Help Solve the Mystery of 356 B

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Winton Porter
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Solve the Mystery of 356 B

Mystery Tale of Two 1961 Orphaned Porsche Parts.. by Winton Porter

“There is no substitute...than a Porsche with no substitutes,” said Two Original Orphaned Porsche parts

These two fellows pictured above are orphans! Separated from their home over 20 years ago. These orphaned parts belong to a “Red 1961 556 B 1600 Super”. (will call him Mr. Red)

We know Mr. Red originally lived with an Italian fellow (will call him Mr. Joe).

Mr. Joe found Mr. Red in Canada... brought him home to Michigan... they had several great years together... and during that time Mr. Joe wanted a different “steering wheel” and also decided to change out the MPH/ODO gauge as well... so he did.

Mr. Joe tucked these little fellows aside in a closet filled with his children’s old orphaned toys.... and never really held them again.

One day a fellow whose name sounds like “Tube Again”... mysteriously appeared in a grocery parking lot... in small Michigan town outside of Ada...It’s my understanding Mr. Tube Again was a personal accountant.. for opulent family who owned a company called Amway.

For some reason.... Mr. Tube Again wanted Mr. Red ... “Had to have Mr. Red!” (so I’m told) - but Mr. Joe didn’t really want to part with his old friend... this only made Mr. Tube Again want Mr. Red more... as if Mr. Red was the missing penny on one of his balance sheets. He was pencil sharp persistent.

And... eventually... Mr. Tube Again introduced Mr. Joe... to enough Mr. Green$ that old Joe gave in to the generous offer of about $38K (a lot for that car 20 years ago... “so they say”)

Mr. Tube Again never thought to ask for the original steering wheel or the original
gauge. Mr. Joe kept the orphaned parts tucked away... time passed and Mr. Joe grew older and after many years ... Joe and his wife wanted to return back to Italy and enjoy a more simplified life.. filled with friends, laughter, pasta, wine and cheese.

So... Joe and his wife ... sold their expensive house, nice cars, collection of antiques and dropped the country club membership ... they have now settled in a small town on Lake Como... in Italy.

Before leaving... I spent several hours with Joe & his wife... hearing there many wonderful stories.

“And.... of course their were Porsche stories.”

Over my many years I have learned about “car people”...

“Now...a car lover often lights up when they can talk about cars... but when a “Porsche LOVER” get’s a chance to talk about “Porsche”... you better grab some damn dark shades ... because they are going to light up the sun... might want take seat too... unless the car is within walking distance... therefore, I suggest you remain standing... because there is a good chance you’re about to get a one hour tour of 147.5 inches +\~ (3700 mm) of well painted metal muscle.

I remained seated... as Mr. Joe sat on his old kitchen chair and held that orphaned steering wheel in his hand and drove me around for little while ... telling stories... of trips down 101, A1A and his first drive in old RED along 401 out of Canada. I saw tears well up in the old mans eyes... or maybe it was from the winds blowing in our faces that day as he drove his imaginary Porsche through bygone days.

After few hours our trip ended... and he let me off by the kitchen door. But before he left we made a trade... and I ended up with these orphaned parts from the old ‘61 556 B.

As I drove home that night....with the orphaned parts running shotgun beside me... I reflected on my time with Mr. Joe. I came to realize... that I needed to get these original orphaned parts back to Mr. Red.

So here I am... asking for your help “Porsche People” and if you made it this far into my story... maybe you be willing to help or maybe you know someone who can —- let’s get these fellows back home.

“There is no substitute...than a Porsche with no substitutes,” said two Orphaned Porsche parts.

Summary of “What I know”

* 1961 Red with Black Top 556 B Super 1600
* Buyers name sounds like “Tube Again”
* Buyer was and accountant in Ada, MI
* Car was sold in Michigan
* Mr. Joe (I have his real name) originally bought the car in Canada
* Mr. Joe owned the car somewhere between 1994-1998
* Highly likely that Mr. Tube Again no longer owns the car.
* Possible that Mr. Tube Again was a “shell buyer” for the car.

1961 356 B 1600 Super
Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Do some more searching for Jerry Lee Tubergen, an accountant who used to practice in Ada, MI. May have later moved to Grand Rapids and possibly later to Vero Beach, Fl.

EDIT: I kind of dig searching for stuff when I'm bored! I think Jerry is now CEO of RDV Corporation, 500 Grand Bank Building, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, Phone: 616-454-4654. RDV appears to be owned by the DeVos Foundation / DeVos family (Amway founder). He was a high level CPA previously with two of the then major "Big 8" accounting firms.

Please report back!

If you give up, send the parts to me for my 1960 356B!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 AM
Winton Porter
5th Gear

Default A Cabriolet of Information

Many thanks for the lead... WOW you accomplished in one day what has taken me the past three.... the original owner did not remember his first name ... and I know I butchered the spelling of the accountants name....you opened a huge door for getting these fellows back to the original car.

If you turn over anymore stones... please throw them my way. Going now to see if I can find an email.

Yes I will keep you posted ... on this mystery tale.

Last edited by Winton Porter; 07-16-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Winton Porter
5th Gear

On the first day...your clues lead me to the above. Still no contact ... but it appears that others are chasing this story on Instagram, Tweeter and others.... again thanks for your help.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Instructor

The steering wheel is for a 1962 and later car. Check the date stamp on the back of the speedometer. That may be for a different car also.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Winton Porter
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 89826
The steering wheel is for a 1962 and later car. Check the date stamp on the back of the speedometer. That may be for a different car also.

Here is the ODO — date stamp
Old 08-12-2018, 12:28 AM
Winton Porter
5th Gear

[QUOTE=Winton Porter;15209265]

Here is the ODO — date stamp
Where do the hide the date stamp on the steering wheel
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Instructor

No date stamp on the steering wheel. The shape of the spokes tells that is for a '62 to '65 car.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Based on the face plate of the speedometer, it looks like it is from an early 356C , most likely manufactured in late 1963.

Quick Reply: Help Solve the Mystery of 356 B