Need Information and Want to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Information and Want to Buy

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 356! Cabriolet or Speedster only.

What should a buyer look for in a 356?? I hear rust in the door jams and under the hood? Any specific years or models to look for/not look for?? Anybody have or know of any for sale? I'm looking for good examples. Not necessarily a show car. Also I'm not afraid of rebuilding one to my level if there is a "fresh canvas" car out there.

Any help, info, and suggestions would be very appreciated!!

Thanks,

Nate
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest buying a couple books on the 356 first and learn all you can about them. James Schrager and Dr. Brett Johnson have wrote some books with really good information and i'm sure there are more. not sure you will get you're first question answered here, there is a lot to know, especially at the models you are looking at. you better know what you want, what you are looking at and that you're pockets are deep and full of money, esp. a Speedster, in any condition. i'm not recommending ebay to buy one, but a good visual platform to learn different aspects of them. its also a must to join the 356 Registry and you can watch the classifieds there. rust??? it could have rust anywhere just depends where it was driven and stored and how it was cared for. under the hood or door jambs? if its there thats the least of you're worries, usually means its already ate the floor pans and longitudinals, jack spurs etc. remember you are talking 1950's -60's and zbart wasnt started yet. another tip, go to a 356 gathering, the 356 people love their cars and love showing and talking about them and you can get a better education first hand than a couple posts here. thats my 2 cents of course, good luck,,, my suggestion... you got the money, spring for a Speedster....

Last edited by faster; 01-21-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Ditto above. Speedsters are very pricey these days and cabs sure ain't cheap. Schrager's book (Buying, Driving, and Enjoying the Porsche 356) would be one good first book. You really should take time to learn before you go out and potentially get bitten bad. Join the 356 Registry, check out its website (http://www.356registry.com/) (lots of articles there), and start looking in on the 356 Registry forum (Registry membership not required) (http://356registry.com/forum/index.php) for your basic education.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nate, at this point in the economy & the 356 market, I would only buy one thoroughly vetted by an independent expert. prices will be well below highs so the cost of that service is very cheap assurance / insurance. & as Jim said, join the Registry. happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Need Information and Want to Buy