Talk list rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i seocnd that.. how do we sign up?

btw, thanks to all who made this happen!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Great news! I hope the oldtimers embrace the new system - I have the feeling that despite the optional delivery method, it's still going to look a lot more like a BBS.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, there goes the neighborhood...
... & here's a link;
http://www.356registry.org/356talk/join_or_leave.html
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Here's the details for registering, etc.:

Fellow listers. The Board of Trustees of the 356 Registry has announced a change in 356 Talk. Many people have worked long hours to modernize the system that we use. As with anything new, there will be growing pains. The same people have worked hard to minimize those pains. For example, the "forum" that has been created will enable those who prefer the current email system to keep many aspects of it, although we expect the volume to increase due to the different nature of a forum - generally, they are, by design, more "chatty." My role will change from that of list monitor to forum moderator, however, my job will be similar. Additional moderators will be listed on the forum itself - they are there to help you. To accomplish the change, I urge you to undertake the following steps since the current 356 Talk List will be shut down on or before April 25, 2008:

1. In your internet browser go to: http://www.356registry.com/forum/
<blocked::http://www.356registry.com/forum/> . Either cut and paste the foregoing, click through, or type it where appropriate.

2. BEFORE registering, "look" around. Note that on almost every page
that you see that you will be able to click on "356 Talk Forum Home" and return to the same page listed in step 1 above. Test the buttons/links - some will display items before you register, some may only be used by registered users. You may not post to any of the forums without first registering.

3. READ this "WELCOME" page:
<blocked::http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14>
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14 but be sure to return to this message.

4. READ THE FAQ. Do so by clicking on "FAQ." We hope all your
registration questions and many others will be answered there.

5. Click on "SEARCH." Try searching what is already here for
something, say, 356. You'll get a display of "postings." Click on one/many of them. Click on the author's name. You CANNOT break it - unless you're already an accomplished and malicious hacker in which case you need not read any of these instructions.

6. There are no USERGROUPS yet and nothing to be done by clicking here.
So, ignore it.

7. "PROFILE" will enable you to adjust how you use the board and how
much of the information you provide will be displayed AFTER you have registered. If you click it without first registering you will be asked for your username and password - you'll have both after registering.

8. DEFINITELY click "ALBUM." It will furnish you just what it says - a
spectacular and beautiful photo album of our favorite vehicles. Note the ability, in the upper left, an inch or two below the 356 Registry banner, to click on "356 Talk Forum Home" and be back where you started.

9. Tired of testing/fooling around? Then, click "REGISTER." Decide if
you agree to the "356Talk - Registration Agreement Terms." If you do, click on the appropriate area (we expect most of you to be older than 13). If you don't agree to the terms, you will not be able to post to the forum, although you can continue to read the posts. By registering you agree to the Forum Rules and, if ever buying or selling anything on the forum, to the conditions of sale.

10. After you agree to the registration terms, you will be taken to a
page to select your user name. In order to promote civility and reduce the flames sometimes associated with anonymity, your user name MUST be your real name - if not, you will be removed from the forum. Period. The boxes marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed, the others are optional and may be left blank. Note that in the second section any information you supply will be public. You do not have to fill in anything there and for many of you it will be meaningless - don't worry, leave it all blank if you wish. In the third section you are asked for a number of preferences, with the most common being set as a default. When satisfied, click on SUBMIT.
If you have completed all the required information you will be taken to a new page. READ THE WELCOME PAGE!
<blocked::http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14>
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14. Yes, I suggested you read it twice. We think it is important.

11. After you have SUBMIT-ted your registration, you will receive an
email at the email address you provided. That email will include your username and password. You MUST click through on the link in that email to activate your registration. Until you do, the registration process is not complete. It might take a little while for the "activation message" to arrive - please be patient - we'll have 2200 people trying to register.
Note also, for reasons we cannot control, that the activation message MIGHT be identified by your email program as spam, so, CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER.
Once you have clicked where indicated in the activation message you will be taken to an "Information" page at the Forum. CONGRATULATIONS - you are registered! Click on the WELCOME PAGE link. It will explain your email and/or forum use options. If you subscribe to email, be prepared for a LOT of email. The digest will no longer be available.

12. READ THE RULES, now sometimes but not always referred to as "forum
guidelines" here:
<blocked::http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8>
http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8.

13. Since we anticipate that a significant number of new forum
registrants will subscribe to email, I intend to strictly enforce a three post per day limit for the first few weeks. This will be subject to change as conditions warrant. No matter what, please refrain from posting messages of the "Gee isn't this great" or "Gee isn't this horrible" variety since 2200 people will potentially have to read every one of those. Although Brian and Barry are deserving of your praise for building this system, thank them privately - it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I'll be very busy and all of us will need a little less to read. There is a "PM"
button next to every name on the Memberlist. There is also a "PM" button below EVERY post. Click on it to send an email ONLY to the person originating the post. A subject line is required. I urge you to use PM to contact me and/or the administrators. Feel free to thank Brian and Barry using PM.

14. PLEASE remember that 2200 people will be moving. We may be slow to
respond to problems, but, rest assured that all of us will be working very hard to assist you should you encounter them.

15. We urge you, regardless, to try the forum approach and to test the
forum sufficiently to determine if it works for you. Many feel that such a system is superior to email - see if you can discover why. There is no right way to exchange information - we have only added an option that many find satisfying.

16. Finally, please print this out and/or save it on your computer for
reference. A copy will be available on the forum, but, if you're having trouble with use of the forum, it will be better if you can find it easily.

I will be happy to help those having difficulty as will the forum administrators, Brian O'Kelly and/or Barry Brisco at admin@356registry.com <blocked::mailto:admin@356registry.com> . I have made many "email friends"
because of this list and am grateful for the opportunity to have served you the last few years. The rewards have far outweighed the difficulties, which have been few. I will continue to serve as a moderator of the new system and hope you will find my services useful. Be sure to thank Brian and Barry for the incredible amount of work they have done for us, their fellow 356 Talk List members.

Bill Sampson
Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME!

Thanks to all involved for this
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Very Very Cool !!!! Now we'll have TWO places to 356 hang out on.

Thanks to all of those involved in bringing the registry forum on line. Change is always a hard thing to do.

Robert has registered!!!
Now we'll get to fight over the computer at night!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Awesome! Thanks for getting the change made!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is great! I registered yesterday and have already made 3 posts... I swore off the email list several years ago after a list-to-forum debate and an old timer said, "if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out". I left and almost quit paying my dues.

I'M BAAAACCKKK....

Quick Reply: Talk list rant