356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

value of 356

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"In addition to a rust hole by the battery there is rust hanging down from the very center of the car underneath."

Sounds as thought the car needs a battery box and floor pan. Pretty typical state of affairs. The big gaps at the backs of the doors probably indicated that the car is sagging because the pan and longitudinals aren't solid.

Proceed carefully; you could be looking at the proverbial money pit. The cost would be measured in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have seen so far the car should be worth 60 to 100K depending on how well the restoration would be done. Just to get an idea, if this job was done professionally what would I be looking at, 30K or would it take more? I am looking to get the car for around 25K. Does that sound like the right price for a driver that needs almost a complete restoration?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:19 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might find this article from a pro shop illuminating...
http://www.willhoitautorestoration.c...on_Planner.pdf

a first-time 356 owner embarking upon the full restoration of a Cab?
I predict a highly educational experience - inc regular church (or therapist) attendance.
You've given so little info on the car, plus (importantly, esp for budgeting) how you would proceed & manage the project that it is almost pointless (for me, anyway) to quantify.
Oh, what the hell - it's your time & money... double them - for starters.

{funny how restoring a vintage sports car ends up taking more time & $ than just buying one that is already done}

If I were in a similar position I'd buy as cheap as possible, just drive it as-is for awhile & gather knowledge (that a pro ppi would've likely revealed) before blowing the retirement fund (see Wilhoit's article). Then, I'd either keep driving it or sell it to someone for whom the restoration budget is chump change.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
rgs944
Drifting

I will probably not be restoring the car myself as I do not have that much skill or money. I am mostly trying to find out what the car is worth in present condition for a partner of mine. It sounds like it will take at least 25K to buy it. If we decide not restore it, will it be worth buying and selling to someone who does have the skill and money to do the restore? I know that is a tough question but what are anyones impressions in resale value. I am also planning on getting some pictures of the trouble spots on the car today to help with assesment.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Will not be able to get anymore pictures before decision time. How bad would the rust and body have to be to make this car not worth buying for 25K. It looks like any 356 on Ebay will go for 20K just sitting in a junk pile. Looking at the history of the car I would say it is all #s correct. I do not believe the miles on the car are correct after seeing it, but it does run and drive good. Would I be stupid for paying 25K for it, or would I be stupid for letting it go to someone else. I am leaning towards buying.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like possibly you are interested in making a quick profit rather than anything else? I have to admit to feeling a tad sorry for the purchaser who ends up paying a 'finders fee' to you in addition to the cost of a restoration...

Perhaps if you don't want to own/drive/restore the car you could post the details here and on the 356 registry so that well-heeled enthusiast might be connected to the seller who will do the project justice?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:12 PM
rgs944
Drifting

If there is anyway I could pay for the car and restore it I would. I have owned Porsche's for the last 25 years, air and water cooled. So I am an enthusiast. A completly restored 356 is just something that is not possible for me. The guy that will be actually be buying the car is a collector friend of mine, but we need to evaluate if this is worth restoring or even buying.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys seem to be playing beyond your expertise.
I hope the seller is getting some professional advice.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 AM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. Never underestimate what it will cost to restore a 356. Take the number you think it might be, then double it.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
FastJohnson
Track Day

Originally Posted by wiggy
X2. Never underestimate what it will cost to restore a 356. Take the number you think it might be, then double it.
I take it most 356ers are using reproduction parts for restorations, or do most find original parts?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by FastJohnson
I take it most 356ers are using reproduction parts for restorations, or do most find original parts?
Depends what you want for your end product. But the big bucks in restoration will not depend so much on repro vs original parts but on the bigger issues - body, paint, interior, engine, etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

Patina
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
If there is anyway I could pay for the car and restore it I would. I have owned Porsche's for the last 25 years, air and water cooled. So I am an enthusiast. A completly restored 356 is just something that is not possible for me. The guy that will be actually be buying the car is a collector friend of mine, but we need to evaluate if this is worth restoring or even buying.

I hardly ever open the 356 forum on RL, but I couldn't resist this one....you can check out my former inventory to evaluate if what I am about to tell you is worth anything......
....at your level of experience, don't be foolish ...RUN (don't walk) AWAY!!!....if you want to know all the problems you will run into as a first time restorer PM me....there are way too many quacks (if not downright crooks) out there in the 356 world that will play you like a banjo...you need good professional advice before paying $25K for a rusty cab....

Last edited by Mike_A; 12-30-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Sounds like you want to flip it? A bargain for your purchase (which leaves profit for your resale) means the original seller got hosed. Oh well, that's the free market with information inefficiencies.

But your skill and knowledge will be tested here: if you don't know what you are doing, and misjudge things, you could take a bath.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I've looked into this a little bit, and from all I've read and heard it is cheaper to buy what you want post-restoration.

Whether you can get the car for $25 or $15 is the least of your worries... This is why well restored Cabs are going for mid 6 figures.

Try calling these guys and see what they will be asking for this one: http://www.caporsche.net/images/cars...et/images.html

Quick Reply: value of 356