thats before?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry.... my avatar is my 917 12 cylinder engine case that ran at LeMans in the L&M car driven by George Follmer. Helga would scream if I tried to squeeze that into her rear end!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:18 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

no f-in way!?!? you have THAT engine case!?!?!?

(i thought i looked a little big, but ive never seen a stripped 356 case so i didnt know)

Quick Reply: 356 Registry East Coast Holiday