Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "what's this car worth?" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Joanne! I am here, and am even packing a few more photos of the car.

BTW, anyone can feel free to hijack this thread. If you wish, please consider it a community "what's this car worth?" post. Or as they say in Mexico, mi thread, su thread.

Here are the additional photos. Still haven't seen it. Everyone's comments made me a little gun shy. The seller has indicated to me, however, that price is VERY negotiable. He conceded that his initial asking price of $30k was too high, and has dropped it all the way down to $20k. Now does it sound more reasonable?

Thanks to everyone who has offered insight!
Attached Images     
Old 07-24-2005, 01:57 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
hey Joanne! I am here, and am even packing a few more photos of the car.
BTW, anyone can feel free to hijack this thread. If you wish, please consider it a community "what's this car worth?" post. Or as they say in Mexico, mi thread, su thread.
Here are the additional photos. Still haven't seen it. Everyone's comments made me a little gun shy. The seller has indicated to me, however, that price is VERY negotiable. He conceded that his initial asking price of $30k was too high, and has dropped it all the way down to $20k. Now does it sound more reasonable?
Thanks to everyone who has offered insight!
The truth be said, I think most of us here think you can do much, much better. Just from looking at the pictures you can see that the car needs work. Most cars appear great in digital photos... you know they are great 20 foot cars, but when you see them in person, OH BOY! Also sounds like the owner may have known he was priced way too high for a car that needed a lot of work. He doesn't sound too honest, and that is not a good way to sell a car. I'd say buyer beware big time....

"Does the deal sound better"? A little, but not much. Changing out that interior will be about $6,500.00 for leather from Auto's International. The puffy dash is also screaming to be redone. Plus if they cut into the dash to add the bigger incorrect gages, Wow who knows what that would cost to repair. Hmmmmm.... Now we haven't even looked at the engine yet........ Oh, and the head liner looks like it's coming undone/tearing??

For comparision got to www.europeancollectables.com Check out the White C. They are asking 27,900.00 . It's a Matching numbers, Matching Paint, Correct Interior car. I'm sure they would deal on it a little. Now then, $20,000.00 for the local car doesn't look so good now, does it?

Call us if you have more questions. Robert and I have just been hanging around. It's to darn hot to do anything else!!!!!

JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 07-24-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks JoAnne. To twist an old phrase, it sounds like this one is "not for purchase at any price." Your point about the Ivory 356C is well taken. That's a much nicer car for not much more dinero.

We'll see what happens. My impression of the seller is not that he was being intentionally dishonest, but rather he didn't know what he was selling. It's his sister's car, neither is really an active enthusiast, and they seem motivated to sell the car quickly. He priced the car based upon the suggestion of a local mechanic, and after speaking with more people, has adjusted it down.

We're feeling the heat also! When contemplating the 356, I've caught myself thinking, "Just what we need--ANOTHER car without air conditioning!"
Old 07-28-2005, 05:18 PM
356wannabe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$30K is a lot for a hardtop that isn't special in some way. "Daily drivers" as opposed to "trailer queens" seem to go for between $12K-$22K. Check out 356 prices on E-Bay for 356's a point of reference.

Quick Reply: Yet another "what's this car worth?" thread.