Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can VW parts be used in a 356 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can VW parts be used in a 356 SC?

I know that it might seem like a terrible step backwards, or worse . . . but I was wondering if there was any information on the web, or if anyone here knew if it was possible to swap out the Porsche transaxle, swing axles, spring plate housings and disk brakes and install VW parts in their place on a '64 356SC?

Any help or leads to where I might gather the information?
Thanks !

TC
Old 12-01-2005, 09:54 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

TC: The very early 356's shared major VW components but by '64 most of the parts you mentioned are exclusive to your model, some may be exclusive to your model year. There are methods of employing some VW parts in your 356 but for the time and effort it's one step forward two steps back. It sounds as if you might want to built an "outlaw" car. You should use the forums and seach engines to learn as much as you can about the cars, where the parts and experts are. Excellence magazine has many a fine article on whack and chopping to create very unique personalized Porsches. Getting into the hunt for design ideas and value on parts is one of the best parts of owning an early car.

Peter H
Old 12-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many interchangeable parts...the axle boot for example...transaxle and disc brakes...I don't think so...

Best source of information would be to get a 356registry's membership www.356registry.org and join the 356talklist over the Internet...great knowledge there...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
TC/914
Advanced

How about just the spring plates? Can heavy duty adjustable VW spring pates be used on a 356C? Anyone know?

Thanks !

TC
Old 12-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Stratman
Racer

I would hate to think I would stoop to bastardizing an SC with any VW parts. I don't get it?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stratman
I would hate to think I would stoop to bastardizing an SC with any VW parts. I don't get it?
Agreed 100%
Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

tc, to put it nicely, it is a false economy to downgrade your Porsche via (ostensibly) cheaper VW parts...
- it usually isn't cheaper (it's a global market w/ very smart vendors & buyers these days)
- it may not perform like a Porsche part (devil is in the details, & the devil just blew your $6K motor)
- the resale value will be compromised (top $ buyers aren't fooled by fools)
anyway, if you are serious about your 356, join the Registry & learn from the Masters...
good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 AM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

TC: Send an email to Jim at http://allroadmotorsports.com/. He knows his way aroung these cars pretty well.

Peter H
Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
tc, to put it nicely, it is a false economy to downgrade your Porsche via (ostensibly) cheaper VW parts...
- it usually isn't cheaper (it's a global market w/ very smart vendors & buyers these days)
- it may not perform like a Porsche part (devil is in the details, & the devil just blew your $6K motor)
- the resale value will be compromised (top $ buyers aren't fooled by fools)
anyway, if you are serious about your 356, join the Registry & learn from the Masters...
good luck!

Words of Wisdom.

Robert
Old 12-05-2005, 10:47 AM
TC/914
Advanced

Sorry Gang,

I should have been a little clearer regarding the car involved.

The SC was picked up from the last of a series of owners who used it as a parts mule and let the body and chassis go to rust and rot. It's missing a lot of the drive train and the rest has either never been touched in decades of sitting or the seller would like returned to him.

Here is a pic or two to help explain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...l/IMG_1561.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...l/IMG_1559.jpg

I would just like to return the car to everyday use as easily and I guess cheaply as possible, just because I hate to see it this way. I have a LOT of VW racing pieces around, and a pretty well equipped shop to do the work in. I just need a little more knowledge of the later car's suspension components. I'm not too concerned about doing it this way as it'll never be worth anything as it sits right now, and is too far gone for a restoration, at least in today's world, AND I'd hate to just continue stripping it of it's parts.

I also have a 1955 Continental Coupe that I HAVE spent the necessary time, money, and care on. The engine, suspension, and interior are set up for autocross and a little rough housing on the roads, but from ten feet away, it looks completely stock.

Thanks! I didn't mean to get myself in any trouble . . . .

TC
Old 12-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a post from this weekend on 356talk about someone parting out a SC coupe. Maybe its a chance for you to get the right items at a "deal", especially if you have the shop and skills to do it yourself.

Other option would be to go outlaw and do it however you'd like...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"just some touch-up paint & a little tlc - it'll be fine..."

TC, no need to apologize! you are to be commended for bringing one back from the brink - & how can you get in trouble on a special interest forum, anyway? I have a '65 SC driver & have read much of the literature on the 356 series, plus my bro has had one since '68. while the "pre-As" had a good deal of VW parts interchange, as they progressed through A, B & C, that became less common. So, your SC has the least degree of shared parts. Further, even when there was an interchangable part, sometimes Porsche spec'd a higher grade from the OEM (& sometimes that was VW) than was used on the Beetle. However, some parts CAN be sought & used. Bearings, bushings & some 6v elect components fall in that category. However, the prices (as I noted) are often no more for the SC flavor that the VW.

If I were in your position (assuming you are planning to make it a driver, nothing fancy - just economical & fun), I would (you probably know all this already - I don't mean to be condescending)...
* inventory each system that requires overhaul & list the parts you expect to replace.
* select a vendor(s) for sourcing those parts & to depend upon for related techncial expertise.
* on exorbitantly expensive parts, research alternatives (used, repaired, trade, VW interchange, etc)
such a plan is one way to minimize budget surprises - or at least have early warning of what is going to take lotsa $.

I have found the 356 Registry (the ListServe, books & technical material they promulgate) to be valuable. Also, the first volumes of UpFixn have lotsa 356 content. In Vol IV, p279 there is an interchange list, only 10 items, mostly Bosch parts. If you don't already have it, Schrager's "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Porsche 356" is a good read, as is Spencer's "Porsche 356 Performance Handbook" & of course Elfrink, Pellow, etc.

There have been 356 projects that have utilized a VW drivetrain to replace a missing Porsche drivetrain - almost a "silhouette 356 w/ VW underneath". Do whatever works for your situation, but it is nice (& potentially valuable) if a car is kept basically stock so that it might be later made "even more original" by a subsequent owner.

You've reminded me of a Continental Coupe I once saw stacked atop a pile of old imports. I ALMOST pursued this car, though it looked pretty poor (this was in the early '80s). Of course, now I KNOW I should have, since the intervening years have encouraged me to imagine that it was "complete & basically sound". Yeah, right...
Best of luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:14 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Thanks for the advice KED!

That list that you provided is a big help. I've been so overwhelmed by the lack of parts and what needs to be done to replace them, that I haven't really considered a comprehensive have/need/want list or game plan as to how I ought to procede.

I should be listing or removing and checking the pieces that are present rather than casting about for random information on how to make non factory parts work where they don't really belong . . . again, thanks !

TC

Quick Reply: Can VW parts be used in a 356 SC?