Sponsored by:

Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemna

I have had my 65 sc for nearly four years now. I have done nothing to is but general maintenance, everything runs fine, motor seems strong, I don't have much history on the car, but numbers all match according to Kardex. Original color slate gray and red interior. Currently it is red (looks good from 100 feet) and black interior. Rides on a set of fuchs.

I have been itching to do so real work on the car. Option 1, restore the car mechanically, then strip it down have some one work on the various spots needing attention (rust), take it down to metal and repaint original color, put back together and return interior to stock. The motor is clean and transmission feels, great. So I assume the majority of my cost would be paint and bodywork, as brakes and suspension, and some electrical should not cost more than a few thousand, interior about 4k body and paint about 15k. So maybe for around 25k I could have a very nice car.

The other option, is while still perform the body and paint, but go outlaw, speedster seats, upgraded motor, possibly, roll cage, typical of outlaw, tighter suspension, more brakes, more power.

What would you all recommend, as I know many of you have originals and many have the outlaws. Any regrets either way.

Today the car is a clear driver. Since I only have two spots in my garage, and four cars total including the wifes, I keep two of the cars covered and my underground garage at work, and rotate one of the cars every week to keep them running. I sometimes get to drive the 356 for a full week or two, including driving my son to school, grocery store, meetings, office. It is a real driver.

My other concern if I do either of the two option will I be too worried to drive it as often as I currently do. Has any done similar restoration and regret doing it because they feel that they don't want to risk paint damage or over use.

I always see freshly restored cars for sale. Is this the reason?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slate gray/red...pure magic...restore to "good looking driver " condition...keep driving....

Just some inspiration below!!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I alternate driving my 356 and 997S, my two daily drivers. I intend to paint and reupholster the 356 soon; the engine, tranny and suspension are all in good shape and I have concentrated on upgrading those aspects so far. Once its painted and reupholstered (all of which I hope doesn't take it off the road for too long), I intend to continue driving the hell out of it! As far as I'm concerned, that's what it's for. Since I bought it my decision was that it would be a NICE driver - repro parts OK, I will keep it mostly stock, but I am not freaked out over complete originiality. And I don't intend to be freaked out over a few rock chips and similar after its painted.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
...Since I bought it my decision was that it would be a NICE driver - repro parts OK, I will keep it mostly stock, but I am not freaked out over complete originiality. And I don't intend to be freaked out over a few rock chips and similar after its painted.
I feel exactly the same way. While this philosophy may make purists cringe, it affords me maximum enjoyment of my 356, which I think fulfills the purpose of the car's original design.
It's meant to be driven...and for me that's a hell of a lot of fun. Enjoy your car, don't worship it.
By the way Pedro, that Slate Gray coupe coming off the carrier is one gorgeous car.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leader
By the way Pedro, that Slate Gray coupe coming off the carrier is one gorgeous car.
If I'm not mistaken (I have tons of 356 pics on my HD!) this one belongs to Ken Daugherty from KY...an old timer 356 Registry's member that sold the car by mid 80s and was able to bought it back around 2003...great story...

Last edited by Pedro356C; 11-02-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

It does look like his car, at least the one that I've seen at various ECH events.

Nice................

BTW regarding your Dilemma: take it to the Very Nice Driver stage and then you won't be tempted to sell it for being too nice. We had both original cars and outlaws. A few got to the point of being too nice to drive and that's not always fun. Now we are back to owning a Very Nice Driver and I doubt we'll ever own another one again that we are "afraid to drive".
Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it sounds that the best way to go is to restore to a nice driver not a tricked out outlaw.

As I mentioned before, transmission and engine are running great, so I will leave well enough alone.

The first thing I will tackle will be the suspension, the shocks are shot and the car rides rather rough.

I guess it is time to do some homework regarding the suspension, new shocks, bushings, possibly upgrade swaybar. Rest assured I will be back to ask more questions regarding suspension soon enough.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Max (SD)
I guess it is time to do some homework regarding the suspension, new shocks, bushings, possibly upgrade swaybar. Rest assured I will be back to ask more questions regarding suspension soon enough.

Thanks for the replys.
When was the last time the front suspension was lubricated? You should grease the points every 6 months...all u need is a grease gun and a "six pack"... and jack stands as the front wheels can not touch the ground... as far as shocks, I like the Boge's ride...not soft or hard...good for a driver...and less expensive than Konis...just a matter of opinion...
Old 11-03-2007, 02:15 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max (SD)
Well, it sounds that the best way to go is to restore to a nice driver not a tricked out outlaw.

As I mentioned before, transmission and engine are running great, so I will leave well enough alone.

The first thing I will tackle will be the suspension, the shocks are shot and the car rides rather rough.

Thanks for the replys.

Lots of info on the Registry, of course. After some research, I put Bilstein shocks on mine - I like a firmer ride, but didn't really want to spend the extra $$ for Konis. I put a new Koni steering dampener on, replaced the king pins, link pins, inner tie rod ends. Also put a Willhoit sway bar on. Not sure I needed to do all that, but knowing that its all fresh is a good thing.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

I put a new Koni steering dampener on, replaced
+1 here...beware of the Brazilian cofap steering dumper(it's polically correct for me to say that because I'm Brazilian )...I got one, very cheap from Zims, and it does not work...you'll loose the ability to turn right 100%...it's for a VW Bus and not a 356...get the Koni and you'll be amazed how much your ride will improve with a fresh steering dumper...no more annoying vibration from the steering wheel...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

BTW, I spent 8 hours putting the front shocks and the swaybar on with the help of my two year old assistant; then I got smart and left the rest of the work to the pros!
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

That's it Jim!!!! Start em young !!!!

BTW: <<< --- Did you order a calendar?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

BTW, I spent 8 hours putting the front shocks and the swaybar on with the help of my two year old assistant; then I got smart and left the rest of the work to the pros!

Hey Jim...what is this tongue for? Boges, Konis or the photographer?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Jo - of course, ordered two calendars the first day for ordering (even though I only need one!).

Pedro - I guess he must be sticking his tongue out at me!

Quick Reply: Dilemna