Sponsored by:

14 x 5.5" Fuchs tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
oakniron
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 x 5.5" Fuchs tire size?

I am building an outlaw out of my 64C coupe and I have some questions about the wheels and tires. I have a set of 14x5.5 fuchs that will clean up nice, so I would like to use these wheels. What is the recommended tire size for this size rim? Will I end up with a large sidewall tire? I would like to have a relatively low profile sidewall, but then will a smaller tire diameter cause gearing issues? Please share any experiences with different tire combinations on these rims.

Also, is there a tire/rim combination that is generally agreed to be the optimal size, provided I do not intend to do any clearance/fender work?

I thought this topic would have been addressed ad nausaem, but I was unable to find anything with a search. Any thoughts or specific recommendations on sizes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Damon
Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your target is to have a tire that delivers around 830 revs/mi (approx 25" outer diam) - that was Porsche's design target for their oem tires at the time - as was the use of 15" wheels. if you change the od by much the rest of your susp tuning should be revisited. real final drive gearing (at the road surface) will vary when you deviate from these #s. good 14" tires are getting scarce - it is a limited market. check Tire Rack, etc. for availability - Hoosier is making radial tires for old sports cars too, don't know if they are street legal.

size depends on application, but I think a 205/55 MIGHT fit a 356C (may not belong on a 5.5" rim, though) - but those cars are notoriously idiosynratic - a 1" clearance difference on the rear fenders is not unusual - or unacceptable in a factory original example! figuring out your intent & parameters will point one of many solutions. striking looks or track duty? etc...

356 Registry has a tech article on tire & wheel choices for 356s, too.
welcome to RL!

Last edited by ked; 11-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
oakniron
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ked,

Thanks for the post. I could not find any info about 14” rims on the registry, plenty of info on what works with 15” rims though. If I missed it please post the link. I already checked Tire Rack and they have plenty of choices at 205/55, 205/60, 195, etc for 14” rims. Availability is not an issue.

“Might” fit doesn’t cut it. If anyone has experience with 14” rims and a specific tire size that works, your experience would be greatly appreciated. The car I am building is mild-street performance outlaw (big bore, mild cam, Webers). Its not for the track and I do not want to do any fender clearanceing. Any known good recommendations would be helpful. Or am I better off ditching the 14”s and pony up to 15”s?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, I guess I don't pay much attention to 14" wheels on a 356.
I wouldn't put them on either of mine (one is a '65 SC outlaw).
even if your shoes are free & sharp-looking, but they don't fit - don't wear 'em, I always say...
good luck!

Quick Reply: 14 x 5.5" Fuchs tire size?