Noob Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Noob Recommendations

Hello all,

I usually lurk the 996 section but have kind of gotten the itch to consider finding an early 356 vintage cab/speedster. I love my 996 cab as a driver but think that it might also be nice to find a complementary vintage car that is not plummeting in value as a keeper. For y'all that are clearly enthusiasts, can you recommend either print or online resources that would be a good starting point for someone just starting to look? FWIW, I feel comfortable around old cars and turning wrenches but have not progressed much beyond the admirer stage with the 356's. I've gone and looked up some pricing resources (e.g. SCM) but there is so much to appreciate beyond just the business stuff.

Thanks so much!

Frank
Atlanta, GA
Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You sound just like me. Just came back from the 356 show in Dana Point. WoW !!! Now I have to educate myself, read, join a few 356 clubs, and swallow hard when the time comes to buy a 50 year old car...Take care...GR
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best place to start is the 356 Registry.
http://www.356registry.org/
and pick out some of these...
http://www.356registry.org/tech/books.html#books
the Southern Owners Group is very active (as are TN Tubs, FOG, all of 'em), so you might contact them at... http://web.mac.com/mbranning/iWeb/35...News/News.html

spend some time around a group of cars & owners and you'll learn alot in a hurry - might even find a car. cheers!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have driven modern 911s for many years, but I always wanted a 356 and finally made the plunge a year ago. 356s are completely different animals but I drive mine frequently - to and from work as well as weekend cruising. I started with a nice "driver" and I am steadily improving it, with paint and new interior hopefully to come in next several months.

The 356 Registry is the preeminent 356 organization; great website at www.356registry.org with most of the stuff available to non-members. But spend the $35 and join, as they have a beautiful bi-monthly magazine loaded with tons of info.

Recommended books to start:
Buying, Driving and Enjoying the Porsche 356, by James E. Schrager

Porsche 356, Guide to Do-it-Yourself Restoration, by Jim Kellogg

The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, Rev. III, by Dr. Brett Johnson

Prices on open top cars are going through the roof so not much cheap fun left there. Coupes can be quite a bit less, but they are appreciating too. You would do well to spend quite a while educating yourself before buying, and getting some really good advice (including a knowledgeable PPI) when you do buy. You need to define what you want - a restoration project, a nice driver, or a fully restored show car (and everything in between). Generally speaking, its probably cheaper in the long run to buy something already fully restored rather than something to restore yourself, unless you want to spend lots of your own time and are capable.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Check out the pricing at European Collectables:

www.europeancollectables.com

Right now they don't have many open cars that aren't big $$$ (almost all open cars are now $$$$), matter of fact, they don't have many 356's at all, but keep on checking back. Sometimes they have as many as 15 / 20 in inventory.

I see that you are located in Atlanta. Join the 356 group that is in Atlanta. They might be able to help you find a car locally.

http://www.356sog.com/

~JoAnne

PS: Yup, Max is for sale.... Again.....
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts
Default The more you know, the better car you'll find.

Originally Posted by jcnesq
...Generally speaking, its probably cheaper in the long run to buy something already fully restored rather than something to restore yourself...
Jim's entire post is full of valuable insight and information, but his last statement is something I heard many times when I was searching for "just the right 356 Coupe."
Another way of saying it is: the only person who gets the full benefit, financial or otherwise, of a nicely restored 356, is the guy who buys it from the guy who restored it.

European Collectibles, here in Southern California, is a beautiful place to "look at" 356s. It's not a spot to get a good price on a car.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you want a "good" price or a good car.?

[QUOTE=Leader]
European Collectibles, here in Southern California, is a beautiful place to "look at" 356s. It's not a spot to get a good price on a car.

Don't expect to find both. Buy the best car that you afford and you will never look back.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks!

To all who've answered,

I really appreciate your kind advice and input. I have been to the EC website and their cars are very impressive both in condition and price. Thanks to y'all for pointing me to the 356 Registry (I've joined) and the 356 SOG (I'm planning to join). In the meantime, I'll pick up a few of the books and gently start to broach to topic to my wife. ("Uh Dear, why are we getting all of these new magazines with old cars?") Alas, if only all women were such gearheads as JoAnne...

Frank
Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"...if only all women were such gearheads as JoAnne..."
Frank, you might want to wait till AFTER you buy your 356 to open up the market to the unlimited resources of the professional shopper. EC prices would be a bargin...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ked
"...if only all women were such gearheads as JoAnne..."
Frank, you might want to wait till AFTER you buy your 356 to open up the market to the unlimited resources of the professional shopper. EC prices would be a bargin...
LOL and what do you mean by that? LOL Yup, Sometimes EC prices ARE A BARGIN!!!

Glad to of been able to help you Frank and good luck on your search. Promise to keep us posted, okay?

~JoAnne
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

You might also check with Bob Campbell - active dealer and good reputation; but just checked his website and its offline during "reorganization"?? http://www.356sales.com/

JoAnne probably knows Bob and can pipe in with more info - I have spoken with him a few times but no dealings.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jcnesq
You might also check with Bob Campbell - active dealer and good reputation; but just checked his website and its offline during "reorganization"?? http://www.356sales.com/

JoAnne probably knows Bob and can pipe in with more info - I have spoken with him a few times but no dealings.

Bob's Website is down right now so the only way you can contact him is by calling or emailing.

If you'd like that info. just send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

We'll be seeing him in Ventura for the German AutoFest. It's almost here!!

~JoAnne
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

JoAnne,
I meant that an expanded demand population having greater resources will distort the market. However, given they wouldn't have your expertise, enthusiasm or sunny disposition, you'd still be in the minority.

Quick Reply: Noob Recommendations