Sponsored by:

Speedster 1:43 Scale Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Speedster 1:43 Scale Model

I'm looking for a 1:43 scale model of a 356 Speedster. There was one sold through the Selection catalog a couple of years ago (in silver) as part of a 5-car set, which is made by Minichamps. I'm interested in just the Speedster model. Does anyone know where I can find the Minichamps model in either silver or white?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:41 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Good Luck Oggie!
I used to be in the model car biz, specializing in Porsche. The majority of those sets were sold as sets only and only a few were "broken up". I bought 10 Speedsters from a Porsche dealer for $5 each (!!!) and resold them. Sorry, all gone.
I did a web search of all the diecast retailers that I know of that sell Minichamps, and nothing turned up.
I do have a couple 1/43rd Speedsters left that are made by 'Detail'. These are no longer produced either. $49.00 each plus shipping. Both are Silver, one is decaled with #36 on the doors. Quality is not quite at Minichamps level, but they aren't bad.
Other than that, keep an eye on Ebay. One will occasionally show up, but they will go for $$$.

I wish I had those 10 back that I sold for 10 bucks!

Robert
Old 02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Long Islander
Racer

RJ, how'd you buy them for $5 apiece? My Porsche parts guy found the set in a Spring 2003 Selection catalog for $225 (all 5). That comes out to $45 each. I asked him if he'd sell me just the Speedster, but he said I'd have to talk to the general manager, which I'll do on Monday. Other than that, I model car shop in Vancouver said Minichamps is coming out with more colors, including white, in the next couple of months. I'm just as happy with white, and it's only $47.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL......There was actually an ad in Excellence magazine by a Dealership that was cleaning house. "Own a real Speedster (1/43rd) for only $5".
I called expecting to hear that they were all gone. The guy said he had about 10 left.....so.......

You might consider buying the set and selling the rest and just keeping the Speedster. I'm sure there's somebody out there looking for just the 550 or RSK.
But the set is a collectable, and since they only made a certain quantity, it will always be worth what youy pay for it, maybe more!

Robert
Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i want a 1/1 of max myself
Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try here: http://www.auctionworks.com/store/de...o=hookedoncars

Nicole is the owner of this store and is a P car nut on the 928 forum.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:09 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I checked earlier......Not available.

R
Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Default I finally found one!

As you can see from my original post, it took me nearly three years. Actually, I kind of stumbled onto this after giving up. In the interim, I bought a black one, a pale blue one and a rare ivory one. Here's a photo below.

BTW, now I can't even remember what else was included in the 5-car set. I know it was a Boxster, a 550 Spyder, the 356 Speedster. But the other two?

Interestingly, back in 2005, my local Porsche dealer had the set in a display case in the showroom, so I asked the parts manager. He said the set was made for Porsche dealership owners only and never sold. Is that true? In any event, the owner of the dealership was not interested in selling the set or any part of it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

See??? Patience IS a virtue.

Glad you finally found one!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
BTW, now I can't even remember what else was included in the 5-car set. I know it was a Boxster, a 550 Spyder, the 356 Speedster. But the other two?

Interestingly, back in 2005, my local Porsche dealer had the set in a display case in the showroom, so I asked the parts manager. He said the set was made for Porsche dealership owners only and never sold. Is that true? In any event, the owner of the dealership was not interested in selling the set or any part of it.

To answer the rest of your questions now that I've talked to Robert and looked in our display cases: The cars in that set were: The #1 car, 718 RSK, 356 Speedster, 550 Spyder and the Boxster

What the dealer told you back then was not true. They (PORSCHE) made 1000 sets and they were all numbered and sold to whoever wanted them.
That particular dealership probably only ordered and BOUGHT ONE.... for the dealerships owner!!! LOL!!!
Robert alone bought at least a dozen complete sets to resell at shows. Then he bought a whole bunch of 718 RSK from a dealership in So. Cal. that decided to break up the sets to sell the models individually. He also bought 10 Speedster from the dealership on the East Coast (I forget where) that were selling them for $5.00 each, but then Robert already told you about those.....

Are you interested in Collecting Speedster's only?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Originally Posted by RJT

To answer the rest of your questions now that I've talked to Robert and looked in our display cases: The cars in that set were: The #1 car, 718 RSK, 356 Speedster, 550 Spyder and the Boxster

What the dealer told you back then was not true. They (PORSCHE) made 1000 sets and they were all numbered and sold to whoever wanted them.
That particular dealership probably only ordered and BOUGHT ONE.... for the dealerships owner!!! LOL!!!
Robert alone bought at least a dozen complete sets to resell at shows. Then he bought a whole bunch of 718 RSK from a dealership in So. Cal. that decided to break up the sets to sell the models individually. He also bought 10 Speedster from the dealership on the East Coast (I forget where) that were selling them for $5.00 each, but then Robert already told you about those.....

Are you interested in Collecting Speedster's only?
Thanks for your reply. I have a number of 911's, 356's and other makes in my small model car collection. I think I have all the Porsches I want for now. BTW, since the Speedster I bought came without a cardboard box, I don't know the Porsche part #. Could you give me the #? Also, do you recall the year in which the set was released? Many thanks again.

Quick Reply: Speedster 1:43 Scale Model