Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions from the new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions from the new guy...

Hey folks,

Since I am new to the 356 world I was hoping you guys could help me out with a few questions.

1. Is the interior dash color the same as the exterior body color? In my case the car is Ruby Red, did the factory use the same Ruby Red on the interior dash.

2. Using the decoder I have a 1963 Karmann T6B with 1600 engine. What is the proper emblem that would go on the back lid of the engine cover. I have no emblems currently and want to add them once the car is painted.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. yes, the dash matched the exterior from the factory (if that paint is ok, I would not repaint the dash, thus preserving an original factory-painted panel).
2. do you know if the engine is a N (a Normal, in which case "60" is the emblem, though some may have had no designation), or a S (Super, in which case an "S" is on the rear)? your car would have had the "PORSCHE" emblem below the engine lid.

Brett Johnson's "The 356 Porsche / A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" is a great help when determining the exact trim & placement on an older car undergoing restoration / repaint. I would have the painter examine the tail very carefully for the factory emblem mounting holes, which should confirm what your CoA lists. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ked,

I was not going to paint the dash, but actually use it as the color basis for matching as close to orginal as I can.

My engine is the normal not a Super, when I did the search this is what came back:

production year: 1962 (may not be correct for Carrera engines)
internal designation: 616/1 T6
common name: 1600

So based on this I would assume on the lid it should have "PORSCHE" with the "60" below it, does that sound right.

Thanks for the heads up the book also, will be looking to order it very soon.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a tail shot of a '62 Roadster w/ 1600N motor designation.
using your dash as the reference is a good approach, if you are sure it has been unpainted! one can assume it has faded at least a little since new, even in the interior... another approach is to buy a color sample from Willhoit for your painter to match...

some owners change the designation if a different engine has been installed, others keep the exterior badging "as original" regardless of the engine type.

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/PaintChart.htm
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Two questions from the new guy...