Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peking to Paris Rally, whos driving the purple 1600?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Peking to Paris Rally, whos driving the purple 1600?

I am sailing right now with my training ship and am currently in Tallen, Estonia. I was in the center of town (in the square) and all the Peking to Paris guys were pulling in. Saw a beautiful purple 1600 pull in as well driven by two English chaps.. just wondering if it was anyone on the forums!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about them. But car #22 is my mechanic! I think he is the only one who is not royalty or 8 figure income. Here's a link to him and his car: http://www.dvcamps.com/pekingtoparis

He's been sending e-mails and pictures of their ride through China, Mongolia, Russia, etc.

He did once send me a list of the competitors. It was quite a who's who. I'll see if I can find it and see whose names are there for the 356.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its there on the site:

Car 121 - 1959 Porsche 356A, Gerald Harrison and Andrew Douglas

There is a video of it with an interview with the drivers (cool stuff!):

http://www.dvcamps.com/pekingtoparis/ontheroad.html#
Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM
billhart
Instructor

I have a good friend driving 111- Tom Hayes. He seems to like these relentless endurance events.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Michael Jekot
Instructor

Here is the official web site
http://www.pekingparis.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Here's an update. Wow how about that guy shipping his car to the Netherlands to get it fixed, mid race!

"It dosen't seem possible but the end is geeting closer and closer! Teams are scrambling to get repairs done quickly so they can drive into Paris! Overnight freight is doing a great business with this rally. Questions like "Do you think I will be able to drive my car without the clutch into Paris from Potsdam?" One team is shipping their car to Holland to a collecters shop where he has a gearbox that is one of 8 ever made. He is going gto let them borrow it to drive into Paris. This will all happen in enough time for the team to meet up with us tomorrow night! Talk about "Team" effort. Another team has bought a rally car on the internet to take on another rally. There seems to be a "rally virus" in this group. I don't think I can afford to catch it! My bank probably has a pill for me to take. The Hotel tonight is ultra modern. Everything is clean and new. The Mayer of Berlin has invited anyone who wants to come and meet him to bring their car. We will pass, it's late. Maybe next time. Another team is going to ship their car to New York and drive it to Alaska so as to be able to say they drove it around the world! Every night the hotel bar is rocking and rolling with teams telling stories of the day's run and adventures from other events as well. It is quite a jolly group of people! It has been fun getting to know many of the individuals that make up the teams. They come from all parts of the world. This event has exposed us to many different people and cultures. It's been really great!"
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great line Jay

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
My bank probably has a pill for me to take.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally back on land.. for a few months atleast. Anyhow here are some pictures i was able to get. Unfortunetly i ran out of memory on my 1-gig card.

And talk about a strange car to see while in Europe..

Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
ziim
Track Day

Great pics. I saw the cars myself too.
And in case you dont know, Tallen is actually written Tallinn, peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Peking to Paris Rally, whos driving the purple 1600?