Sponsored by:

Rev Matching vs. Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:22 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

It isn't a one thing or another.
You need to rev match when shifting so that the engine speed matches your wheel speed in gear.

Those of us who are old enough remember when Synchros were something that lasted about a year and so you had to learn to double clutch if you ever wanted to downshift. I had a 72 Alfa that gave up on its synchros quickly. But modern cars have these amazing transmissions that see to work for more than a year. Marvelous stuff. It amazes me that I can downshift without the double clutch. I do it to get into first while rolling but otherwise don't do it any more. Cool beans to do though

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
"Rev Matching" has become a widely used term in recent years and I could never figure out why we needed the term since we already had "double clutching."

Watching a Bondurant video the other day, I finally figured out that they're different.

3 Options for Downshifting

1. No technique downshift
Actions: Push in clutch pedal. Shift to lower gear. Let out clutch.
- Good for changes when you're going slowly. For example, you've slowed down for traffic, the engine and trans are already at near idle and you're going just fast enough that you don't want to shift into first. You can put it in second and just move on. Simple. Takes essentially no practice or training. (When I buy a used car with a manual transmission, the first thing I want to see is how the previous owner drives the car & trans.)
- Bad for most instances in that increases wear on synchros and the clutch. Can also jerk the rear end loose when you need the traction in a high-performance corner.

2. Rev Matching.
Action: Push in clutch pedal. Shift to lower gear. Blip the throttle to increase the engine rpms. Let out clutch.
- Good for high performance driving. Slightly faster than double clutching. Goal is to get the engine close the rpm's that it will be running when you let out the clutch. Reduces clutch wear. Makes a smoother transition to keep you from losing traction in the rear when you engage the clutch.
- Bad in that it has higher wear on syncros (because you have already shoved the stick into the lower gear before blipping the throttle).

3. Double Clutching
Actions: Push in clutch. Shift into neutral. Let out clutch. Blip the throttle to increase the engine and transmission to close to what it will be in the lower gear. Push in clutch. Shift to lower gear. Let out clutch.
- Good in that it reduces wear on both the syncros and the clutch. Makes a smoother engagement (like rev matching) to maintain traction. Will save you money over time with less servicing and wear on the transmission and clutch. There are older transmissions that require this. But all transmissions benefit from it.
- Bad - takes a little more practice to do it quickly and well. Takes a fraction of a second longer to do it than rev matching--realistically, only relevant to professional racers.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
It isn't a one thing or another.
You need to rev match when shifting so that the engine speed matches your wheel speed in gear.

Those of us who are old enough remember when Synchros were something that lasted about a year and so you had to learn to double clutch if you ever wanted to downshift. I had a 72 Alfa that gave up on its synchros quickly. But modern cars have these amazing transmissions that see to work for more than a year. Marvelous stuff. It amazes me that I can downshift without the double clutch. I do it to get into first while rolling but otherwise don't do it any more. Cool beans to do though
I had a 73 fiat with the same issues... for most.. this is where i developed my technique for making synchros last . It wasnt double clutching, it was dragging the clutch through the shift and bliping through neutral to spin up the lay shaft... if you havent tried it, give it a shot .. it does work and work well.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

FYI, Bondurant hammered us on heel/toe (rev matching) for the first two days of their 4 day Grand Prix school. The entire program is focused on car control through weight management and being able to rev match while downshifting is a key component of this. So I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the transmission, at least as far as their program is concerned.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I had a 73 fiat with the same issues... for most.. this is where i developed my technique for making synchros last . It wasnt double clutching, it was dragging the clutch through the shift and bliping through neutral to spin up the lay shaft... if you havent tried it, give it a shot .. it does work and work well.
This will increase clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel wear. It might work but I have never seen this technique taught or recommended.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
This will increase clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel wear. It might work but I have never seen this technique taught or recommended.
I guess in theory, this might be true, but in practice i can show you 10 years of racing and the part numbers can still be seen on my clutch discs when pulled off the car! so, very mimimal wear. And if you understand the force it takes to spin up just the layshaft and gears, you can see its VERY minimal.
try it sometime. it works for your skip shifts too.

Mark
Originally Posted by Slakker
FYI, Bondurant hammered us on heel/toe (rev matching) for the first two days of their 4 day Grand Prix school. The entire program is focused on car control through weight management and being able to rev match while downshifting is a key component of this. So I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the transmission, at least as far as their program is concerned.
many times in short term crash course schools they need to get to and through the basics. there is so much to cover,right. but in the end, most of us know that car preservation is big part of racing. (unless you have unlimited budgets , time and people to help) so, what im offering is the answer of how to make things last longer, AND accomplish the same task of matching revs to not upset the chassis when driving on the track . (two birds with one stone).
Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I guess in theory, this might be true, but in practice i can show you 10 years of racing and the part numbers can still be seen on my clutch discs when pulled off the car! so, very mimimal wear. And if you understand the force it takes to spin up just the layshaft and gears, you can see its VERY minimal.
try it sometime. it works for your skip shifts too.
One car and one person does not mean it will work for every car and every person......

For example, my clutch setup is very sensitive to slippage. It is not good for it. I use a 212mm four puck no spring clutch disc that is almost an on/off switch. The difference between significant grab and no grab is not very much and would be VERY hard to modulate as would be required for your technique to work..if it even could work...with my setup.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
One car and one person does not mean it will work for every car and every person......

For example, my clutch setup is very sensitive to slippage. It is not good for it. I use a 212mm four puck no spring clutch disc that is almost an on/off switch. The difference between significant grab and no grab is not very much and would be VERY hard to modulate as would be required for your technique to work..if it even could work...with my setup.
Thats a very valid point.. Ive done this with racing clutches but its not as easy, plus they were so easy to shift anyway, i couldnt tell if it was working. so, what i might do if i were you , because you dont need much clutch if any, to pull out of gear and through neutral, do the blip, then depress all the way for the final engagment. it's a technique thing for sure.. all happening very fast. It may or may not work. heck, you might even be doing it now and dont even know it. it's one of those things.
but, on any street car, even the ones with the on or off type of engagement, it works well.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot

2. Rev Matching.
Action: Push in clutch pedal. Shift to lower gear. Blip the throttle to increase the engine rpms. Let out clutch.
- Good for high performance driving. Slightly faster than double clutching. Goal is to get the engine close the rpm's that it will be running when you let out the clutch. Reduces clutch wear. Makes a smoother transition to keep you from losing traction in the rear when you engage the clutch.
- Bad in that it has higher wear on syncros (because you have already shoved the stick into the lower gear before blipping the throttle).
I don't feel like this is quite right. It's hard to gauge since at this point in my illustrious driving career the heel-toe blip downshift is automatic. But I think that I clutch/blip/shift to lower gear, clutch out vs clutch/shift to lower gear/blip, clutch out. If done at the right time it's almost all simultaneous so maybe it makes no difference.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I don't feel like this is quite right. It's hard to gauge since at this point in my illustrious driving career the heel-toe blip downshift is automatic. But I think that I clutch/blip/shift to lower gear, clutch out vs clutch/shift to lower gear/blip, clutch out. If done at the right time it's almost all simultaneous so maybe it makes no difference.
Exactly!

FWIW my sequence is:

1.Brake
2.Clutch in/Blip
3.Lower gear
4.Clutch out/Gas

1-1.5 sec total?

Doesn't everyone do that?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Exactly! FWIW my sequence is: 1.Brake 2.Clutch in/Blip 3.Lower gear 4.Clutch out/Gas 1-1.5 sec total? Doesn't everyone do that?
Is there a shift in weight when you release the clutch? If not then it sounds like you get the daily double.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly!

FWIW my sequence is:

1.Brake
2.Clutch in/Blip
3.Lower gear
4.Clutch out/Gas

1-1.5 sec total?

Doesn't everyone do that?
Yeah. It makes no real difference since on track it's not a disjointed motion. Symantics.

I'd say I start my blip as the lever passes through N. Closer to the incoming gear than the outgoing. On the street doing lazy h/t the blip is definitely toward the latter half of the motion.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Is there a shift in weight when you release the clutch? If not then it sounds like you get the daily double.
Originally Posted by noturavgm
Yeah. It makes no real difference since on track it's not a disjointed motion. Symantics.

I'd say I start my blip as the lever passes through N. Closer to the incoming gear than the outgoing. On the street doing lazy h/t the blip is definitely toward the latter half of the motion.
I'm not a pro nor a coach, right or wrong that is what I do and has worked well for me on all the DEs and races over the years.
I didn't have to rebuild any trannys, except the one on the 911 after 8 years of heavy track duties.......
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 PM
winders
Race Car

I'm not a pro nor a coach, right or wrong that is what I do and has worked well for me on all the DEs and races over the years.
I didn't have to rebuild any trannys, except the one on the 911 after 8 years of heavy track duties.......
Again, heel/toe does nothing to reduce transmission wear. You have to double de-clutch to reduce synchro wear.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

For me blip timing varies car to car, partly due to differences in throttle sensitivity and flywheel spin up and spin down
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For me blip timing varies car to car, partly due to differences in throttle sensitivity and flywheel spin up and spin down
This is so tru. I have two 996 cups cars and one has a Sachs OEM clutch and the other has a Tilton clutch which has a larger disc. The blip timing required are very different between the two.

Quick Reply: Rev Matching vs. Double Clutching