anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Shrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...QQcmdZViewItem

i would love to pick up a nice (not concours) "A" cabriolet sometime in the near future. Something i can have fun with and take on sunday drives w/ the family....

Shrews

Last edited by Shrews; 11-20-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shrews
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...QQcmdZViewItem

i would love to pick up a nice (not concours) "A" cabriolet sometime in the near future. Something i can have fun with and take on sunday drives w/ the family....

Shrews
I may be wrong but from just a casual look at the listing it seems that this might be a bit nicer than what you are looking for. I would suspect a numbers matching roadster like this would go for a fair price.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Shrews
Instructor

the car looks nice, but we all know pictures dont tell all. What should the "market" be for a this car if it has no stories? $100+ i assume?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car looks nice, but we all know pictures dont tell all. What should the "market" be for a this car if it has no stories? $100+ i assume?
If you are willing to look in this range then there is (was?) a nice 'B' available on this board:

https://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum/389061-for-sale-1961-t5-b-roadster.html

or does it have to be an 'A'?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Shrews
Instructor

I really like the A's from a visual standpoint. i have been looking at the link above as well.... the white 'b' is a beautiful example for sure.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this car looks pretty nice & seems the story can (& should) be verified. at first pass; the engine needs detailing, the seats look tired (esp the driver's), the USA bumper over-riders are missing, paint is non-original (if that matters). of course, I'd recommend the serious prospect get an independent PPI.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can- compare the driving experience. Drive a super 90! The S-90 engine is very smooth and has a nice light flywheel so it is very eager to rev. As for the 1958 cab. does it come with a convertible top? The super 90 B cabs/roadsters can now be converted to front disc brakes cheaply. Short of a twin cam the S-90 IMO makes for the most rewarding 356 driving experience. All the best.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

you mean 4-cam?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Shrews
Instructor

i'm sure the 'b' cars are a better drive, but this is more of a styling decision for me. I really love the curves of the older cars. I have the gt3 if i want to go for a spirited drive/or to the track. if the car on ebay goes cheap it might be worth it, although i would want to take it back to its original color as the red/red does nothing for me.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shrews, you are quite right about the iconic styling of the A. In fact, there is increasing interest in the pre-As for reasons along the same lines. Also, the outlaw movement has validated upgrading of 356s when executed to high standard (& tastefully). An A can be made as "drivable" as an SC if one so desires - brakes, drivetrain, whls & tires - without degrading intrinsic market value too much - perhaps not at all. Mods are best if reversable, & the original parts are kept w/ the car.

There has been a significant rise in value of all 356s in the past 3 years. Greater demand, a weak $, aging owner population passing their cars onto the next generation, opportunity to capture a profit, growth in the professional restoration sector... given all that & the flattening / downturn in the economy, I suspect (willing to risk making a projection here...) the rate of increase in 356 values will abate for the next year. That is, growth will not be as strong as it has been. Meanwhile the trend towards diverging sub-markets will increase. Concours & Historic racers / investment grade, survivors, drivers, newly discovered beaters... these sectors will behave more distinctly from one another - look at the spread from drivers to concours... Very nice open cars will remain strong, note how many are now over $100K... & still moving upward (we are competing w/ those buying in euros, etc).

Patience is a virtue, and empowers the buyer. Through research, observation & driving examples, formulate in your mind the ideal example for your taste, budget & plans - educate yourself to the point you can recognize a real nominee in a snap. (the ebay car has a decent paint job that factors into the price - do you want to pay that premium AND throw in another $15K to execute a color change?) Wait until you find THAT car, buy it (after ppi, of course) - it may take a month, or two years. Enjoy the adventure!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Shrews
Instructor

so here is my thought process. I have always loved the early 356's and can stare at them for hours. I dont want to buy the stock market, or realestate... the dollar is going nowhere fast so sitting on cash makes no sense.... why not pick up a 356? it has to be nice enough that i'm not in for a full restoration but not a full concours car that i am afraid to drive. it seems that the 'a' cars sorta fit the budget/design equation for me if i can find the right one. i dont think the ebay car is it though. (it might be at $50k but not at $75k or more.) so if anyone knows of a nice example out there let me know!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

so here is my thought process. I have always loved the early 356's and can stare at them for hours. I dont want to buy the stock market, or realestate... the dollar is going nowhere fast so sitting on cash makes no sense.... why not pick up a 356? it has to be nice enough that i'm not in for a full restoration but not a full concours car that i am afraid to drive. it seems that the 'a' cars sorta fit the budget/design equation for me if i can find the right one. i dont think the ebay car is it though. (it might be at $50k but not at $75k or more.) so if anyone knows of a nice example out there let me know!
Get a 356 registry membership....join the 356talk list...buy the book "Buying, Driving and enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager and you'll find your 356 along the way...that's the right path....believe me! Good luck...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Shrews
Instructor

looks like it went for $65k....

Quick Reply: anyone know this car?