Sponsored by:

356 Transaxle value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Mountain Cop
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 356 Transaxle value?

Hello. I'm going to be the guy that I generally hate on other forums which I frequent (VWs, guns, motorcycles, toyotas...), but my first post will be a Noob question.

I will give you a little background. I have been a Volkswagen enthusiast forecr a long time. Over the years, I acquired a LOT of VW stuff, some of which I never really had time to fully examine.

Recently, I decided to liquidate much of my collection of things. I posted some adds on Craigslist, including some pics (http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/1489437332.html if you really care, though that isn't the purpose of this post or of my membership here).

I got a few calls, and sold a couple of things. One call I got was from a fairly excited individual from well outside of my area. He asked me what I was selling the transaxles for. I told him that it varied, by a couple of hundred dollars sounded reasonable. He started sputtering about "that porsche tranny" in the background of one of the photos and said that he would wire me $200 immediately. I used my keen powers of deduction to assume that at least this fellow thought I had something a bit more interesting than a 70-something VW transaxle. I told him that I would meet him and let him see it and we could talk about it then. He doesn't listen too well... and now is annoying enough that he could offer me several thousand dollars and I wouldn't do business with him!

I did some research and learned that what I have is a 356 transaxle. I'll admit, the temptation to build a complete car around the tranny is tempting, but I have a daughter on the way and enough projects as it is. I will have a chance to examine it a bit on Thursday. What should I be looking for? What might it be worth? I know it turns, but that is it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your patience with the new guy. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much depends on your question. IMO 741 transaxle is the best. The earlier trans are what they are. Any of them are not cheap to rebuild. There are numbers on the trans for I.D and gear ratios letters.
This may help you identify your trans. As for the guy.......ignore until you know more
Once you know your product pop over to ebay and see what they are asking.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as I specialize in Porsche gearboxes, I may be able to shed some light on things for your a bit. Keep in mind that I have no intention of purchasing this gearbox, however I can probably help you put an accurate value onto it if you would be willing to send me some closer pics.

Overall I would not get too excited about the value as it would appear at least from the pics in your craigs list posting that this gearbox has been left outside for some time, but if you would like to send me some pics, I will do what I can to tell you what it is actually worth. It would be very helpful as well if you would send along the gearbox id #, that way I can look it up and tell you what it came out of.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
mail@gboxweb.com

Quick Reply: 356 Transaxle value?