Sponsored by:

Price opinion on 356C

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM
vicn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price opinion on 356C

Was wondering if I could get an opinion from you guys.

in your best guess what would you price a....

1964 356C Coupe, roller project, standard rust but missing the engine other wise complete.

i'm thinking of using it as a project for an outlaw then after a while to be used in racing.

thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Newbie...bear in mind that you'll spend more $$$ than the car's value by the time you finish the restoration, unless you have the skills to do it all by yourself...to bring a coupe from death is a matter of love and I wish you the best of luck...almost forgot...the owner must be expecting no more than a couple hundred bucks...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

wags...
if it were mine & I were selling it, I'd hope for $5K...
if I were buying, $1-2K.
price of a usable, good running street & track 356C: approx $20K+

specifics are critical inputs; how bad is the rust, where, repair strategy, how much of your own labor, etc. condition & originality of the interior, trunk area?... is toolset complete? condition of major mechanical subsystems; fuel, brakes, steering & suspension, transaxle, chassis electrical, etc.?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by ked
wags...
if it were mine & I were selling it, I'd hope for $5K...
if I were buying, $1-2K.
price of a usable, good running street & track 356C: approx $20K+

specifics are critical inputs; how bad is the rust, where, repair strategy, how much of your own labor, etc. condition & originality of the interior, trunk area?... is toolset complete? condition of major mechanical subsystems; fuel, brakes, steering & suspension, transaxle, chassis electrical, etc.?
Last year, a guy (friend of mine) sold a complete "basket case" 1964 for $1.5k...I helped him to sell, advertising at the 356talklist...a Registry member from TN came down here to haul the car and avoid shipping costs...he was going to do most of the work himself...I wonder whether or not he did finish it!

He said "standard rust"...probably a basket case considering the engine is not even there...if there's structural rust involved...forget about it...

My advice is...pay between $5 and $8k for an ugly but mechanically sound car and start from there...a guy I know from Coral Gables-FL was selling his 1964 for around this price (probably sold by now)...original two owners...all receipts from new, mechanically sound but rusty and with an ugly interior...the kind of car you get from between $5 and $8k and start from there...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
vicn
5th Gear

thanks

the sellers right in the money then, he's asking 4k. I checked it out but you know i forgot to look at the rear suspension.

i'd probably get buried in it, i'll keep looking.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

the "ideal" deal is to buy an already completed car that has been a driver for a year or more, that has some successful (& reliable) track / DE time, perhaps w/ a few known items that need attention or rebuilding. oh yeah, "divorce forces sale..." is a nice feature for the buyer (sometimes the seller, too!).

PS; those suspension issues can be critical - twisted, rotted torsion bar tubes, weakened pick-up points, etc. of course ANYTHING can be fixed - that's why (among other reasons) there are $200K GT Carreras!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
TC/914
Advanced

I just bought my '64 SC without an engine for $500.00, it's a roller, but rusty. There are a couple of pics on my "Can VW parts be used in a 356 SC?" post.

I'm hoping for a similar out come for my car as well,

LUCK!

TC

Last edited by TC/914; 12-06-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by TC/914
I just bought my '64 SC without an engine for $500.00, it's a roller, but rusty. There are a couple of pics on my "Can VW parts be used in a 356 SC?" post.
TC
That's what I said...a couple hundred bucks is the correct price...for the buyer is a dream and for the seller a chance to remove "that carcass" from his backyard!

TC...I congratulate you and I truly hope that you fulfill your dream...to bring a "tub" back to the road and its glory is definitely a work of love for the cars... there's an excellent book on restoration..."Guide to Do it Yourself Restoration" by Jim Kellogg...maybe you can get there some skills to perform the first steps and save some $$$...to join the 356Registry and their talklist is also a must...many people there fighting the same battle as you...good luck...sincerely!!!

Quick Reply: Price opinion on 356C