Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Genuine 356 Speedster Prices (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine 356 Speedster Prices (USA)

Dear all

I have been running a very nice 356 Speedster Replica for the last 2 years here in Switzerland but I have always had an ambition to own the real thing.

European prices are way out of hand so I was wondering if anyone can advise me how much a USA car in good (not pristine) condition would cost?

I have a trip to Florida already booked for non-car reasons in early November and I would welcome any opportunity to combine this with a chance to view examples, although I think I had read previously that California is usually better for cars that are in the best overall (non-rust) condition.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Mike,
I was seriously looking for a Speedster last year and I saw prices going up and up almost monthly. I decided it was because the 50th Anniversary was this past June in Monterey, CA. And everyone wanted a Speedster to take to the BIG celebration. I also thought that after the BIG celebration was over we might see prices drop some. So far........NOT A PENNY!!! I am looking at one now, a 57, Ivory with tan top and interior. Not a Concours winner, but a very nice car. Asking price....$105,000.00. There is another one that is pretty rough needing complete restoration, paint, interior, It has an incorrect 912 motor, rust issues etc. etc. Asking price.....$60,000. Sixty grand and would need easily 30+ more to make it a decent car. Are you getting the picture???
There are lots of 356s in So Cal, but you should find some to look at in Florida.

Good luck and have a great trip,
Robert
Old 10-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts
Default $60K Min

I've never seen a nice one under 60K... 50 will get you one that needs work or has the wrong engine or something....

Thank goodness I don't like convertibles !!!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Robert

thanks for throwing the ice-cold bucket of water over me to bring me back to my senses - WOW!

I cannot believe those prices. I guess the replica may see a few more summers with me!.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
sleddog
Instructor

here is one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6428
Old 10-19-2004, 07:53 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

That one on Ebay was at the 356 East Coast Holiday last year in Asheville. I parked next to it in the hotel lot. It looked pretty good except it looked like the passenger door was a different shade of silver, just slightly darker than the rest of the car. A very nice lady had just bought the car and this was the first time they had brought it to an event. That's her and her daughter in one of the pics. I don't know what she paid for it, but I'm sure the reserve will be 70, maybe 75 grand. Well see...........

Robert
Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut-n-pasted from 356talk listserv...

Edit - no affiliation, don't know the cars or the seller's from the proverbial hole in the ground, have no $$ interest in these cars, etc. I've removed the contact info for the sake of the sellers' privacy... PM me if you want it. And of the 3, the '60 cab looks most interesting imho ...

1957 356A Speedster #83327, silver gray/blk, good solid driver recently put
back together after a long time off the road, stock configuration except
nerf bar bumpers, no carpets, reblt 912 motor, have stock bumpers,no clue on
miles. $60K OBO

1960 356B Cab # 154260 1 owner, good cond. , always garaged, well maintained
by trained mechanics for last 30 years, driven regularly, off white
repainted, orig. top &tonneau cover, no rust, orig. black leather int. $32K

1962 356B Coupe #210539, eng 608513, immac maint & garage kept, photos avail
by email, gray/red, $30K. All reasonable offers considered.

Last edited by Steve Jensen; 10-19-2004 at 09:31 PM. Reason: privacy...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

I think you can find a very nice car with no major issues for 55-70, not from dealer though..they need to run a business and keep their family in shoe leather.
That 105k car mentioned in the previous post should be a high end concourse car, put it's probably just a fishing expedition price. It takes perserverence, networking and quick cash to get one at a reasonable price...not just making a phone call to your favorite dealer. I stumble on one or two every year that are good values, but I spend a LOT of time networking.

A good friend of mine just aquired a 1955, S/N 80496. He was going to keep it, but decide otherwise.
I don't have all the details but it has good paint, runs strong with a later engine (original engine location is known) It needs a little interior work to be very nice. It's black. it's a California car, not rusty!--he'd sell it tonight for mid 60's. My friend is a well known 356 expert so he would not buy it unless it was a good car....I was going to snap it up myself, but just look at my signature....you think I want a divorce?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
kpr
Intermediate

Talking

dump her - buy the speedster.

Quick Reply: Genuine 356 Speedster Prices (USA)