Sponsored by:

Knob, switch layout for '55 Continental Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:01 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****, switch layout for '55 Continental Coupe

Does anyone know the correct factory layout, or have a pic or two of the layout for the dash board ***** on a '55 Continental Coupe, or any '55 Coupe I suspect.

I've checked the "Member's Cars" in the Registry and they all kinda seem different. Some with a single small **** above and below the fuel gauge, some with a large top and a small bottom, some with two ***** below the speedo and two below the ashtray some with one below each, and so on.

My dash has one hole above the little gauges and three below (the far left hand one being for the key switch of course), the three little dash light holes, two holes on the lower area below the speedo(?) and one on the lower below the ashtray which I suspect is for the lighter. All of the switches are currently out of the dash being replaced/refurbished so I have no idea what goes where since the dash was apart when I bought the car. All of the *****, large, medium, and small are in a box.

Any help on what's "correct" and which switch and size **** goes where? Any help at all would be wonderful!

Thanks (again!),

TC
Old 01-13-2006, 10:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of our '55 Continental Coupes Dash:

Naturally you can disregard the three gages in the center of the dash where the Telefunken radio would be.

So TC, you are working on an A Coupe as well as a Pre-A??

R
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Maybe this will help you more. This is a copy that was scanned out of our Pre-A Owners Manual:

R

Last edited by RJT; 01-14-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW ! ! Once again, I owe you big time! Thanks so much for the info/diagrams and such. I love the "hand crafted" aspect of the early cars, but there are so many variables that without guidence I'm lost . . .

Right now I'm laying out the electrics for my '55 Pre-A Coupe and re-skinning the passenger's door. After that the body will get the final massage and paint.

We're attempting to get our A Coupe into some sort of workable schedule to put it back together as an SCCA legal car, although the rules are rough for the Production class that it would fall into, so it may end up a PCA event legal car. The brakes are presenting a problem, as is the trans right now. The bulkhead metal is "soft" in areas and there's a limit on how much surface the roll cage feet can occupy. We kind of wanted to tie the bulkhead into the cage but it might not be legal.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to "revive" a rusty SC into something that I can beat around as a daily driver, using any and all the left over bits and pieces from the other two cars, other parts that I've collected, and some mechanicals from an old drag race Ghia. Surprisingly, this is the hardest car to get underway, partly because of trying to find archane information on what will retro fit what, and partly (believe it or not) because a lot of 356 guys don't apparently like the idea of just throwing something together as a beater (NOT Outlaw), and instead either "yell" at me for what I'm attempting or suggest buying replacement/rebuild/restoration parts that would bust the budget wide open and kind of defeat the whole reasoning behind the build.

So, that's what's up for this year. Plus my career and house and my family as well. Kinda busy when I put it all down on paper . . .

Again, thanks SO much for the help! You've solved yet another problem.

TC

Quick Reply: Knob, switch layout for '55 Continental Coupe