Sponsored by:

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
bmil128
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Newbie questions

I'm new on here, I have a few questions and will try not to ramble. Back in the day my dad had a '53 pre-A cabriolet then a '58 A coupe and still wishes he'd kept one of them; now I think I'm getting the bug. I have recently changed jobs and drastically shortened my commute so I will be able to extend the life of my daily driver, so I may be looking for a third car for fun (as long as the mrs. concurs with that)

I am probably looking for a C coupe (or an SC if the right one is available), would be looking for a weekend driver but something that could be shined up and shown off w/o much work (not concours but not a rustbucket). For that reason I probably will want a CA car, would like a recommendation for someone to do a PPI if needed, I'm in the Houston area.

Also, there's a yellow '65 C coupe on EC's website, interior looks a bit rough and the dash may have some chipping near the ignition but looks good otherwise. Thoughts?

I like the grey SC coupe they have offered but it may be out of my range, I emailed them and have not gotten a response.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Al Zim's shop is in the Houston area... There is also a list of people who can/will do PPIs on the 356registry.org website.

I'd also recommend subscribing (at least to daily digest mode) to 356talk, their listserv, and join the Registry as well - you'll get access to all sorts of stuff like the listserv archive (I took mine offline), not to mention the great magazine.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM
bmil128
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response; I have looked on the registry and have seen the listing of shops/people willing to do a PPI.

I should have been a little more clear; I was looking more for anyone w/ experience using anyone in So Cal for a PPI remotely; and if any sellers have put up a fight against having anyone do a PPI. I have read on here about a certain shop here in Houston that tries to push 911s as is w/o any truly independent inspections and has a shady rep as such.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Zim's is in the Dallas Area................

European Collectables is moving to a larger new facility this week. That could be why you haven't heard back from them yet. EC doesn't mine PPI's at all. We've have purchased a car and sold them several of our cars. We have used and recommend the "team" of Peter McNulty and Jack Staggs for a PPI in So. Cal. We had a PPI done by them at EC before. Matter of fact that the PPI came back that the car was okay but we decided that it needed more work than we wanted to do so we passed on that particular car. The following month EC got another car in that we just fell in love with and bought. They are good guys, you just have to remember that you are buying a very old car and things can happen to old cars that weren't expected to happen PPI or not.

JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 10-30-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jensen
I'd also recommend subscribing (at least to daily digest mode) to 356talk, their listserv, and join the Registry as well - you'll get access to all sorts of stuff like the listserv archive (I took mine offline), not to mention the great magazine.
I'd second all the advice above, 'then I'd recommend you to buy James Schrager's boog "Buying, Driving and Enjoying the Porsche 356"...it's the best beginner's book ever...take your time and get involved with the 356 world before you commit to buy yours...cook a little bit before you make your move...

PS. If a shop does not allow you to perform a PPI...give'em the finger!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any period photos of your dads Pre A Cab?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 AM
bmil128
Rennlist Member

I have only seen it on slides and on an 8 mm movie reel; it was a light metallic blue w/ blue top and interior

Quick Reply: Newbie questions