Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:40 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver 356

Hey all,

I'm considering getting a 356 Coupe for a driver. I've read up a little on the model at 356registry.org and a few posts here, so I'm not completely ignorant, but I have a LOT more to learn.

I really, REALLY like the pre-A and A's. But they seem to be very difficult to find, which means they are going get a premium, right? There is a '64 C listed in the pca.org classifieds, but it looks like it will need a LOT of work. I was thinking I could pick up something like that and do a little here and there to bring it up to par. But I've seen a lot of concern for rust here (and that car certainly has rust). How big of a concern is it? Is it that difficult to fix?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 356 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey Mike,
I also really, REALLY like preA's and A's, but there is a big, BIG difference between a Pre A and a C. If you want a driver, the C sounds like it will work for you. Not that an early 356 won't, it's just that the C's are the most refined 356 Porsche produced. C cars have disc brakes, more power, better suspension and steering etc. An earlier car can be "fixed up" with all of these things though. A's and pre A's are harder to find because, one....they made fewer of them and many didn't survive the times when they were just an old Porsche and not worth that much money. Or they weren't worth spending the money to repair them. The '70s saw alot of 356s go to the junkyard. two.....Porsche produced alot more B's and C's, so there are more around today.
There are several good books on buying, owning and reparing 356s. One is "Buying, Driving and Enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager. Another is "A Restorers Guide to Authenticity" by Brett Johnson. Alot of info on all the 356s and their differences in both of thes books.
As to rust, well another word for rust is "cancer". It will spread EVERYWHERE until there is not much left in the old cars (not just Porsches) And like just about everything else these days, it's not cheap or easy to fix. Alot of 356s have had the entire pan (underside) replaced because of rust in the longitudinals. With this being said though, there are great 356s out there with little or no rust and will run forever and will be passed on to future generations.
There is nothing like driving a 356 down a twisty country road in the Fall!
Robert
Old 11-27-2004, 07:30 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Robert.

You brought up and interesting thought. Is it possible, and has anyone, retro-fitted some of the earlier parts on a later 356? Is this considered "backdating"?

Also, I am new to this sort of car search. Where are the best places to look for a car like this?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:33 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh and another thing. I've been assuming that if I do not find a "prestine" car or one with a pedigree it will not be taboo to "customize" the car to my liking? Is this true, or should I be thinking: keep the car as original and authentic as possible?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:58 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,
Customizing a 356 is pretty much open to your imagination (and bank account).
But be aware that if you "frankenstein" a 356 with wide fender flares, turbo whale tail and high-back Recarro seats, you won't have too many friends in the 356 club. Anything done in good taste is usually accepted. There are 356 'PURISTS' that feel very strongly that NOTHING should be done to the car except repair or replace what the car came with from the factory. However this year at the 356 Registry East Coast Holiday, where over 260 356s were registered, and OUTLAW won "BEST OF SHOW" !!!! This has never happened before, and would never even been dreamed of happening just a short time ago. Outlaws were tolerated, but were always put out in the back of the Concours area. Sorta like they didn't really matter to anyone. HA!
Outlaws can run from mild to wild. Taking the bumpers off and putting 911 Fuchs wheels on qualifies a 356 as mild. Wild takes a little more effort. Big motor, stinger exhaust, non-traditional paint job etc.
But back to finding a car......I see you are in San Diego, (PORSCHE COUNTRY)! An hour or so north in Costa Meas is European Collectibles www.europeancollectibles.com They specialize in 356s and have everything from restorable beaters to concours level beauties.
But right there in SD are some great 356 gurus. Give Chris Stavros a call at 619.223.8887 He is known for having or being able to locate really nice 356s.
If you don't belong already, join PCA. San Diego region is one of the biggest and best in the country. And join 356 Registry www.356registry.org You don't have to own a 356 to join and it is a great source of info from the most knowledgeable people you can find anywhere.
Good Luck
Robert
Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

PS: I agree with all of the above on As vs Cs... Having owned both though, I gotta say that if you lust after an A, get an A and save yourself time ;-) You can always find one that has a later engine (in fact they are cheaper since less original), and it's fairly easy to retrofit a 65 steering box. Then the only issue remains the transmission and that's not that big a deal..

I currently own a 57A with a big bore 912 negine and this thing flies compared to my C. The brakes while drums are about the same (not as fade free but I am not driving alpine roads daily), the shifting is funnier as you have to reach under the dash to get third. Once my steering box is replaced it'll be a very similar experience to a later car. But it looks nicer to me...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:17 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you both for the input. I don't have anything else ask at the moment. But I will be poking my head in and lurking around every once-in-a-while.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike...I'd have three advices that will certainly lead to a very good 356 experience:
01: Become a 356Registry member at www.356registry.org
02: Register to the 356Registry "Talklist" over the Internet
03: Buy Jim Schrager's book "Buying, driving and enjoying the Porsche 356"
In a couple of months you'll be able to really get "The Tubs"...
Take care...
Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pedro, I'm on the list.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:54 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I really appreciate all the input I have received on this matter. I have the books mentioned on order and am lurking around here and other places reading and trying to absorb info. I say that so you know that I am NOT totally disregarding all the advice. However! There I am cruising around the 'net and run across this.

http://www.europeancollectables.com/..._inv_id=po1381

Now I know this is EXACTLY what I should NOT be considering. But I look at this car and I can't help but feel bad for it. I mean someone has to pick it up, right? If not, then it will end up in the bone yard and that would be a complete shame! Wouldn't it? I mean there are so few of these left anyway, letting one rot away would be a loss to all of us.

Maybe it's 'cause it's Christmas and I am feeling all warm and emotional. I should wait until after the first of the year when I am back to being cold and callous.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,
I've been keeping an eye on this car too. Actually, I keep an eye on all their cars on a daily basis. I came really close to buying the Stone Grey Convertible D a couple weeks ago, but passed on it. Now I'm being tempted by the 58 Speedster!
That A would definately be a challenge to restore, but 7500 is a pretty good price. You might offer them less and see what happens.

R
Old 12-24-2004, 03:43 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"But I look at this car and I can't help but feel bad for it. I mean someone has to pick it up, right? If not, then it will end up in the bone yard and that would be a complete shame! Wouldn't it? I mean there are so few of these left anyway, letting one rot away would be a loss to all of us."

Mike, Leave the saving of old bathtubs to the Jerry Seinfelds of the world. He can afford to turn a VIN plate into a showpiece - or a vintage racer. And Euro Collect only crushes cars by accident. Take your time & enjoy the 356 education & shopping process. There is a tremnedous ampunt of info available, + you should drive examples of an A, B & C (at least) - there is amazing variation among the 356 series. Be patient & enjoy to rides!
Old 12-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Mike...take your time...cook it a little bit...rush is your enemy! When you find a good car, try to inspect yourself as each 356 is different from each other and that's why you need to test-drive and "communicate" with the Old German...you have to feel the car! Stay tuned to the 356talklist and post a message looking for a reliable driver in decent condition blah blah blah...the best source to get a good 356 is from another enthusiast.
Take care and merry Christmas...

Quick Reply: Driver 356