Sponsored by:

356. Cab or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 356. Cab or Coupe?

If you were to get a 356, would you get a coupe for say $25K or a cab for $40K? Thinking long term ownership? The way I see it, if your 356 will need work, it seems like its only worth it if its a cab. Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you will be restoring it, you'll almost certainly end up upside down if it isn't an open car. Heck, I got my coupe for free (sorta, inherited it) and when I'm done restoring I may break even... not that I'll sell. Personally I'd rather own a coupe than an open car, but I'm not much of a "wind in my hair" kinda guy.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I agree with Steve, and have posted similar opinions recently on another thread. But as the open cars, especially Speedsters, Roadsters, and Convertible Ds, go up, up, and up in price, the Coupes are being drawn along too. I have seen Very Nice Coupes going for high 30s lately that were maybe high 20s not too long ago. EC just sold a Black 59 A sunroof Coupe. They were asking 45K for it, and I'm sure it went for pretty close to that. They also sold a C Coupe very similar to mine, only mine is a Euro spec car, for 39.9K.
So, I wouldn't dismiss Coupe's as not being worth restoring. They just won't make a profit when you go to sell it like an open car will. But if making a profit on these wonderful and great cars is all that it's about, then I'm doing it all wrong!

Keep the Faith!

Robert
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Norbert,
If you are interested in a nice Coupe, check out www.356sales.com
Take a look at the 56 Coupe for $58,000.

R
Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I'd be considered a bottom-fisher on the 356 food chain. My '59 D (acquired in '82) cries for a complete restoration, but first I think I'll put it back on the road, then decide how & when to proceed - maybe it will stop crying & start humming. My '65 SC is a recent find (a decent buy as a far-from-perfect driver) that I intend NOT to restore, but just keep driving for fun & maintaining / modifying for therapy. So, I don't rate financial ROI as highly as I value the pleasure of owning & operating these fine expressions of useful machinary. To me, the 356 (& 911, among other sports cars) represents a high water mark in our Western techno-civilization. So...

If turning a 356 for investment is NOT your #1 priority, & you are in a position to afford any style of well-preserved or restored 356, then just get the best example of the type you will like owning & driving most. Condition being equal, the O&M cost will be a push. If you are bottom fishing AND plan to restore it AND have plenty of $ - then get the most sought after one possible in the worst possible condition - there was 1/3 of a D w/ a VIN plate on ebay a few days ago, for example. That approach is like buying a house for the view, razing the house & building anew. Seems certain 356s are getting there - like some 50's & 60's Ferraris...
Old 04-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Texas911...your thread generated a couple of very intelligent and precise comments regarding market and 356 ownership...bottom line...prices are going up...the Cabs are pulling the Coupes along and your price range will lead you to a very good looking driver Coupe or a not so good looking driver Cab...a Cab on the same league as the $25k Coupe would cost around $50...take a look at the EC web site and their price minus 4 or 5K is the private party value...approximately of course...just as an example...I needed some cash this month and considered selling my 65C...fortunately I found another route to fix my business cash flow...anyway, if my car would have reached the market...I'd be asking $26k...all matching #s...engine rebuilt 8k miles ago and tranny rebuilt 4k miles ago...very well preserved car with the original square weave carpet in great shape, original undercarriage , rock solid body, excellent gaps and re-spray of original Dolphin grey color and blue interior...no issues to deal with whatsoever...some paint flaws such as small nicks, scratches and a couple of dents but still a very good looking and charming little car...not a car like Robert's Helga...his car if you see the pictures is an over $35 car...anyway, you look like you already know what to expect by the realistic price range you established for your car...

Good luck...hopefully you'll soon be the custodian of a nice example...

Quick Reply: 356. Cab or Coupe?