Sponsored by:

Question for the outlaws and anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the outlaws and anyone else

I have been intching for a 356 and like what I have seen with the outlaw cars. Are most of these cars running 356 engines, has anyone converted over to a type IV engine. What type of HP are these cars making.

My dilemna is this. I can purchase a 64 356C, in fair running condition for about $16K but this car will need all new cosmetics, rust work, paint, interior, and all the mechanical stuff brakes, suspension, transmission, and rebuild of engine. As you all know this could easily be an additional 20K or more of work.

On the other hand, I can purchase a roller for about $3k, also do all the above work, and put in a type IV engine or modified 356. In total this could run also around $20k.

Which car would you choose.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:54 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Hi Max!
My '55 (also named Max) is running a Type IV motor. We have not dyno'ed it yet, but I would guess it's putting out about 175 or so. The car also weighs around 1700 lbs. so the hp/weight ratio is exciting. I can't give you specific info on the motor since it was built by someone else and he can't remember all the different things that he did to it. I can tell you that the car sat for 12 years in a private museum and when we got it we had several issues to address. One of the problems was that the old original GT gas tank was in terrible shape with pin holes throughout the bottom and we decided to go with a new Fuel Safe sytems instead of repairing the old gas tank.

Is the roller also a "C" car? If both cars need the same amount of restoration I would opt for the roller. If you are going to do all the work yourself, you are starting with a clean slate so to speak, and can save some of money.

Here are a few pics of Max...

SCRATCH THAT ITCH!!!!

Robert
Old 11-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Default Bad Max

You have an awesome ride there. Do you have a web site showing what was done on your car?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:06 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Max, Most of the 356 outlaw race cars are running 912 cases due to better oil cooling. Still at 1620cc though. A lot of your questions are dependent on the amount of work you plan to do yourself - good metal work, rust repair and engine rebuilds are the most difficult and the most expensive. If you plan to hire out the work I think you're underestimating the cost of building a nice outlaw (or restoring any 356 for that matter). The outlaws and race cars that come out of Emory's shop are $75-125k.

More info here
Old 11-28-2004, 03:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Max (SD)
You have an awesome ride there. Do you have a web site showing what was done on your car?
Thanks Max....
Sorry, No website. Max was built by Gary Emory about 13 years ago and we finished his re-do this past Summer just before the Porsche Parade in Texas (he came in 1st place in Class and Division in Full Concours).
R
Old 11-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Default How about this for a candidate?

http://www.356sales.com/d109main.html

I know what your saying is true Mark. I am just trying to convince myself that it will cost a lot less.

I am not looking to build a concourse vehicle. I would like a nice cruiser, weekend car and stay within a 40k budget. I hope this is possible.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Robert...

What a car! That's what i think of when I think of a perfect classic sports car from Porsche. I love the color combo and the shots in the snow really go with the car too, great work.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:21 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Max,
Bob Campbell is one of the best guys you can find anywhere. He represents all of his cars honestly and straight up.
If you have any inkling of building an Outlaw, this would definately be the car I would start with. Outlaws just look better in an A or Pre A car. Just my opinion, but B and C cars don't make great outlaws, good outlaws maybe, but not GREAT outlaws.
That is not a bad price either for an A.
Let us know what you decide!
R

PS ...Thanks Midnight!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree, A's and pre A's are the best looking 356's and make the nicest outlaws.

Max, have you driven a stock 356A or pre A? They are a blast to drive even without the hot rod stuff. You can buy a very nice A coupe in the low 30's. Check here too: http://www.356registry.org/Ads/MemberCarsFS.html
Old 11-28-2004, 06:00 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

id love a 356 outlaw.. but since i cant im slowly but surely making my 912 into one.

my plan is to go with a paint scheme similar to this one.. only keep my car burgandy but have the stripe down the middle be slate grey.. maybe even a darker shade of grey.

i would keep it glass windows, would like center fill gas tank, keep my driving lights, maybe add some cibie lamps to the hood... skid plate.. interior would be sparce, but functional. no roll bar.. i might change my mind but so far i dont think i will. i would have the interior gutted to bare bones,

here are some seat options..

motor will be built in the next year.. hoping to coax about 120-130 hp. will be built by tim beradelli in arlington va.

oh yes.. bursch (or custom) exhaust with option to swap out muffler or straight pipe when ever i please is mandatory
Old 11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

btw this is how she looks right now

heres one before talbot mirrors..

Old 11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Stratman
Racer

I've got a 63. It started as an S then I had the late Maestro massage it as he used to say. All the good stuff. 125hp at the rear wheels. It runs like a scalded dog. I should buy the higher gear so I don't turn 4rpm's at only 70 but it was 1500 for that one gear and I'd just had the tranny rebuilt before I knew it was going to turn those kind of rpm's with the low profile tires I have on it. So next time I get into it I'll do that. I love this car and in fact it is my daily driver. I've thoght about converting it to disc brakes but it stops on a dime as it is. I
I bought my car in 91 for 7k. I did the full resto in and out. My suggestion unless you have patience to spare and 3X more than you think it will cost buy one complete.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Default Database for further research

What is the best source(s) for researching outlaw cars? I see some have roll cages, speedster seats, highly modified engines the list goes on. I would love to look at as many outlaws as possible, so I may get inspiration and ideas for putting one together. Where should one look on the net, or books etc.?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:53 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good idea, maybe I should write a book on the Emory Outlaws!

As I understand it Gary Emory's dad Niel was one of the top custom hot rod builders in U.S. back in the 50's. Gary started with a Porsche dealership in the parts dept. in the 60's. He started hot rodding 356's and coined the 'outlaw' name because it was so opposite the restoration purists. Niel just passed away last month.

Check out their web site: www.356shop.com
Old 11-28-2004, 07:58 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gary Emory sorta started the 356 Outlaw "movement" probably because his Dad was a Hot Rod guy from the 50s, and Gary and Rod couldn't help but inherit the fever.
Check out a few at their website www.partsobsolete.com/outlaws.htm
I don't know of any books on the subject of 356 Outlaws, but it would make a great read IMO!!!

Quick Reply: Question for the outlaws and anyone else