Sponsored by:

Bernie has yet another crazy idea for F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:18 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322

Finally, I get the safety push, but the tracks dont help at all and no great tracks with "*****" corners that separate drivers that much anymore. Part of what I love about Spa and Eau Rouge and the old Lesmos at Monza and Tamburello at Imola.

It doesn't matter how good the corner is if guys are driving 7/10ths to preserve tires/fuel.

The fix is to refuel, new tires, run ***** out. Rinse Repeat. I'd rather see them refuel with gas cans as long as it meant really forcing guys to drive the cars all out. There is also the aspect of fuel strategies taken away now.

Bernie's gimmicks are not going to help.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
There's still at least two REAL GOOD ones @ Mosport (oops, CTMP)---bring back F1!

Gary
.....car looks awesome, Erik
Thanks Gary - looks like we have a few matching events this year so will be great to see you.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
It doesn't matter how good the corner is if guys are driving 7/10ths to preserve tires/fuel.

The fix is to refuel, new tires, run ***** out. Rinse Repeat. I'd rather see them refuel with gas cans as long as it meant really forcing guys to drive the cars all out. There is also the aspect of fuel strategies taken away now.

Bernie's gimmicks are not going to help.
See, I never like refueling. Load the car up with fuel and run whatever tires you want. Open the engines back up to a certain design limitation (I think around '91 it was 3.5 liters in any configuration you wanted - 8, 10 or 12 cylinder). Make the limit on fuel again so there is some minor constraint, but not such that the 10's would be running out at every track. Then let them at it and give them the ability to fight or out think the competition with strategy. Soft tires might be faster, but require more stops and are shot at the end of the race so hanging on for dear life while someone with a harder compound hunts you down. Let the teams make the choice on what they run. The more that everything is mandated and standardized, the worse the racing and spectacle has become.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

It seems that each of the past decades had something to really endear people (like me) to F1....in the 80s it was the brute turbo power--I love reading about how the drivers back then coped with all of it. 90s and 00s, apart from the speed, was the sound of the cars; not for everybody but to me they sounded downright, well, evil....at the start of races they sounded like a bunch of ghouls from hell! And now.....makes you wonder just how it got from there to....here

Gary
Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

have you guys ever played Anki Overdrive? https://anki.com/en-us
It's basically a slot car racing game without the slots, and there are virtual power ups, guns, mines, missiles, etc. all a digital overlay onto and physical game. That's where F1 is going.

Quick Reply: Bernie has yet another crazy idea for F1