Seat Recline Adjustment: 1964 C

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Seat Recline Adjustment: 1964 C

I have a 1964 C with a proper functioning driver's seat, but the passenger seat constantly reclines--I can't get it to lock up in a proper seating position.

Any tips on what I can check internally to see what's keep the mechanism from locking at a variety of positions?

TIA
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,
Here's an article from the Registry.
http://www.356registry.com/techinfo/...sassembly.html
I'm sure you'd get some expert response to specific questions on 356Talk.

My solution was to remove both factory seats & install a comfortable MonteCarlo from GTS Classics (Stephan is a great guy to deal with). Much lighter now, too!
Good luck w/ the project...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
n9013c
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Here is a photo of my recliner mechanism on our 1960 T5 S-90 coupe when I had them apart for rechroming. As you see, the return spring for the recliner lever is different than on the earlier cars. The 'lock' that keeps your seatback from reclining further is a gear like thing that engages a matching gear like thing internal to the seat back portion of the recliner. If only one side of the recliner is not locking, you may be missing the shaft that connects both sides. If you are somewhat creative, you should be able to remove the seatback from the seat bottom (where it pivots forward to access the rear seats) without having to remove the seat from the car. Then you can remove the recliners and disassemble them for repairs. Be careful. The coiled flat spring can make you bleed! Good luck

Jim
Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the warning! I never did like springs--under tension!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good shots pops,

And the retainer clip shown in the 1st picture to the right of the 3 pins in a row, at about the 4 o'clock position to the coiled spring is a real pain to reinstall.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I have the connecting shaft at the hinge point of the seats--I assume that is what connects the two sides. Assume such a locking mech. is on each side.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Well, I dug into this project today. I removed the passenger seat to get total access and placed it on a workbench. I took off the 6 chromes screws from the upright section (securing the seat back) and set that aside. I then removed the single screw from each side that secures the hinge assembly to the seat bottom cushion. I set it aside and started to look at what i had. There is a grey plastic dust shield of each hinge assembly that was easily removed. I also pulled off the two control ***** that are positioned at the back of the seat base, allowing me to separate the two hinges from each other as well as the gear tube that synchronizes the two hinges (I would assume). I got in there with brake cleaner to clear out any dust and debris that has accumulated. I inspected the mechanism for its operation, trying to discover how it works and what the single control on the outboard side regulates. The end of that control device has what appears to be a jammable point on it--perhaps it is supposed to jam into the gears at various places in the gears--it's hard to tell. I lubed a few areas with a good moly lube and then put things back together. Functionally, the seat now remains upright, yet when you sit in it, the backrest will move backward as you sit back into the seat. At as much as before, but it isn't locked into a certain setting.

I didn't see anything broken inside, but since I don't know HOW a 356 seat was supposed to function from day one, I'm still in the dark a bit. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: Seat Recline Adjustment: 1964 C