Sponsored by:

thinking of jumping into a 356

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of jumping into a 356

I have a 993 and have been lurking here for a while. I am thinking of taking on a 356 project as I am starting to free up some time. I would be interested in some general feedback on this particular car that I am considering as well as pointers to places where I can educate myself about the various 356 models, costs, expectations,etc.

The project car I am considering is a 64 356 SC coupe and is described as:

ruby Red w/ Black interior. Original, unmolested car with 2k mi on Full Engine Rebuild in 1997 at a cost of $7,500.

This will need complete re-painting, but has no structural rust whatsoever. Even the original battery box is still good.

It has been in storage (dry but not heated) since the owner passed away

Where do I look for valuations of similar cars that are already restored for a reference point?

thaks in advance for some help, feel free to point me at previous posts if I am re-hashing old topics.

-sleddog
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two key things to investigate here:

1.) Is the car truly rust free? Or... more realistically, what does "no structural rust whatsoever" really mean?

2) How's that engine doing today? Was it properly rebuilt? Nine years on with virtually no use, is it serviceable? Is it acceptable cosmetically, or will you have to tear it down regardless?

Beyond this particular car, it is key to decide what you really want in a project -- both from a financial, project/process, and end result perspective. The more time you spend thinking about this (and driving a few completed cars) in advance, the happier you will be. Excellence Was Expected, if you haven't read it, is a great primer on all things 356.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleddog
pointers to places where I can educate myself about the various 356 models, costs, expectations,etc.

-sleddog

Hi Sledddog...I also have a 993 and sold my 1965 356C last year...I miss it terribly as these cars are addictive and totally fun to drive...hopefully I'll be back to 356 ownership again soon...

To educate yourself my suggestions are:
1- 356 Registry membership NOW!!!
2- Subscribe to the 356talk over the Internet (more than 2000 owners over the world on the same mailing list)...you can subscribe on www.356registry.org
3- Buy Jim Schrager's book "Buying, driving and enjoying the Porsche 356"...it's the best beginners book in the market...super fun to read...you'll love it...

As far as the car you are checking...is there receipts from the engine rebuilt? Who did it ? How is the car's interior? Do you have pictures to post here? It's kind of hard to guess value with no pics as a description is always subjective...

Good luck on your quest for your 356...
Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I second everthing Pedro said. (I don't think I've ever DISagreed with anything Pedro has ever said!)
The 64/65 SC was the last of the evolution of 356s and the most "refined". To get an idea of what this car might be worth all restored, check some of the 356 dealers like www.europeancollectibles.com and www.356sales.com
There's usually a few private listings at www.hemmings.com
If you have been lurking here for some time now, you are aware of the upward rise in value of 356s in recent years. In the past it was usually thought that only OPEN cars were worth restoring and that you would be losing money to restore a coupe. Not so sure this is the case anymore. Really depends on how much restoration you do yourself vs paying a Pro shop to do it. And what "level" of resto you want. If the resto is done correctly it will be worth alot more than a crude amateur job.
But, the true value in these great cars is getting behind the wheel and smiling from the experience of driving them!

R
Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I'd love to have a 356.... But for the price, a 928 or 944 may be the better car
of course i'd be daily driving
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I 'third' everything that Pedro said--I followed his steps and Pedro actually helped me find my car too! I would also add that for a car like this, you would want to have someone who knows these cars well take a look at it. The engine rebuild very possibly could be a moot point, since these old motors really don't do well if they aren't driven regularly.

I would also add that if this car is not original and numbers matching [engine, transmission, body], the cost of the resto could well outweight what it's worth since it's a coupe and not a cab [as mentioned by Robert above].

Also remember the old adage that "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". With the advent of the internet, almost no one has any of those stories where they get a car for a steal anymore...

Keep us posted!!! You will be very surprised how impressive the performance of these old cars is, even compared with modern cars!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJT
I second everthing Pedro said. (I don't think I've ever DISagreed with anything Pedro has ever said!)
R
Hi Robert...you are the one who is impossible to disagree with, considering you are definitely the most experienced and knowledgeable guy in the Rennlist 356 forum...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, I'll be checking it out shortly and getting more specifics, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I'd love to have a 356.... But for the price, a 928 or 944 may be the better car
of course i'd be daily driving
Hi Vancouver...I'll have to disagree...apples and oranges...it's impossible to compare a 356 with a 928 or 944...two completely different leagues...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Hi Vancouver...I'll have to disagree...apples and oranges...it's impossible to compare a 356 with a 928 or 944...two completely different leagues...
OK This is the FIRST time I have disagreed with you Pedro..........
It's really more like Apples and Lemons!!!!!

J/K

Robert
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

ahh, but that's just the point - while I would love to have an old 356 as a daily driver, it's just not practical... The 928 or 944 would be completely more comfortable and powerful - which is precisely why a 356 just isn't in the cards for my immediate future, sadly.
apples and oranges, lemons?
nah, apples and pizza.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJT
OK This is the FIRST time I have disagreed with you Pedro..........
It's really more like Apples and Lemons!!!!!

J/K

Robert
Fair enough!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Michael Jekot
Instructor

ahh, but that's just the point - while I would love to have an old 356 as a daily driver, it's just not practical... The 928 or 944 would be completely more comfortable and powerful - which is precisely why a 356 just isn't in the cards for my immediate future, sadly.
apples and oranges, lemons?
nah, apples and pizza.
Well then it sounds like you have made up your mind. Pity without ever having driven one. I have a 1964 C coupe and will tell you owning it is one of the 2 special moments in my life. Not to be driven daily, is a fact in Minneapolis where salted roads are a factor but... with proper on going maintanence it would and does work for many owners. Mike
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Well, i mean it's not a huge jump between a 356 coupe and a 944turbo / 928...
It would be a fun daily driver... Plus I could make it a little bit of an outlaw racer look to it, just pull off the hubcaps to start...
i dunno I'll keep it on my list, it's just hard to find the right one while there's a plethora of 928's/944's around
Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

i dunno I'll keep it on my list, it's just hard to find the right one while there's a plethora of 928's/944's around

That's the market speaking...

Quick Reply: thinking of jumping into a 356