1956 356A valuation ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"...the big decision of sell it as is....or get it running and sell it??"
get rid of it asap - the more you F w/ it, the worse it will be, for the car & the eventual custodian.
spend your profit on water pumps.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 AM
n9013c
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,
This could be a great 'barn find'. Rust and body damage are your major concerns. Best if you can get someone knowlegable in 356's to look at it for you. The 356CAR (Calif. Alta Region of the 356 Registry) has their monthly breakfast meeting on the 2nd Saturday of each month in Sacramento. Lots of great people w/ many years of 356 experience. We are friendly and open to new comers. Meetings are at 9:00 am, at Marie Calendar's on Sunrise Blvd. in Citrus Heights, $11.00/person for breakfast buffet.

The restoration could easily cost you many thousands of dollars, or not that much depending on what you want. You do not need to have a concourse winning car to get many years of enjoyment from a 356.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
"...the big decision of sell it as is....or get it running and sell it??"
get rid of it asap - the more you F w/ it, the worse it will be, for the car & the eventual custodian.
spend your profit on water pumps.
Yeah, since you're flipp'n....
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i hate flippers. they are souless and care about nothing but money, and usually either take advantage of a seller or buyer and screw one or the other over. plus they are single handedly responsible for driving the market out of reach for many enthusiests who would give their right leg to buy one. This is why i never respond to questions about valuation on the 912 bbs any more. too many flippers looking to cash in and dont care about cars or people.

if youre doing this and going to buy it and flip it, leave it alone and dont touch a thing. have the buyer, someone who actually cares about it fix it, cause you will probably take it to some vw shop that doesnt really know anytabout 356s for a cheep fix, or a porsche shop the focuses on newer cars and doesnt knwo anything about 356s -both would result in the car not being right and being seriously messed up. leave it alone and lets someone with true vested interest and passion for a historic porsche bring it back to life, so they can do it correctly.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffman912
i hate flippers. they are souless and care about nothing but money, and usually either take advantage of a seller or buyer and screw one or the other over. plus they are single handedly responsible for driving the market out of reach for many enthusiests who would give their right leg to buy one. This is why i never respond to questions about valuation on the 912 bbs any more. too many flippers looking to cash in and dont care about cars or people.

if youre doing this and going to buy it and flip it, leave it alone and dont touch a thing. have the buyer, someone who actually cares about it fix it, cause you will probably take it to some vw shop that doesnt really know anytabout 356s for a cheep fix, or a porsche shop the focuses on newer cars and doesnt knwo anything about 356s -both would result in the car not being right and being seriously messed up. leave it alone and lets someone with true vested interest and passion for a historic porsche bring it back to life, so they can do it correctly.
Harry
I understand your point of view...& I often feel the same way in regards to 928's....which are my P-car of choice right now...however I am an active PCA member & know of several excellent P-car wrenches and speciality 356 restorers that I have contacted regarding this car......to help me with the decision of what to do with it.....I am leaning towards selling it for a profit (this is the USA).....however the price will be appropriate for the condition of the car with a "discount" factored in for the buyer looking to restore it to nice condition...which the car deserves!!!...I am not looking to make big $$$$ off this venure (if it even materializes) & will reinvest all the "profits" into yet another P-car project...so the $$$$ stays in the family if ya know what I mean!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Harry
I understand your point of view...
Well, I don't understand Harry's point-of-view! I've never flipped a car, so I don't have a dog in this hunt. BUT, the seller (flipper) doesn't set the actual selling price. THE BUYER DOES. Sure, the seller can set whatever asking price he wants, but it's just a fantasy until the buyer lays the bread on the table. It's that whole supply/demand thing. Not happy with the prices of 356s? Simple solution -- tell everyone to stop buying them. Prices will soon come down.

Brian -- good luck with the old girl.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand Harry's pov.
Flipping barn-finds (& similar) often results in damage, loss of parts, records & owner history. These aspects are important to many enthusiasts (for whom not everything is convertable into the $), but expert care & attention to detail is just a pita to flippers. Of course, it's just cold capitalism, so tough sh!!, right?

On the other hand, a flipper can get caught when they take general advice (like requesting a valuation from strangers on forums & then project that onto a specific example), & the car turns out to be a pos no one wants (greed drives hope that springs eternal). These cars can end up further neglected & abused, often end up getting parted out.

So, if you wanna make a quick $ on a car you stumbled across, just steal it from the owner (or their widows & orphans), put it on ebay and let it go at that.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Peter R.
Pro

If they want 5K for it I'll have it, thanks.

Peter R.

Quick Reply: 1956 356A valuation ?????