Sponsored by:

Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice.

What do you think about this little coupe. I emailed the guy and he says $50K firm. I hadn't thought about a 356, but this guys is only a few miles from me. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like a lot for a 64'
Chrome 5.5's are not stock of course - wonder what else (the passanger grab handle is leather?)
50k is probly the price of the restoration cost - but nice drivers are in the 30-40's right now
concourse cars are more of course - if this one had done a concouse it would be listed. I would have someone apriase it before buying it may or may not be all that it appears
Old 09-29-2006, 07:24 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I agree. I've never seen a C Coupe for that much $$$ before, even from the high end dealers let alone a private party.
I'm sure he's trying to get some of his restoration costs out of it. He should have known better. You restore a car for yourself, not for resale. It is very rare to get the money that you put into a 356 for a total bare metal, ground up restoration back out of your 356 when you sell it. We got over $80,000.00 worth of recepts with our '58 A Coupe when we bought it, and that is not what we paid for the car.

Go see the car and if you still are interested get a PPI and find out if it has been restored to 100 point Concours condition. If it has, then MAYBE it will be worth the $50,000.00 he is asking for it IF you are going to keep it as a Concours car. If not, go find a nice driver. They are out there... somewhere....

JoAnne

PS: In the pictures on Ebay the car looks spotless and perfect. Still no matter what they look like you have to get a PPI, PPI, PPI!!!

JoAnne
Old 09-29-2006, 09:44 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would want more info (history, CoA, appraisal, accurate mielage? & etc) to justify the asking price. If I were in a position to pay $35+K cash for a 356, I'd go look at it in any case - have him take you for a drive to see what the car is realy like. If it looks like he'll deal & you want it, get the PPI & negotiate like crazy (I'll be surprised to see it make $50K on ebay, or even reserve... we shall see!). good luck!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Wow that looks amazingly clean -
It's your money at the end of the day, it seems high, but let's assume it's done PERFECT - maybe it's worth it to you to have a totally perfect car and if you'll hold onto it for awhile...
Old 09-29-2006, 10:06 PM
texas911
Race Car

Thanks, I'll hang back and let the auction play out. If it doesn't meet reserve, I'll email him and see if he'll negotiate. Sometimes its good to have an objective opinion like you guys give.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd still go inspect it before the auction's over if it's convenient... you learn more everytime you check one out. I note that the seatbottoms don't have the crease they're supposed to, also, the dash top appears overly padded.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

PM sent...
Old 09-30-2006, 02:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

As a point of reference, take a look here at this reputable SoCal dealer - 3 C coupes listed for sale now (all well below $50K, and remember these are dealer prices):
http://www.europeancollectables.com/...inventory.aspx

No doubt the ebay car in Houston is a beauty (at least from the pics). My chiropractor is restoring a 64 or 65 Coupe and our mechanic (we both use him) says he has over $15K just in paint (much of that prep work), then add upholstery and carpet ($5K plus for leather), chrome work, engine work, etc. This guy probably has $50K into the car if he restored it, maybe more. However, the bottom line is that I think 50K is too much for a closed top car and I think you could do better. For that kind of money, I would slow down and really think about what you want, and take time searching for the right car. (I just bought a 60 B Coupe - wasn't looking, saw it on RL Monday night, bought it on Wednesday; however, I got a nice driver at a more affordable level for a B Coupe and can justify my gut decision that I finally needed a 356!).
Old 09-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

A very good looking Ruby red SC indeed...about $8k to $10k overpriced in my humble opinion...engine looks beautiful and the wurth overcoating is "peace of mind"...I had my old C overcoated with Wurth as well...great panel gaps...

Engine (616/16) is at least period correct for the chassis#...original color (6402) is Ruby red...probably the interior was not restored by a 356 shop as the seats don't have the 356 look...check link

http://www.europeancollectibles.com/...to_sequence=20

I prefer the original skinny wheels...I'm not fond of the Brazilian chromed ones, but it's just a matter of taste...

I'd say $42k would be as far as I'd go...but if you fall in love with the car and plan to keep it forever...pay the price and enjoy it...PPI...PPI...PPI...

Good luck...I know you have been lusting for a tube for a long time....
Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
I prefer the original skinny wheels...I'm not fond of the Brazilian chromed ones, but it's just a matter of taste...

Not fond of the Brazilian ones? I thought you were Brazilian???

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Good luck...I know you have been lusting for a tube for a long time....
Ahhh..... I'm not touching that comment with a ten foot pole!!!

JoAnne
Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJT
Not fond of the Brazilian ones? I thought you were Brazilian???

Ahhh..... I'm not touching that comment with a ten foot pole!!!

JoAnne

Hi Jo...being a Brazilian, it's politically correct for me to state my preference!!!

As far as the other statement...OH BOY...I meant TUB...

Hopefully Texas will forgive me based on the fact that English is not my native language!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

As indicated, the seats are wrong, the dash top is wrong, the wheels are wrong, the headlights are wrong, the distributor is wrong - it's not 100% Porsche as claimed. So what else is wrong? Even if you were going to keep it for concours, with those things it's not even a top PCA concours winner. It may still be a very nice car. And the only two things I would quickly change if mine would be to get the correct distributor and get those creases in the seats (because everyone who knows what these cars are supposed to be looks for them - which makes you wonder about the person overseeing the restoration in the first place when something so simple is overlooked).
Old 09-30-2006, 09:30 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You are right, PCA judges would tear it apart (and rightly so since it is not correct), BUT in a mixed Marque People's Choice it would probably do well since most folks go for the looks and they don't know that the dash is wrong, and the seats are wrong, and that the distributor is wrong. They just see a pretty car..... Heck, that even happens at Registry events. I can't tell you how many times I've heard women say (sorry in advance to all real car gals), "Oh, I'm going to vote for that pretty little green car. I love Green". Or "Look at that picnic basket in the back seat". "I wonder where they found it". "Wow LOOK. it matches the car, I'm going to vote for it" LOL

Like I said before, I'm sure the guy is trying to get his money out of the restoration. Maybe he'll be lucky and someone will come along that doesn't know 356's and just grab it up. You never know. Stranger things have been sold and bought on Ebay....

JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 09-30-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
texas911
Race Car

OK you guys. I'm not buying it. You guys are so brutal! I love it! Can't get anything past anyone here. Is this a great resource or what?

Hey Pedro, no worries, I know you well enough.

Quick Reply: Advice.