Sponsored by:

Next car a 356?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 AM
jeffz993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next car a 356?

O.K. in the near future (with in this year) I would like to add a car to my garage. I currently have a 95-993, 88-m-3, 46- woodie and plan on keeping them. I am just doing some research and looking for some advice on choosing the right car.
I want to drive and enjoy it not just let it sit and hopefully buy it right so it holds its value, also dont have time for a project. Would really like to with a cab. but not set on that yet.
Thanks in advance for any opinions and info.
Jeff
Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, I recommend you buy "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager (his column in Sports Car Market is good, too - read the last year's worth), join the 356 Registry, & go to the upcoming LA Lit & Toy Show (esp the tours of the 356 shops). These days, "buying it right" & "don't have time for a project" may be conflicting goals (the best "deal" in 356s, all things being equal, which they never are, are B Coupes w/ N motor, no sr / usable Cabs start at $60-70K) - start saving $ now. Enjoy the chase!
http://www.356registry.org/
http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/
Old 02-10-2008, 01:53 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to get my hands on an E30 M3. If you find you need the extra money for your 356, I'd be glad to help you out for that bimmer.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
jeffz993
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccaarmerciill
I'd love to get my hands on an E30 M3. If you find you need the extra money for your 356, I'd be glad to help you out for that bimmer.
Thanks for the offer thats not the first time I have heard that. I took me 2 years of searching to find a unmolested m-3 and that was 7 years ago. I have vowed to never get rid of it, my wife wouldnt let it go either she loves that car.
Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
jeffz993
Advanced

Originally Posted by ked
Jeff, I recommend you buy "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager (his column in Sports Car Market is good, too - read the last year's worth), join the 356 Registry, & go to the upcoming LA Lit & Toy Show (esp the tours of the 356 shops). These days, "buying it right" & "don't have time for a project" may be conflicting goals (the best "deal" in 356s, all things being equal, which they never are, are B Coupes w/ N motor, no sr / usable Cabs start at $60-70K) - start saving $ now. Enjoy the chase!
http://www.356registry.org/
http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/
Ked,
are you saying it would be more cost effective to look for more of a project than a finished car? my experience has been to buy a car that has had the work done because you rarely can sell for what it cost to restore. The only exception for me has been my 6 yr. project on a woodie that just keeps going up in value. Dont get me wrong I really dont plan to sell what I have in the future, but it help if it retains its value I can justify it a little easier. Also thanks for the reference material. Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, gotcha - you are quite correct & same for 356s - buying a finished car is almost always less expensive than restoring it oneself. I could have been more clear... my point is that in the 356 market right now, you may have difficulty "buying it right" (depending upon how you define that, & my perhaps mistaken impression was that you have a restrictive budget or really wish to get the very best best deal possible), esp if a restored or survivor open driver is your target. We seem to be in the "no price seems too high, just too soon" stage of a 356 boomlet.

So, not knowing your budget range, it is hard to advise... however, that has never stopped me yet...
a "good deal" might be had by seeking a car that is in the hands of the guy who has owned it for the past 5-10yrs+, was restored / refurbed some years ago but not to show car standard, & has been regularly driven & properly maintained by an experienced 356 wrench (whether the owner or pro).

the issue of Cab vs Coupe is largely determined by $$$s - if ya got enough & want the open Cab enough - go for it... they're all appreciating right now (as are nice coupes). finally, check into your local 356 scene (drive as many as you can!), be patient (which is hard as the prices are trending upward), & get a ppi done by a real 356 expert (on both mechanicals & chassis). & have fun!

Quick Reply: Next car a 356?