Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My amazing wife works on our '55 BadMax...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:14 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

You almost get the feeling at Parade that the old cars are not important. Sort of just a freak side show or something. I find it very sad.

Harry, don't quit PCA. Panorama is a great Magazine and there are many MANY nice people within the club. Just don't get mixed up in the politics at all and you will be fine. We sat with two of our judges at the Concours Banquet and after a rough start with one of the wives (who wanted to know why we were at THEIR tableand wanted us to move. We were PLACED THERE!!!!) everything was fine and we had a good time. Most of them are nice folks, just some of them (judges) take the jobs too seriously. It is hard work to get a car ready for a Full Concours and it is very disappointing when you get dinged for natural occurances that are beyond the participants control.

Someone who used to do Concours and no longer does told us his take on Concours and it's funny and so very true!!! He said Full Concours is like inviting 50 of your best friends into a room with an examination table set up in the middle. Then you give them all a rubber glove and sit on the table and ask them all who would like to be the first to perform an **** exam on you!!! Heavens to Betsy!!!! I think he's got that right!!!!! I'M LAUGHING My Butt off!!!! TOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!

JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 07-04-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

I just never understood the concours thing... I know, to each his own, but spending all that time with a tooth brush to clean the underside of a car ??? And then look what you get, aggravation because of silly judging... As a matter of fact I hear a lot more complaining about concours on all the boards than I hear about fun and satisfaction...

Hell, Max is cool and special, and that's worth more than any silly $15 trophy ! I'm off to home depot to get me a PCA engraved trophy for my car, want one? ;-)

I am really bummed Max is sold, that car is special! Are you replacing it wth another project ? I hope so !!

Meanwhile here's what I got me this week end... No tooth brush required, except maybe to wash the bugs off my teeth - here being taken for a spin by my wife and a girlfriend...

Old 07-04-2005, 08:12 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah Greg, you are right. I don't understand it either. Too bad it took 750 q-tips on the undercarriage (not including the 750 we used before last years Parade!!!) to figure it out...............

We have a new project, Gunter. Didn't you see his picture? There also may be a '57 Speedster in our corral soon also. We are waiting for it to come in so we can check it out and decide if it is the one for us. IF we get the Speedster, it will stay Original. Gunter is a mild outlaw already. We are going to have fun Playing with him and changing him even more Did anyone say driving lights??

Love the Boxster! I had one. It was a fun car. We only sold it because Robert was toooooo tall to be comfortable in it. I can't have a car that RObert can't also enjoy. That wouldn't be fair. Boxster's are a kick in the pants. I wouldn't mind having another one one day....... and another 993

JoAnne
Old 07-04-2005, 08:33 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

so, who bought Max!?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:51 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A guy in Southern California...................

JoAnne
Old 07-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
It's really cool for your wife to go for a ride in your car with YOUR girlfriend.

JoAnne,
The new Boxster seats sit a few inches lower. Not that it was ever a problem for me but my buddy is 6'2" and he just bought an '05 because he could finally fit.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:09 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I really like the looks of the new Boxster. What should it be next: a new Boxster or a Speedster???? Hmmmmmm Robert is 6'4" and all legs. We'll have to find a new Boxster around here and see if he fits. We know he fits in a Speedster, at least with the top down!!!!

Tony, nice seeing you at Parade. Did you ever get a chance to enjoy, or did they have you working all week long. Seems like everytime I saw you, you were either carrying a Box or handing out door prizes or, or, or.....
BTW:Is you car missing a passenger side visor??

JoAnne
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 AM
mxbanker
Racer

You still made the podium and it was rigged!!!!! Nice job anyhoo and sounds like the result was a winner (financially speaking )
Old 07-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think that roadsters had a passenger visor. I'm no expert though. I pretty much worked the week. I knew going in that the only way to get to the parade was to "volunteer". No problem. That was a years worth of excercise for me.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:04 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mxbanker
You still made the podium and it was rigged!!!!! Nice job anyhoo and sounds like the result was a winner (financially speaking )
No Podium. Even Second place didn't get an award.................. Only First.
Full Concours class was considered small. Touring class had two more cars and they went two deep (manybe even three) on the awards. Can you imagine getting second in Full Concours and not even being given a ribbon or anything?? PCA has over 3 million bucks in the bank, yet when it comes to Parade the local Regions have to make sure it (the Parade) is self sufficient and maybe even makes money. Sponsorships and registrants pay for it. No wonder they have 3 million in the bank! What is is for? Racing? Salaries??? Hmmmm....... It would be nice to know the answer to the 3 million dollar question. Lots of people talk about it.

ANYWAY...... Like I said we won last year, so it's okay.
AND Yes, finacially speaking we did win. I'm sure we will be dumping that gain into another Porsche soon.

JoAnne
Old 07-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto on the boxster (sorry about the lack of 356 content - well my 356 needs a tuneup). As a previous 986 owner, on the 987 the seats go WAY lower, the footwell is deeper and the pedals are further away, and the wheel finally telescopes as well as tilts !

Perfect driving position, and perfect engine placement ;-)
Old 07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg D
Perfect driving position, and perfect engine placement ;-)
Nah.... Perfection stopped with the 356

JoAnne
Old 07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Joanne,
Top 3 is podium in a race and top 3 show up in results so........
Podium lol

How bought coming to Ventura Ca Sep 10 for the german-autofest and doing non- PCA concours with gunther for fun ???
See you there
Mark
Old 07-06-2005, 01:02 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We are going to try to be at the German AutoFest again this year. We want to see our old '74 911 that ROBERT sold in 1998. The current owner promised he'd be there with it this year. We would love to buy it back from him. It was the Porsche we owned when we first got married. Anyway, our new '58 356,Gunter, is one strong car. I have no doubt we could drive to California and back without a problem. We shall see.....

I love your reasoning when it coms to awards, but it's not racing . Too bad huh?

JoAnne
Old 07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I give you guys 3 months before you start missing Max and realize you shouldn't have sold him ;-)

Then again you can always make another !

Quick Reply: My amazing wife works on our '55 BadMax...