Sponsored by:

Dad's Old 356

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad's Old 356

Reading about that gorgious 356 found by the nephew on eBay, I'm posting pictures of dad's 356. He bought it new, custom ordering it at Vasek Polak and receiving it at the end of 1958. It was black/red, normal. He later painted it silver. And he sold it in 66/67 in Palos Verdes, California, to buy a 911. Sadly, he has no numbers - plates or VIN. Though I do have a key! While I'd love to find it and own it some day. I am realistic and don't expect it ever to be found. But, it's fun to share the pictures, and maybe people can spot things about the car to help distinguish it:

Oh, and here is that 911 he sold the 356 for (yes, that's me again. Rest assured, I no longer have those pants!). It was sold about 1975 ish in Chicago Illinois to a couple who came and picked it up driving their red 356. It had tan interior with houndstooth inserts, wood dash, and spark plug holder installed by me and dad.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I should add that I know those are not Rudge wheels - but perhaps equally rare, some sort of period imitation spinners. (Note, I said "equally rare" not "equally valuable"). It does appear to have Super hub caps on the original shot. But, dad didn't think it was an S. Also, on the 911, I believe it was a '66, it had Webers, 5 speed, Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW, and gas heater. He actually got it from a woman who brought it over from Germany.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

That's a great story Jay!!!
How about you take your key to some 356 events and ask the owners if you can try your key in their door? I'm sure more than a few would let you give it a try. Seems there is always a bunch of us 356ers trying to piece together the history of our cars. Our '58 is from So. Cal and lived some of it's later life near in Malibu, and some in San Pedro (that was a big surprise to me because I was born and raised in San Pedro). The rest right now is still unknown.
Could it be your Dad's car??? You never know.........................

JoAnne

PS: I love that first picture of PV. There are no houses in the background. I sure can remember those days. We lived two blocks below Miraleste Drive. When we'd look up at PV hill there was nothing up there but the two big ***** (I believe they were radar???) on the very top and a couple of homes. Now it's wall to wall houses!!!!

Quick Reply: Dad's Old 356