Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please talk some sense into my friend...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please talk some sense into my friend...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/586676343.html

So my friend has been lusting over a classic car for a little while now. He's looked at triumphs, MG's Alfas, fords, mercedes, etc... Anything.
He's really interested in an old Porsche 356 though. And this car has really caught his fancy. He's built it up in his mind. But the car is several hours away and for $25,000 - it needs to be something a little more turn key. This car quite frankly is overpriced and looks like crap, and considering how many hours out in the sticks it is, is probably owned by some redneck who thinks this is a good deal for a 'Porsh'

I've tried reasoning with him but to no avail. Can you guys PLEASE help before he gets in over his head and cries?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is serious about a Pre-A that needs a full restoration as his first 356, he already IS in over his head... the real question is which he runs out of first - $ or tears? {OK, if you really want to help him, have him honestly describe his expertise in 356s, his expectations for this car & post the link on the Registry TalkList & let's see what happens...}
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

$25,000.00 ???

Tell him to keep looking. There are better deals out there, for SURE.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I know, he's expecting it to be in pretty nice shape and needing like, taillights rewired or something minor like that. Realistically, it likely has a huge wiring rat's nest. Additionally, my friend is just looking for a little runabout, would probably paint it flat black and make it sort of an outlaw type thing. I keep telling him, start with something a bit more sound or something less frustrating and less expensive...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
jcjblo
Intermediate

You should ask your friend to contact me - I have a nicely restored 63-356BT6 numbers matching car for sale in vancouver for not very much $$ than that.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/586676343.html

So my friend has been lusting over a classic car for a little while now. He's looked at triumphs, MG's Alfas, fords, mercedes, etc... Anything.
He's really interested in an old Porsche 356 though. And this car has really caught his fancy. He's built it up in his mind. But the car is several hours away and for $25,000 - it needs to be something a little more turn key. This car quite frankly is overpriced and looks like crap, and considering how many hours out in the sticks it is, is probably owned by some redneck who thinks this is a good deal for a 'Porsh'

I've tried reasoning with him but to no avail. Can you guys PLEASE help before he gets in over his head and cries?
I know this car, talked to the owner. It needs a full interior, no headliner, no panels in the rear (basically just a shell with seats that are in poor condition). It needs all wiring...dash is out of the car, nest of wires hanging out. Word is that it's rust free. I have reviewed some additional pictures. Strange that dash is black and inside driver's door is black around VIN area. Hood does not fit correctly. No front bumper....that's about all I know. Given what would need to be addressed, it was beyond what I was looking to spend. Also....that price is Canadian $.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jcjblo
You should ask your friend to contact me - I have a nicely restored 63-356BT6 numbers matching car for sale in vancouver for not very much $$ than that.
Any more details?
I think he fell in love with the thought of an outlaw sort of thing, actually. I know he would never cut up a numbers matching restored car.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 AM
jcjblo
Intermediate

What more can I tell you- its a nicely restored early 63B with drum brakes and leather interior. Restoration done about six years ago (body, engine, transmission - the works) and properly maintained since. Very nice car driven only in good weather and is on BC Collector plates. Has PCNA Certificate of Authenticity verifying numbers. No sunroof though.

Quick Reply: Please talk some sense into my friend...