some issues after engine install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:51 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default some issues after engine install

installed the engine yesterday. looks good, but there are a few issues.

im getting a noise from the engine. its hard to describe. kinda sounds like a bearing groan, but its not comming from inside the motor. sounds like its either the fan or generator. my dad thinks the fan may be rubbing or the generator bearing might be going. but then again, its not a consistant rubbing noise, kinda a whirring noise. could this possably be the full flow? I have heard the full flow filter set up makes a groaning noise. its comming from the top of the engine though.. i can hear it better when i put my head near the generator and fan.

any thoughts?!?
whats the best and easiest way to diagnose this? -can it be done with out removing the engine, fan shorud etc, or do i need to dig in take the shroud off and find out?

also the throttle seems to be hanging up some where. it didnt want to start at first, (took a bit for fuel to get to the carbs) and when it did start i reved it a bit to get it going. it seemed to hang up at about 3000, and then was slow to return. thoughts? what to look for as far as what the culpret could be (other than obvious carb linkage)?

also i think the full flow oil lines may be too short.. ill need to take pics when i get home from work, but im really limited on where i can mount it. the lines are not long enough to get it up in the fender well where most have it. when i called duane and asked about the filter, he said i would need to make a bracket. any suiggestions on this? im thinking about just buying new, longer steel braded oil lines at jegs or somthing so i can mount it up in there over the fender bracket. would that be a bad thing or not? ill take pics when i get home around 5 so you can get a better idea of what im talking about.

damn i wanna drive it so bad, but havent since the filter isnt mounted yet and im too nervous about the noise.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Harry,
Do you have a auto stethascope? If not pick one up. A cheap one ( $10 or so) will help isolate the sounds. Could be the generator bearing.

Are the carbs synched right on? And the throttle adjustment screws?

I like your idea of buying new lines from Jegs.

R
Old 05-09-2005, 12:46 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

i would get the lines from classic and speed parts in cali (wher i get alot of my stuff), but i dont want to wait 5 days for shipping, and jegs is about 10 mins from my house.

i turned the generator by hand.. only noise i heard was the 'weasing sound' of pistons compressing in and out. no grinding or scraping. so im pretty sure its not that.

after talking with alot of the 912ers, they said that the full flow system is noisey when its cold and sounds like a groaning noise. so im going to assume its that. (most people say their full flows make the same noise).

here is a pic of how much line i have to work with. i can raise it up about 5 inches from where its at on the wood block (please excuse the rusty exhaust.. my new ceramic coated bursch is not back yet).

its a little too close to the exhaust for my comfort
Old 05-09-2005, 12:49 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

here is a link to some pics of where most people mount them.. much higher in the fender well than i can get mine...

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=92350

btw, yeah carbs were rebuilt, balanced and sync'd by duane when he ran it before shipping it back. new linkage etc too, which was of course adjusted.

the distributor is an 050, & its only a few years old. its not like im running a 40 year old 022 or 031 that wont return anymore (have one of those im planning on sending to don marks when i get the money though )

Quick Reply: some issues after engine install