356 overall length and width

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 356 overall length and width

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out whether I can do a tandem parking set up in my garage. I've searched the Registry for the length and width of A, B and Cs w/ no success.

Does anyone have the overall length or width of these cars (or any of them), or can you direct me to a web resource?

Thanks!

Craig
Old 02-07-2004, 07:33 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Hi Craig...

Our '65 356C is: 13 feet long by 5 foot 4 inches wide. There is really no difference between an A, B or a C, maybe an inch at the most.

Hope this helps....

What are you looking for?
Old 02-08-2004, 02:00 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

RJT 993,

Thanks for the info!

I'm craaaaazy about these cars, and it seems I spend time each day looking at them on the web. I'd like a '64 or '65 SC sun roof coupe or cab., in restored condition, but the costs of these, and '62,'63 B S90's are so much. So, I'm saving up, and dreaming.

I've found that the best examples in Calif. seem to be at European Collectibles in Costa Mesa, and I visited them a year ago. Many beautiful, well preserved or restored vehicles. I've only seen a few ads from private parties.

How long have you owned yours? Any recommendations other than EC out west?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 02-08-2004, 01:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Craig....

European Collectables probably has the largest gathering of 356's for sale anywhere that we know of. Othe people that we know that sell 356's are:

Bob Campbell at 356Sales www.356sales.com and
Randall Yow at: www.foreigncoachworks.com

Probably your best bet is to join the 356 Registry. You don't have to own a car to join, and it is a great source to find your dream 356. They are at:
www.356registry.org

We are probably going to be selling our 1965 Euro C Coupe in the near future. Here's a few pictures:

Old 02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Robert,

Thanks for the info. I visit all those sites regularly. I've been a Registry member for about 5 years now, and have learned alot.

Beautiful coupe. What is a Euro C? Is it a rarer C than a normal C? How long have you owned it? Do you think that an SC would be a wiser purchase than a C? I suppose that a C engine could be goosed up to 95 hp, but I wonder if that would impact value?

Questions, questions. If you have time, I would love to get your feedback.

Thanks!

Craig
Old 02-08-2004, 11:34 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Craig,
Lets see if I can answer your questions.....
There is a difference between a Euro C and a US spec C. A Euro car means it was originally sold in Europe, not the US. Ours was bought by a guy in the Air Force in Germany in 1965. He drove it around for two years and then brought it to the States. He sold it to the second owner in 1978, and we are the third owners, buying it 1998.
Back to the differences.......A Euro car has the rear reflectors under the rear bumper, a US spec car has the reflectors above the bumper. A Euro car has a completely different heater system. You can see this in the above pic, the large orange hose is the most obvious difference. Most 356ers think the Euro heating system is superior to the US version. Maybe because the winters can be pretty harsh in Germany?
The Euro spec cars are rarer than the cars that were directly imported to the US. because alot of Euro cars stayed in Europe.
As far as the C versus SC......Only difference is the engine. A large percentage of Cs (ours included) were 'bumped' up when time came to rebuild. The cost of original Mahle p&c's are restrictive to some people, so they opted for the 1720 big bore kit. Less money, more HP!! No brainer.
Ours was completely rebuilt, balanced and BP'd last Summer. It also has some really rare options. It is a factory 12 volt car, standard was 6 volt and 12 was an option. It also has one of the rarest options, an inside/outside air temp gauge mounted above the radio next to the clock. Within the Registry there are only 3 or 4 cars that we know of that came from the factory with this option. (only Euro cars) You could have this gauge installed at the Dealership, but it was always installed over by the grab handle. It has the original KM speedo, as well as the Euro AM/FM/ShortWave radio that still works!
Please feel free to ask questions, this is what Rennlist is all about!

Quick Reply: 356 overall length and width