Notices

How not to drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How not to drive

I knew someone is going to have a bad day when the driver in front of me proceeded to turn right on to the curb lane of the main road, even though I can see another car is coming in the curb lane of the main road.

I also quickly realized that car with the right-of-way is an unmarked Halton Regional Police cruiser which had to decelerate quite rapidly to avoid a collision.

I thought maybe the cop car will just pull around to get by, but nope all the red and blue lights came on as he pulled the other car over.

Judging from 10 seconds behind the offending driver before we pulled up to the lights, this driver was indecisive and timid, maybe a little lost too.

I'm sure he or she was scared out his/her wits from this encounter, perhaps learning a good lesson.

Last edited by aviography; 04-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:01 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Just a wild *** guess. Right on a red?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
aviography
Drifting

Correct. Top of Third Line and Dundas.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Correct. Top of Third Line and Dundas.
Yesterday at that same intersection a lady in a Cadillac decided it was a good idea to put in reverse and back up on Dundas for the entrance way she missed. She got a good 10 second horn from me and then went around the corner instead.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 PM
1990944S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People sure can pull off some crazy moves ..like a woman being really upset that they ran out of hot chocolate at the Tim's drive thru window. So her reaction was to show them just how mad by putting her car in reverse and flooring it all the way back into me while I was calling in my order at the speaker column. That hot chocolate (she didn't get) cost her insurance $5,900. She did apologize.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:44 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It's getting to be a scary place out there.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Argon
Advanced

I saw some batsh!t crazy jostling in the fast lane on the QEW coming back from Niagara a few times yesterday afternoon - cars going along bumper-to-bumper at 120, veering into other lanes to get around each other etc. These weren't boy racer types either - just regular SUV family people.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
1990944S2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Argon
I saw some batsh!t crazy jostling in the fast lane on the QEW coming back from Niagara a few times yesterday afternoon - cars going along bumper-to-bumper at 120, veering into other lanes to get around each other etc. These weren't boy racer types either - just regular SUV family people.
Believe it! Sometimes I think "am I the only one who is noticing how vicious people are getting now?" 4 out of 5 days a week either driving to or from work somebody is riding a half car length off my bumper at 115 klms/hr on HWY 48 which admittedly is already 25 klms/hr over the limit. There is barely a single trip I can make without somebody trying to pass me so that they can cut in front and get onto a ramp ahead of me. Hey, that's another reason I need to get back into a Porsche.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it me or there's a lot of bad drives in GTA? I have seen some really crazy stuff in the road.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix
Is it me or there's a lot of bad drives in GTA? I have seen some really crazy stuff in the road.
Its not just you.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
gus5gus
Intermediate

No.........there seems to be lots of crazy stuff happening !
I find QEW ,Vineland to N.Falls and beyond, just plain dangerous at times. And as has been
pointed out the big SUV's seem among the worst offenders. I'm at the stage that I look
out for an escape route if I'm being tailgated. As when I had the 'vette, I know the C4S
will stop...but can they ??
Trouble is....this behaviour really spoils the drive.

Tony, welland
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM
aviography
Drifting

While it wasn't my intent with this thread to share bad driving stories, it is getting interesting, so have at it.

I had an interesting encounter last week, the young woman ahead of me at a red light was grooming her hair with both of her hands, light turned green, she was slow getting going, but still grooming her hair with BOTH hands while her car had moved 50 or 60 feet and continuing to accelerate, so I gave her a one-second honk, she put her hands on the steering wheel, looked at me in her rearview mirror, and took one hand off to groom her hair again.

By now I have had enough and the right lane opened up to the on-ramp to 403, so I moved over one lane to accelerate, she suddenly jerked her car partially into my lane as my car was just about parallel to her car.

I leaned on the horn and moved a few feet to the right to avoid impact, still took her a second to move back into her lane.

Still have no idea if she was playing chicken with me for honking her, or decided last minute to get on the ramp without realizing my car was already there.

Last edited by aviography; 04-14-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was behind a biker on Friday when he suddenly did a wheelie, then took off like a bat out of hell in between a long line of cars (it was 2 lanes of traffic each way, 4 lanes total), with his gf/wife along for the ride. All it took was for one car to switch lanes and they would have both been road kill. He was probably going 50-60 km/hr faster than everyone else so nobody would have seen him coming if they decided to switch lanes. Dumbass and soon to be Darwin award winner I'm sure.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I will be the first to admit that GTA drivers seem to be getting worse by the minute. But.... I have been in Southwest, Florida on vacation for a week now and there is no comparison.

The stuff I have seen down here is mind blowing and made worse by the fact that I am transporting my 22 month old around with all these clowns. It is downright scary the **** people pull down here.

I watched a guy make a u turn at an intersection at a red light from the right hand turn lane!!! He crossed 4 lanes of traffic to head back into the opposite direction, WTF! My wife and I were in shock. It wasn't some kid it was a middle aged man driving a SL500 coupe.

Best advise I ever got while learning to drive was always assume the other guy is going to screw up, it's not if it's when. Be safe out there!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no tolerance for each other on the roads anymore. Any act that another driver disapproves of is taken as deliberate provocation and met with and equally provocative salute from them.

My patience for imbeciles is being tested.

Quick Reply: How not to drive