Experts opinions on 356A on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Experts opinions on 356A on eBay

I have been wanting a 356 for some time and my wife just brought this car to my attention this morning - she'd like me to pursue it.

I have had several Porsches but have never had a 356 - I'd really appreciate any opinions on this car, things that I should look out for, questions that I should ask, etc...

Link to 356A Cab on eBay

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 10-22-2005, 11:18 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Hi Rick,
It sure looks nice in the pics! But I always wonder why a really nice car ends up on Ebay. Why didn't it sell first between friends? Or next, by word of mouth within the 356 registry? Nice 356s are sold pretty quickly these days and Ebay always seems like a last resort because it hasn't sold the other ways.
This said, doesn't mean this isn't a good car though. I would go on www.356registry.org and contact someone that lives near the location of the car and have them PPI it for you. Most 356 folks will be happy to do this for you, some for free!
I see that there is only a day or so left on the auction so this would need to be done today. That might be hard to pull off.
The only thing I see from the pics is the engine looks pretty dirty and oily. If the rest of the car checked out OK, but the engine needed lots of work, like a complete rebuild, figure 8 to 10 grand for a professional job.
As it sits right now at 38 grand, it looks like a good deal. But that bid may double by end of auction! Prestine A cabs can easily reach into the 60s. I think European Collectibles has a fairly decent one right now that needs a little TLC for 55K. A little TLC can run into $$$ if you aren't careful.

Let us know what you find out.....

Robert

PS.....sounds like you have a really cool wife......I've got one too!

Last edited by RJT; 10-22-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rick...any 356 Cab will be a good investment for both your soul and assets...I have to second Robert's opinion regarding the engine...it looks like a neglected one! Could be just dirty but who knows...86K original miles is probably BS unless the seller is able to present documentation to back up his statement...the important thing is to know how solid the car's structure is...kind of hard to tell by these small low definition digital pics...by the way, the car is listed on the Registry's database but there's not much info about it...just the information from the certificate of authenticity...

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Experts opinions on 356A on eBay