Is this a 356 banjo wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM
dieselnut
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a 356 banjo wheel?

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if this is a 356 or VW 2-spoke banjo wheel. It has a Petri sun/moon button on it, and was found loose in a VW bus along w/ a lot of other VW parts. It was sitting loose in the bus attached to this steering column, although my knowledge of early steering columns is spartan so that is not much help. I believe a VW column would have been Ivory, unsure of 356. I've read the early columns (at least through '57) were very similar between the two models.

I've read that Petri also made wheels for Borgward, DKW, Mercedes and probably others, this doesn't appear to be any of those based on the steering column.

A thorough search of the web reveals that this is very close to the 356 wheel, except the four metal arms appear to be different. It is very close to the VW wheel, except the angle on the wheel where these fittings meet the wheel is different.

I'll throw up what pictures I have, and add more later. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on selling this thing but want to give the buyer an accurate description of it. A post on pelican parts has received no replies after several days, so I thought I'd try here. A post on the Samba (VW) hasn't resolved the issue... Thanks!

~john

My wheel:

Two-spoke 356 wheel from web (note difference in inner "spokes"):

Two-spoke VW wheel from web (note difference in where "spokes" meet wheel):
Old 04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does not look Porsche too me...the horn ring is definitely not Porsche...too wide!

Quick Reply: Is this a 356 banjo wheel?