Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:58 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default more bad news :(

ive got some terrable news.. i need a new battery

but on the bright side, after swapping out the battery on my beater, my top end rebuild was a sucess.. SHES ALIVE... ALIVE! MUAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA..

and boy does she run alot smoother, and sound alot nicer!

thanks for all your help and suggestions guys!!!

oh.. and my new lights are on too!

now i just need to replace the mirror i broke, and i can drive up to my mechanics shop to have the carbs balanced.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have the luxury of 12 volts, but I'd still recommend getting an Optima. First 3 days I had mine in the 356, I drained it completely (left lights on) - a jump and 30 minute drive home, and all was (and continues to be) well.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

What ? You are capable of rebuilding the top end of the engine but cannot sync the carbs ? Damn, I am going about this learning business the wrong way ! ;-) Wish I had that kind of problem - I can't even rebuild my lawnmower!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Harry, I agree with Steve. If you've got to buy a battery, go a little extra for the Optima. I'm putting one in Max with a billet aluminum frame. I think it will look pretty good next to the custom billet oil cooler and the new FuelSafe tank.

BTW ....If you haven't ventured over on the 993 board the past couple of days, we posted pics of our new 'kid'. We sold the Cayenne S and bought a 98 993 Cab. Go to 993 board and look for 'Mother Superiors New Ride'.....

Show us some pics of your new lights whern you get a chance.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:46 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

well. my next pay check comes when im in north carolina this friday (and cant pick it up or cash it. i dont have direct deposit).. . since i blew a load of cash on the engine and i need every cent i have left for gas food, and hotel in NC, i will have to pass on the optima for now.

i was planning on getting an optima anyways, since i replaced the front pan. in the mean time i bought a $35 batterey to get me by for a week.
when i get back im putting the optima in.

the engine cleaned up nicely. didnt get to pain the fan shroud or the oil canister (which i really regret!). but the rest looks good. NO OIL LEAKS!!!!!!!

bretts bursch fits nicely, but the oil that was dried on it created a tineysmoke screan that worried me til i noticed it was just burnning the dried up oil. no exhaust leaks too..

skirmants gaskets rock!!!! also, cleaned every inch of the engine.. recharged air cleaners, cleaned carbs and manifolds, new cap, new rotor, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new fuel filter.. used heavy duty viton seals and gaskets in the rebuild.. are bad ***!!!!

i read about her car the other day, when taking a quick peak.. i was too busy since saturday at noon to respond.. or too tired.. 4 hours sleep in the last 2 days, between the engine, work and everything else.

what a beautiful cab! that really blew me away. glad to hear you have an all aircooled fleet again. (btw.. you guys go through porsches faster than i go through valve springs.. and thats sayion somthin )

congrats on an amazing car!

now.. the lights.. dig this man..

in a month.. talbot mirrors.. then mein 912 will really be the bee's knees!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:38 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Greg D.
What ? You are capable of rebuilding the top end of the engine but cannot sync the carbs ? Damn, I am going about this learning business the wrong way ! ;-) Wish I had that kind of problem - I can't even rebuild my lawnmower!
well.. i dont have the propper tool. my dad has a unasyn which can get you in the ball park, but i dont have a syncromiter. plus, i want these babies balanced perfectly, so that the motor will just sing.

also i want him to double check my timing, he has a digital timing light i have an old strobe.. just wanna be dead on. on top of that, have him look her over a bit. nothin major, just a check up/once over at the doctors before a 100+ mile trip to NC to break her in. i wont be flogging her around like i would have liked to (want to break her in, not break her), but still, i'll be with some fellow 912ers talkin cars, driving, and having a good time.

Quick Reply: more bad news :(