Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I was a hold out on safety equipment for longer than most. (15 years of DE and many of instruction)

I didn't want to "ruin" my street car by installing stuff that made it annoying to use on the street which is it's primary use.

I drove my car to and from the track, took all the tools and spares I could possibly need with me in the car.

Alas, after seeing one too many incidents I finally decided I couldn't count on just trusting myself, I needed to protect myself from others and the unknown.

I've found a nice middle ground with a back half roll bar, 6 point harness and H&N restraint device. While I know I could still add more gear to protect myself even further I feel much more safe now.

I will admit...it has made the car more difficult to use as I please. I had to buy truck and trailer and trailer to the track as I no longer have the ability to bring the spares I deem necessary with me with the safety equipment in the car. It's made me realize that a dedicated track car may make more sense at this point in the game.

Everyone has a different level of acceptable risk. Decide what yours is and go with it.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I was a hold out on safety equipment for longer than most. (15 years of DE and many of instruction)

I didn't want to "ruin" my street car by installing stuff that made it annoying to use on the street which is it's primary use.

I drove my car to and from the track, took all the tools and spares I could possibly need with me in the car.

Alas, after seeing one too many incidents I finally decided I couldn't count on just trusting myself, I needed to protect myself from others and the unknown.

I've found a nice middle ground with a back half roll bar, 6 point harness and H&N restraint device. While I know I could still add more gear to protect myself even further I feel much more safe now.

I will admit...it has made the car more difficult to use as I please. I had to buy truck and trailer and trailer to the track as I no longer have the ability to bring the spares I deem necessary with me with the safety equipment in the car. It's made me realize that a dedicated track car may make more sense at this point in the game.

Everyone has a different level of acceptable risk. Decide what yours is and go with it.
Great post, and good advice!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

The pain of acquiring a truck and trailer is worth it. When I show up Saturday morning the only thing the car needs is its windows removed. Unloading and setup is a simple 15 minute affair. I don't like rushing to make my session and feel the relaxed morning also improves my safety and performance level.

Plus, after a long weekend, the truck is much more comfortable for the ride home.

-Mike
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
This FIA approved HANS-with-3-point-belt system is interesting: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/

Apologies if this has been beaten to death, but (after a search) it doesn't seem to have been discussed much.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Karl.
That is what I switched to for use in cars with and without harnesses. While it has been tested with 3 point belts I do not believe and data has been released regarding the results of these tests. I feel it definitely provides more protection than nothing (with 3 points), so i use it.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
The pain of acquiring a truck and trailer is worth it. When I show up Saturday morning the only thing the car needs is its windows removed. Unloading and setup is a simple 15 minute affair. I don't like rushing to make my session and feel the relaxed morning also improves my safety and performance level.

Plus, after a long weekend, the truck is much more comfortable for the ride home.

-Mike
Enclosed trailer is the best money I ever spent. Everything always in the same place, packed and ready to go. Trailer acts as an additional garage and home away from home. Makes life much more simple.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

I've put off the truck and trailer by towing a small tire trailer behind my car. It holds all 4 race wheels/tires plus has a tool box with all my tools, spares, etc.

I've looked enviously at my friends with open aluminum trailers but I'd merely be replacing one set of PITA factors with another.

What I don't like about the tire trailer is having to setup and break down the car at the track before I can run/leave. It also means I can't put my euro rear bumper on so the car is ~50lbs heavier. However the tire trailer fits in my garage, is easy to maintain, etc.

Now that I have the Cayenne I've taken care of the truck portion. Otherwise I'd have needed to have gotten a dedicated truck, (expense to buy, maintain, insure and store) then buy the trailer (maintain, insure, store). Then I'd need to go pick up the trailer the day before the event out of storage, come home, load the car, hitch up the Cayenne, then drive to the track. Then load up at the track, drop the car at my house, take the trailer to storage, come home, etc, etc.

Honestly I don't think it's a time saving endeavor for me to have the trailer right now. Yes, it'd be useful in other ways to have a trailer but until I can store it at my residence I don't see myself buying one...
Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
I don't think it would be for me.

I don't have the land necessary to park a trailer at my house (I live on a 50 by 125 lot with more square footage in driveway concrete than grass), so a trailer would require paying for an extra parking spot somewhere else and extra trips to drop off and pick up for every DE (which docwyte describes above - oh, and I can't even park the trailer overnight on my street) and buying a tow vehicle that would have to be my daily driver. For the four or five weekends a year that I do DEs, it simply is not worth the hassle.

I won't dispute the notion that a truck would be more comfortable for the ride home (especially with the solid engine/transmission mounts). But I can pull in the garage after my last track session, pack up in about 5 minutes, be on the road before the brakes cool down, drive home, unpack in about 5 minutes. I can drive the RS to work the next morning if I want to (and often do to get the track grime washed off.)

I do risk getting stranded due to a breakdown, which has happened to me (in Atlanta of all places), but once you live through it, it's not as bad as you fear.

I've pondered the decision for years, but I've decided this is the best compromise for me personally. I have already told the wife when we get rid of the minivan after our kid stops playing hockey, a Cayenne will replace it. Then, I can revisit the trailer decision.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I've put off the truck and trailer by towing a small tire trailer behind my car. It holds all 4 race wheels/tires plus has a tool box with all my tools, spares, etc.

I've looked enviously at my friends with open aluminum trailers but I'd merely be replacing one set of PITA factors with another.

What I don't like about the tire trailer is having to setup and break down the car at the track before I can run/leave. It also means I can't put my euro rear bumper on so the car is ~50lbs heavier. However the tire trailer fits in my garage, is easy to maintain, etc....
Would that be for HPR mainly or do you tow it over larger distances as well?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

I've towed it all the way out to Miller Motorsports Park and Hastings, so ~450-500 miles each way. No issues but at some point I want to replace the 12" Harbor Freight tires with real 14-15" car tires...
Old 08-31-2015, 04:07 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be slightly OT but I just bought a new "halo" seat. I "tried" it on in the local dealers show room but wish I had been able to try it on with my helmet and Hans. It worked great at Indy but I found that my head turn was restricted more than normal with the tether in certain turns at RA. Turn one in particular. The seat is a newer FAI model with narrow seat width. Might have to look at changing the Hans tether strap. Shoulder harness was correct (new Schroth 2" Hans).
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

My second year on track =>Half roll bar, 6 point, and Porsche Recaro seats (perfectly comfortable on a long drive). At the speeds I was carrying, this was a no-brainer in my eyes. This is my daily driver. Totally happy with it as a DD.
I towed two sets of tires and tools with a utility trailer.

6 point belt==HANS. (I never understood why people think HANS is a luxury).

One think not mentioned is hearing protection.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far a great safety discussion, I also have been driving my car to the track for almost 10 years. I've been really fortunate to my great friend and track partner trailer my track wheels for years.. Balancing track safety with street drivability and pleasure is achievable by putting a little water in your wine..
I agree with most suggestions.
Half cage, not a harness bar
Harnesses, 6 point preferred
Proper race seats, lots of choices..
HANS, I would feel naked without it

Just one addition No one talked about a seat brace, which can really protect you in certain impacts.. OH. The most common track incidents in people driving over their heads.. Please ensure you bring your brain to the track, that no equipment can replace.

Keep safe.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incident free events are very UN-commom.
Bringing brains to the events are mandatory.
Unfortunately human errors (brains make mistakes) are also common especially when unexpected events occur.
Your corner workers are a huge element of safety. Allow them to help you. Read their flags. Red flags mean stop safely.
Just saying.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
Red flags mean stop safely.
Just saying.
Let me expand that - Red Flag means look in your mirrors, pull off line and come to a stop safely to a point in the track where you can see the next flag station.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?

Das half cage, 6 pt. HANS, halon, pagid (brakes are part of a safety system) high temp fluid. It's my family car too so all that comes out for beach trips and such.

Quick Reply: What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?