Sponsored by:

Pics from 356 Holiday in Asheville

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Pics from 356 Holiday in Asheville

Just got back from Asheville and we had a GREAT time! 240 356's registered for the event.
I believe there were 220 on the lawn at the Biltmore Estate.
Here are a few pictures from the event:

This is a view from the upper field overlooking the 356's on the front lawn of the Biltmore Estate

This was the view from our 356 all weekend long!

One of the rows of 356's... ours is in front.

This is an incredibly rare Porsche. It is the prototype for the
America Roadster. It was found in a junk yard in 1982 and
then was restored to the way it looks now.
Note: the suicide doors.

This is probably the ultimate 356 Outlaw on the East Coast.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:48 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

wow!!! robert, amazing pictures! looks like the show of a life time! we have 2 912ers in ashevill and black mountain NC who were there posting pics for us and giving us updates. i am very jealous!

now the question.. did you tame the tail of the dragon?
i have had some revelations after the 912 rendezvous (no, not flash backs ) the bumper kit must go, and the mirrors must go. she needs to be either a period correct outlaw type or stock (stock can get boring though). i posted a message on the general discussion board, maybe you can give me some imput.
currently though i have been going through pictures, scanning, uplaoding to the web, getting everything in order and writing my memoriors. (yeah.. its getting out of hand, especially with 13 rolls of film.) btw, what do you think of the avatar?

any interesting things happen? learn new things? special cars (make thet ultra special cars, since all 356s are special)? where is it next year? take care, and i cannot wait to hear more about the east coast holiday!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:47 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Harry........
Well let's see, to answer THE question........No. It was raining reeeeeally hard the morning the tour left for "The Tail". If it had been dry we would have gone, but it turned out only a few 356s went for it. I'm also caught in that 'zone' of wanting to keep Helga concours ready and at the same time enjoy driving her. We put about 100 miles on her while we were in Ashville and I plan to do alot more driving since the recent rebuild.
At the Concours we were placed next to Vic Skirmants and his wifes 356. A beautiful car and absolutely great people. You can learn alot from being parked next to Vic!
Next years 356 East Coast Holiday will be held in Williamsburg, VA. and will be the Registry's 30th anniversary as well as the 50th anniversary of the 356 Speedster. This one should beat 'em all!

OK, here's my .02......There is part of me that really is the purist, meaning, the car should be exactly the way it rolled off the assembly line. The other part of me thinks everything can and should be improved or at least personalized. It's hard to improve on perfection. I love to see a pristine 57 or 58 A Coupe in all it's original factory glory. BUT a 57 or 58 A Coupe that has been "Outlawed" absolutely gets me SWOLEN!!!!
I like things changed with subtlety......like you have to look at it twice to really see the changes. NO whale tail on an early narrow body car!!!
I really like the R and RS look, but if not done right it can look very "poserish". I know whatever you do to your Beauty, you will keep it real!

BTW, You could not have picked better words to quote than "Ripple".
Robert Hunter wrote that song in 20 minutes in a hotel room in Paris after drinking a bottle of wine. Immediately after writing "Ripple", he wrote "Brokedown Palace".
Old 09-12-2003, 01:00 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

ive heared alot about skirmants, his engines, and his legend from alot of the classic porsche guys and also from John Thornton, owner of the 912r. i had the pleasure of watching him rip everyone in his field up at the mid ohio vintage races this summer. i can certianly understand why you wouldnt do the tail. besides, you had the time of your life and met alot of amazing people right?

well the thing is, i dont want an rs or 911 r look. i want an early 911/912 look. but i was wondering what the owners would have done back in the day to give them their own personality? what would you and your friends do back when you got your 911, to make it more custom, oulaw or even hot rod like? there werent spoilers in 68 for porsches, so no tail will go on it. i was thinking the talbot mirrors, original bumper, perhapps r tail lights, or if i could find head light covers like the ones 356's had that look kinda like chicken wire? i dont know.. just shooting for some circa 1968 customizations, so its period correct, not trying to be anything that it isnt, and that its still somthing that would garner respect from everyone. exactly like i said, a period correct out law custom 912, not a want to be 911r, not a want to be rs.. somthing the kids woulda done to their porsche 912 back in 68.

thanks! ripple is one of my favorite dead songs. on my trip i played american beauty all of the time. there isnt a better album to see america with than that one. you can feel their emotions over the plains, deserts and mountians as they play box of rain, candy man, ripple, friend of the devil, broken down place, attics, til the morning comes and of course truckin'. my favorits were of course box of rain, candy man and with out a doubt ripple. the music and words seemed to literally carry me across the country. broken down place kept pushing me to go onword on the journey back..
as soon as i have the rest of my pictures uploaded i will post them for all to see. until then, my memories are still an unfinished work of art. soon as im done, ill make sure you get to be one of the 1st to read my article and view my pics.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:20 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Harry.....I wish I'd known that you might have been interested in some headlight baskets. I took a pair of "brand new old stock" baskets to Asheville and sold them for practically nothing. They were still in the original box from 1967. A young guy bought them to put on his 61 B Coupe.
Being that these were the original ones though, they required drilling holes in the headlight rim. There is a new version out that does not require drilling. If you would be interested in those let me know and I'll direct you to the source.

I remember some of the early cars in POC doing things like painting the wheels in a gray primer with no hubcaps, this was before Fuchs came out with the 5 spokers. Removing the bumper over-riders. Painting the engine grill the same color as the car. Amber or clear Rallye lights mounted up front. R tail lights are pretty cool looking, but they don't put out as much visible brake light as the regular lights do. I've been rearended a few times so I can't help but think about that.

This may sound a little weird, but my wife has been instructed to play "Brokedown Palace" at my funeral. It has a very special meaning to me. I was living in a very special place at the time American Beauty and Workingmans Dead came out. And then seeing them performed live made the music even more special.

"Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground"
Old 09-13-2003, 03:03 AM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry,
I need to speak to you, please. Ping me at Rickman@columbus.rr.com?
Brett
Old 09-13-2003, 04:25 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Brett, you have mail

Quick Reply: Pics from 356 Holiday in Asheville