Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 991.2 - disappointed

Got my flame suit on.

Is it just me?

Test drove a carrera s today with sport exhaust. First time driving this much herald pdk gearbox. I was expecting a super smooth sharp shifting dual clutch set up well connected to the engine.

I was disappointed. Car lack low end torque, auto mode was busy doing lotta shifting to gain speed and it made a lot of rough noises not back up by serious oomph. There was some lag off the stop light.

I think the new technology with gearbox is great but it masks the lack of real grunt from the engine and replaces it with a lot of busy gear changes.

Perhaps I am a bit bias having gotten used to driving n/a v8 and v12's. I found even the older 964 and 993 with tiptronic had a purer drive. Maybe it is just me. No offense to anyone enjoy their new 991.2s.

Thinking of getting a 2009 997 turbo with tiptronic, any thoughts on that car?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:16 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

If you are a tiptronic guy then you will definitely hate PDK and I'm sure a 7MT isn't in the equation.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Did you drive it in manual mode or just roll around in auto mode? Did you let the car warm up and drive it aggressively?

Auto mode shifts early for fuel economy, particularly if you're not driving hard, and the PDK is quite lazy at lower speeds and/or when the car is warming up. Once you start driving hard, it all starts to make sense. But manual mode is a must in the PDK.

And if you think the tip is a better drive, you're were doing something wrong in the PDK. The PDK is light years better. One might prefer a manual over an automatic, but for an auto, the PDK is the best out there (other than PDK-S and other supercar type boxes).
Old 12-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Tjlees
Track Day

What mode did you have 991.2 in? Was the car run in?

For me the 997.1 tiptronic was not as good as the 997.2 PDK with the paddles. On non-sport mode I found the 997.2 PDK fairly lazy and continually trying to get the car to run at around 1000-1100 rpm. Only sport/sport+ sorted that and usually I would put it in manual mode to decide when I wanted to change (though on WOT and sport+, it may decide to drop down a cog)

For the 991.1/2 PDK in sport was fine - at least as good as the 997.2 and in manual mode the changes seemed to be quicker or more responsive.

On the NA V12V front, the lack of torque at the lower end made me select a 991.2 instead.

Probably go back and try a different more run in demonstrator?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:46 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianBond
Got my flame suit on.

Is it just me?

Test drove a carrera s today with sport exhaust. First time driving this much herald pdk gearbox. I was expecting a super smooth sharp shifting dual clutch set up well connected to the engine.

I was disappointed. Car lack low end torque, auto mode was busy doing lotta shifting to gain speed and it made a lot of rough noises not back up by serious oomph. There was some lag off the stop light.

I think the new technology with gearbox is great but it masks the lack of real grunt from the engine and replaces it with a lot of busy gear changes.

Perhaps I am a bit bias having gotten used to driving n/a v8 and v12's. I found even the older 964 and 993 with tiptronic had a purer drive. Maybe it is just me. No offense to anyone enjoy their new 991.2s.

Thinking of getting a 2009 997 turbo with tiptronic, any thoughts on that car?
It's true. A lot of the launch and foward thrust is attributed to the PDK gearbox. If you drive a 991.1 it's even worse. The Porsche though is the little engine that could. It's the underdog that always over achieves. It surely isn't the fastest car around but there is no better overall driving experience.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:15 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

ZL-1 or Z06 and put the extra money in your pocket!
Jim
Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

hi guys, i'm not saying the tiptronic is better than pdk.

i drove the normal mode, sport and sport plus.

normal mode the shift program was too economical, shift up to 5th gear by 45mph.

sport mode was a bit better. think overall the engine is lacking in oomph. i'm just not liking all these new smaller displacement engines with turbos.

a vette would surely be interesting. will look into the 997 turbo with tip again
Old 12-03-2016, 02:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You have to remember that Porsche is trying to keep the car reasonably attainable in as many countries as possible. In China and I believe several other countries now, the taxes on cars with engines larger than 3.0 liters skyrockets. While some can afford all of those extra taxes, it would cut back on the market Porsche could sell to if they made the engine larger. I doubt there is little coincidence that the new turbo engines are only 3 liters, but that isn't really my own idea, I saw it in an article somewhere.

So with only a 3 liter engine, even with a turbocharger, there is only going to be as much off-the-line torque as a large displacement V8 or V10 without some revs... unless you go to electric motors as a boost or even solely. I'd still take my 991 any day over a Corvette, and I've had 5 Corvettes and 3 Porsches to compare with.

So ultimately reasonable environmental concerns coupled with getting enough cars sold to be worthwhile to Porsche are driving what you observe. For now, I'll still take the song of a high-revving PSE over the faint hum of an electric despite the torque I'm missing out on. Maybe one day my mind will change about that, but not yet.

Last edited by StormRune; 12-03-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Clarified statement about displacement and torque.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I do not currently own a 991.2 but have driven 2 manuals and 3 PDK versions and they were nothing short of brilliant(especially in PDK) and I'm coming from a tuned V10 Audi R8. Not sure if the car was having a bad day or maybe the right mode was not selected? Between the countless seriously amazing reviews and articles to my own experiences I am scratching my head on this one..

My hunch is that with a tune, the new S models will have more torque than my R8.

Corvette?? I've had two-great cars, but the interiors are still not up to par with the Germans. Since that's where you spend 99% of your time when you own a nice ride you can have the corvette and the savings.

Last edited by mac10; 12-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

well, aren't you glad you took the test drive - now you know what you do not want
Old 12-03-2016, 04:18 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianBond
Got my flame suit on.

Is it just me?

You must have been driving a 996
Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Not going to flame anyone and I am biased since a own a 991.2 C2s, but your impressions seem strange. But to each his own! I never have liked big displacement engines and I really like the 3 liter twin turbo in my car. It is a very torquey engine for the displacement. This morning I was in sport plus mode coming out of a sharp turn accelerating onto a straight and the back end just cut loose big time. Caught me by surprise and the car was making some new noises as the traction control and who knows what else kicked in to gather it all back as I was steering into the slide. Yikes! Cool day and road maybe slightly damp. But yeah I have not had any problems with the power delivery and handling at all.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

That's a shame you didn't like it

There is a school of thought a loud exhaust makes a car fast of more enjoyable...I ordered my wife without sport exhaust...its engine feel the 997.2 has, incredible torque
Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL: You ordered your "wife without sport exhaust" !!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I didn't get any part of the post.

Quick Reply: Test drove 991.2 - disappointed