Sponsored by:

356 Coach Builders Badge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 AM
retiredrobert2023
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 356 Coach Builders Badge?

I've been rummaging through my old collector car stuff, with an eye towards putting some of it up on eBay. Back in the 70s and 80s I collected Porsche automobiles, and my first car was a 1952 "Bent Windshield" Cabriolet! I had a number of other 356 Porsches as well.

Anyway, in about 1976 I was shown what I believed to be an old 356 speedster in the backwoods of Tennessee, near Knoxville. Someone had tried to weld a homemade hardtop on the car, to give it kind of a "fastback" look. It was really awful. I did not buy the car, but felt bad about the owner going to some lengths (and brush)! to show it to me. So, I offered to buy the coach builder's badge as kind of a token for his trouble showing me the car. This old badge (now I suspect a dealership emblem) is what I have run across along with a variety of other Porsche junk from another life.

In retrospect, the car may have been more unusual than the horrible top job revealed, but I am almost sure I ran the body number and discovered it to be a speedster. Anyway, the aluminum dealership badge says "OTTO GLOCKLER FRANKFURT/M" and at the bottom of the badge it says "PORSCHE." The mounting holes on the badge are exactly one inch on center.

I am aware that the Glockler works was involved with Porsche from a racing car standpoint, and that the Glockler dealership in Frankfurt was key to early Porsche racing history, especially with the 550. Could this old speedster have been sold by the Glockler dealership? Or, heaven forbid, could I have been looking at a horribly disfigured Spyder so many years ago?

I would appreciate you dropping me back a note with your opinion on the likely origin of the badge, given my story above. I want to appear half way knowledgeable in my description of this item, should I put it up for auction on eBay. Thank you very much. Aloha. Robert

(Posted for Robert by John D. Hi Robert!! )
Old 12-01-2004, 01:53 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts

I've pasted the pertinent information of your post (I couldn't put the entire message. It kept on kicking back as too big) on the 356 Registry's 356Talk. Let's see what the guys there have to say. I'll post any responses here for you.

JoAnne
Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Robert and John D.

Following is the first response I received about your question... all the was from Germany no less!

JoAnne

PS: I've also attached what I sent to 356Talk......

JoAnne,

As your friend described, Glöckler was one of the first and one of the largest Porsche 356 dealers in Germany. He also had quite a say and influence with regard to the design of early 356 cars.

The badge was mounted about one inch below the Reutter badge on cars that were sold or tuned by Glöckler.

I have reproductions of that badge for sale if anyone is interested.

Kind regards,

Anthony

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: JoAnne Trinkle
Gesendet: 01 December 2004 18:41
An: 356talk
Betreff: [356Talk] Aluminum dealership badge question......

Hi Guys (and Gals...)

I'm posting this question for a friend. I hope you can help..... He has run across an old dealership badge in his collection of Porsche stuff and would like to see if anyone can help him. Part of his message is listed below.
Thanks, JoAnne Trinkle
'55 356 Continental Outlaw "BadMax"
'65 356 C Euro Coupe "Helga"
'98 993 Cab. "Sascha"

................ the car may have been more unusual than the horrible top job revealed, but I am almost sure I ran the body number and discovered it to be a speedster. Anyway, the aluminum dealership badge says "OTTO GLOCKLER FRANKFURT/M" and at the bottom of the badge it says "PORSCHE." The mounting holes on the badge are exactly one inch on center. I am aware that the Glockler works was involved with Porsche from a racing car standpoint, and that the Glockler dealership in Frankfurt was key to early Porsche racing history, especially with the 550. Could this old speedster have been sold by the Glockler dealership? Or, heaven forbid, could I have been looking at a horribly disfigured Spyder so many years ago? I would appreciate you dropping me back a note with your opinion on the likely origin of the badge, given my story above. I want to appear half way knowledgeable in my description of this item, should I put it up for auction on eBay. Thank you very much. Aloha. Robert"
Old 12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robert and John D.,
Here is another reply.....
JoAnne

I am the caretaker of a documented glockler prepped racing speedster with
period racing pictures of the car with the glockler badge. you can also see
a picture of a Convertible D with the same badge in Maltby's 356 and RS
Sypders book, its in the chapter that talks about racing 356's.
in the past, i communicated with an old Glockler dealership employee and he
confirmed that Glockler affixed this badge on cars they sold from the
dealership. With so many cars sold by Glockler I don't think the original
badges are that rare. Anyhow the reproductions are exactly like the
originals..so it would be doubtful anyone would pay a big premium over a
repro badge.
here's a picture of the badge attached to the car.
perry
Seattle, WA

Old 12-01-2004, 04:36 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT 993
I've pasted the pertinent information of your post (I couldn't put the entire message. It kept on kicking back as too big) on the 356 Registry's 356Talk. Let's see what the guys there have to say. I'll post any responses here for you.

JoAnne
Hey JoAnne..!!

You are WONDERFUL!!! Thank you on behalf of Robert, who is trying to learn how to post a reply here (I'm certain he will soon!!)..

My thanks again!

John
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 AM
retiredrobert2023
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha, John D. and JoAnne. This is retiredrobert2023, the complete idiot that you all have so patiently been guiding through the Rennlist system. Mahalo much for all the help! Aloha from Volcano, Hawaii on Hawaii Island! Robert
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still another Reply:

"Does it look like the attached? It is also a Glockler badge. If you decide to 'move it' I would like to add it to my very modest badge
collection.
One of the original Glocklers was 'disassembled' here in Louisville, a
very very long time ago..."
Ken

Robert.... You are not an idiot. We were all new at this Rennlist stuff at one time or the other

John D... Thanks for the great compliment. I'm sure there are days when MY Robert doesn't find me so wonderful. I just like helping people on Rennlist whenever I can. I always say what goes around, comes around. I can't count how many times the guys on Rennlist have helped me and/or made me laugh hysterically. What a great place!

JoAnne

Quick Reply: 356 Coach Builders Badge?