Sponsored by:

where to find 356's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 03:52 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Default where to find 356's for sale?

I don't have much knoledge of the 356 world, but as a favor I have been asked to try and find some possible canidates for a family friend to buy. He had a 356 back in the day and has had 2nd thoughts after selling it. So now because i'm known as a porsche nut (which is a fair) I have been given the task of tracking down a 356.

I know where I would look for 911's, and 944's, but am clueless when it comes to the 356's.

Any good places to start looking?

I have been looking through hemmings, the local paper, and ebay thus far, but any input would be appreciated.

BTW, we are trying to find a 356 Coupe to be an a driver, it does not have be be a perfect example, but one that does run well.......
Old 05-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

356 registry - webpage (356registry.org)
Autotrader.com
Hemmings.com

But you'd better educate yourself a bit before you look. It's easy to buy a crappy car if you don't know what you're doing...
Old 05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just doing the initial leg work as a favor, but the buying, inspecting, etc, etc, would be left up to the more knoledgeable party.

I agree, if I was buying a car I would be wanting a lot more of an education, I learned the hard way on my first 951 that not asking the right questions can be expensive.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Billy W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian
You can also check with Jim Gordon in the Charlotte PCA he has a 356 C that he restored, so he might know where to look for a good driver. He only shows up at the meetings every now and then but his website is http://home.carolina.rr.com/a356c or you can do a search for Jim and Libby's 356.
Billy
Old 05-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

European Collectables tend to have lots for sale....

Also, do you know what type of 356 he wants? Pre-A, A, B, C, open (speedster, cab, roadster, conv d) or coupe? Does he want a project? Care about originality ?
Old 05-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Agreed about EC...and many many others.. Just bear in mind they are car salesmen and more expensive...

If you know what to look for, you can save $$$ buying from a private party. For instance I bought my 356A a few months back for about $6000 less than a similar condition one offered by these vendors, simply by buying from a private party and doing some travelling... ;-)

Things to look for generally speaking are matching numbers (chassis, parts and engine)... Oil leaks, good engine temperatures, door and hood gaps consistency, and RUST.... Mostly in door bottoms and longitudinals. Then depending on model years you get into year-specific issues. Ask away on this board, there are lots of knowledgeable people, though in fairness the 356registry list is way more active..

Greg
Old 05-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European Collectibles are a good group but they are expensive. Try local 356 shops. I think Randall Yow is down in NC or SC. These guys usually get word pretty early if a car is going to be for sale. Sign up for 356 registry and get the magazine. If you like a car listed, call fast and have an expert check it out for you. Good luck.
Tony
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Randall Yow is in Greensboro, NC. His website is: www.foreigncoachworks.com
Randall always has 356's listed for sale along with a plethora of other european cars. Don't know what he has in inventory now as it is always changing.

You can also try Bob Campbell's 356 Sales at: www.356sales.com
When he has cars in stock they range from inexpensive to top dollar. Bob is in California, but if you find a 356 you really like it is worth it to have it transported. That is what we did. We found one at European Collectables while on vacation in February and had it shipped.

I agree with Greg D. and Tony, join the 356 registry, you do not have to have a 356 to belong to the club. You will learn a bunch about 356's and probably can find one via private sale for a good price from a club member.

One more thing... beware of Ebay. I had two friends who bought Porsche's on eBay. Both turned out to be BIG lemons. PPI's are very important when purchasing any Porsche, especially an old one!

JoAnne

Quick Reply: where to find 356's for sale?