Sponsored by:

356's and rainy weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Vandenberghe Ch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 356's and rainy weather

I'm planning to sell my 964 3.3 Turbo for a 356A and a 914 2.0.
The only problem(rust,water leaking,freezing temp., ...) is that I will drive my 356 a lot (almost every day) and that I live in a very rainy country (Belgium).
Should I do this or should I keep my 964?

Thanks,
Christophe
Old 07-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Chirstophe,
I drove my 356 daily for about 6 months. It was a C, more advanced than an A for daily use (I don't mean to put the A down, I sold my C for an A not long ago). In my opinion, it's not that great an idea - sorry if I offend the purists, but after 6 months I wanted a modern car to go to work. I mean, the car is fun to drive and all, but a regular A is kinda gutless for modern traffic, is hard to see at night (low and weak lights), not much better during the day: I was almost invisible to some drivers.. Then the car needs maintenance every 1500 mi (front axle grease, might as well change the oil and do the valves every other time) and might be more "temperamental" since it is after all an old car and everyday use might cause breakdowns sooner than you want... While all this wrenching is fun on a toy car, and I love my 356, all that work and quirks become quickly irritating on a daily driver due to increased frequency. Then in your case, Belgium, you'll deal with a slow set of wipers, no good defog or average defrost, and in my case (was california) lack of A/C or the car not liking stop and go traffic on hot days as much as modern cars...

That said I really dislike 964s, so I'd say go for it ;-) sorry, could not resist, actually the turbo is the only 964 I like ;-) Or you could get a 993, it's agreat everyday car !!! I love my 356 as a twice a week driver ;-)
Old 07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Ditto.......Very well said Greg. Even the comments on the 964.

R
Old 07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used my 356 C coupe as a daily driver for a year or so. Greg's comments on the maintainence and fixing is spot on. My commute is either all back roads or interstate, about 19 miles, with less than 5 stop lights no matter which route I take.

You can do it, and if you do I'd recommend investing in Rain-X (or equivalent) for all the windows, an electric fan (large computer fan may work well) of some sort, and a few cloth diapers in the glove box. Also, if you end up running at low speeds with wipers and lights on, I'd put the battery on a trickle charger/maintainer to keep it fully charged.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

my 356 is used as a pseudo daily driver - but i also have a truck to get to work when the weather is bad or i need to carry people or stuff to work.
as mentioned above the maintiance can be a bit extreme when compaired to a modern car.
if you love 356's you may not mind the trade offs - but if your on the fence you will hate it after the initial cooless wears off.
best of both worlds would be to have a 964 and a 356 and drive them both. (BTW that is what i was doing b/f my off) and will be diong that again once my 964 cup returns from the body shop.
if you do - you will want to think about a 12v conversion (lights)and depending on the year of the car a wiper motor upgrade (C only) - get an optima battery regardless, and get an LED 3rd brake light + if you do 12v you can use some of the new super bright LED bulbs for the tail lights. 356's need all the help they can get in the lighting department.
3 point seatbelts are a must - but other than that it is a pretty good comutter car - but be prepared to total restoration in 5-10 years - rust likes our cars
for comparision i live 5 miles from work - and drive the 356 3-4/days a week - & in the winter (oct-may) it rains 5 out of 7 days (seattle weather - drizzle)
the euro heater system works the best and keeps the cabin nice and toasty in the winter and pretty hot in the summer - if you wear a suit to work i'd get something with A/C
Old 07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Johan K
Instructor

964s are really great cars! I would not mind having a 356 A 1600 S, or even better a Carrera GS, as a complement though (dreaming...).
Old 08-22-2004, 09:33 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help but jump on the mini band-wagon of the past couple of posts. In my opinion the 964 is the best Porsche bargain in feel, sound, modern performance and looks relative to price. I would love to keep my 964 and get an older 356. In fact, since I couldn't swing it I did this with the ugly distant stepchild to the 356, the VW But after driving the VW, I'd say it's tough to drive a car like this every day. Keep in mind, my VW is maybe a little heavier than the porsche, but doesn't have much less HP- it has 48 net HP, and prior to the conversion to net ratings, it was rated at about 60 hp gross (comparable to the 356a)- it's fine around town and up to about 45-50, but then the foot goes to the floor to merge and get up to highway speeds.....one of the more challenging/fun/scary things (depending on your personality type) is merging onto a highway with a slight incline and seeing an 18-wheeler truck come barreling up your butt

My recommendation: Go for the 356, just get something else for everyday.

-Andrew
Old 08-22-2004, 01:37 PM
oldtimer
Racer

I started with a 356B S90 and ran it every day in a cold wet country ( NW of England ) for 2 years before it fell apart with rust. Other main problems were with plugs oiling up in town traffic, relatively weak drum brakes and the 6v electrics - weak lights and you soon exhaust battery capacity . If you are in love with them and have to have one, use it as occasional car and pay attention to rust.
I notice you want a 914/6 as well....whats the story there ? Having 2 Porsches is quirky enough , but planning on a 30+ year old 2 seater and a 45 year old underpowered 2+2 daily driver is surreal !
Finally the non turbo 964s are a relative bargain as they are out of favour and will soak up high mileage. The 993 is not so cost effective but again a tough car that can be used everyday.

Quick Reply: 356's and rainy weather